DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also been documented that there can be a damaging psychological effect related to misgendering someone who is Transgender or Non-Binary by intentionally using the wrong pronouns or calling them by a name that doesn't match their true self-identity.

Captaindemotion and Jinn like this.
  2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"They" are not some "dude"

It's just common courtesy for a person regardless of whether they're a celebrity or not.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've had some IRL conversations on this and that's become my fallback plea to reluctant people. Like you see Ted Cruz getting up before a crowd and saying my pronouns are "Kiss my ass" yet his given name is Rafael.

4. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Keaton as Batman a lot, didn't like him basically bashing the films and other comic book/blockbuster films decades later for a comeback in Birdman. And after that doing Homecoming and trying to reprise Batman feels even sadder and more opportunistic.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hm? First off, Keaton didn't write or direct Birdman, he's just the guy the writer/director chose to star in the film. So it's odd to give him credit/blame for the film's choices. Second, I haven't seen the film, but from reading about it, it seems that any satire of superhero movies is a minor element of a story that's about a lot of other things.

Besides, there are a lot of works enjoyed by comics/superhero fans that "bash," satirize, or deconstruct superhero comics, like Batman '66, The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Mystery Men, The Boys, etc. You can enjoy both the thing itself and the things that critique or poke fun at it.

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I would love to see Keaton back as Batman. It would be refreshing to see an older superhero. I also wouldn't mind if he gets a solo Batman movie, or Maguire back as Spiderman in a solo Spiderman movie.
    Instead of another young superhero movie

7. Mr. Adventure

Thinking of Keaton as a superhero, have they ever augmented Batman's suit with some form of powered strength enhancement? I realize he's not Iron Man but with all his amazing tech it wouldn't seem unreasonable.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On numerous occasions, including The Dark Knight Returns when he fought Superman, and in Batman Begins before Bruce retired and occasionally when he came out of retirement.

9. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People getting called by nicknames they don't prefer happens all the time, and it doesn't get anyone "cancelled" so I'd say there is a difference between the way we treat names and pronouns.

It also occured to me that since pronowns were created to be used in the absence of the person being discussed, and they exist solely for the convenience of a third party,
    no one should actually be able to choose their own pronouns. They should be whatever makes communication about you the clearest.

10. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Transphobia has no place on this forum. Shitpost on Reddit or somewhere else. You will not receive any further caution on this.

11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It really isn't. If you can't treat someone with respect, don't say anything at all.

12. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Keaton's Batman movies are among the most overrated I have ever seen. I had tried so hard to like them. Especially the first movie. I really did. But in the end, I realized that could only view them as mediocre.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I appreciate those Burton films for what they are. I have never really considered them Batman films and I was highly disappointed at Batman (89) because I went in to see it expecting to see a version of Batman that I knew from the comics. I didn't watch Batman Returns until somebody told me it was a really good Tim Burton movie with Burton style characters. I watched it on VHS and really liked it. But I have never really looked at it as anything more than some "out there" take on the character like in Miller's DKR.

14. Mr. Adventure

I've never read more than a handful of Detective Comics and other pure Batman titles. I think my first introduction to Batman was on the Superfriends and his Filmation shows, as a guest on Scooby Doo, from stories on 45 records, from Worlds's Greatest Superheroes newspaper comics (my grandpa used to cut them out and save them for me, I still have some of them), and so on. Later there was Burton Batman, Schumacher Batman, Batman '66 on Nick at Nite, Batman Elseworlds stories, Batman vs. Predator, BTAS, all the later Batman cartoons, animated Batman movies, the Arkham video game series, Nolan movies, Snyder movies, the Reeves movie, and God knows how many I'm forgetting.

Point is, Batman has been part of my life for as long as I can remember but he's always been pretty malleable. Maybe if I read the comics more I'd have a more definitive take on what Batman must be.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It reminds me of that time when it looked like DLR was rejoining Van Halen. MTV ran ads celebrating it.

16. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It's the most basic level of respect you can show another human being, if you can't handle that low bar you have no place in society. It is literally the least you can do.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true. But you should know that people are not addressed by their gendered pronouns. They are described or referred to with gendered pronouns, in speech spoken to someone else.

18. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

You aren't helping. Stop it.

Tuskin38 and Captaindemotion like this.
  19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I viewed the 1st Burton Batman film as misguided drek when it premiered. Burton's neverending, upside-down obsessions--topped off by casting Keaton--resulted in something that was only Batman in name only. There was no part of Keaton's performance that seemed to be drawn from any era of the character's published life (and no, it was certainly not like Frank Miller's interpretation). Burton's Bat-world was not one I wanted to see explored, or ever expand to involve other DC heroes (which was short-lived chatter floating around after the 2nd Burton Bat film). Its incredible that it took decades to finally see a live action Batman portrayed in a way consistent with various eras of the comic version by Bale and Affleck.

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

That is not what I said. I said that I treat Burton's Batman as an alternate take on Batman, similar to DKR, which is to say it is a unique take that didn't resemble the in continuity version of the character. Writers from the 90s onward drew upon Miller's Batman in ways that Miller never really intended.