DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Turtletrekker and Ovation like this.
  2. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good for him. I'm not fond of many recent Joker interpretations, but that doesn't mean the ones I am fond of have disappeared.

I'm hoping it's good, but if it's not, that's okay too. It's just like in the comics. Some interpretations are better than others. You'd think comic fans would be used to that by now.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. dahj

4. dahj

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

6. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

If this is true about Cavill and Affleck, I'm through. I'm through. I'm through with the Warner Bros. suits fucking up what had started as a damn good thing, because they got their undies in a twist over the failure of "Justice League" . . . something that was THEIR FUCKING FAULT. They've allowed the media and the fuckwad fanboys to get under their skins and ruin everything. Fuck them.

And after "Avengers 4", I'm through supporting the MCU. Because I'm getting tired of being told that their movies are the greatest comic book movies ever made, when I keep encountering plot holes, which are slowly ruining the quality of the franchise.

I might watch the occasional comic book movie . . . who knows? But I'm through with both the DCEU and the MCU.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Brandon Routh's ears just perked up... I'd be all for putting him back in the roll. He's stayed in shape and, frankly, I think looks better now than he did then. It won't happen, but I bet there will be some feelers out there from his agency. Heck if Bond can go from Connery to Lazenby and then back to Connery... Why not?

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm shocked that an asshole actor shits on the only people who would be willing to see his shit movie, just shocked. Maybe the guy from Signs and...basically nothing besides Signs that isn't artsy shit shouldn't take on a comic book based movie. I knew he was one of these kinds of assholes, and his movie is going to be such fucking shit. How can DC find a more pretentious prick to play Joker? I thought that Jared Leto was the most pretentious asshole actor in modern history, but at this point Phoenix might actually beat him as the worst Joker. that's impressive because Jared Leto, in my opinion, played the worst version of an established comic book character in any superhero production ever made. Well, I guess Phoenix will be swinging for the fences with his shitty portrayal (yes, this is a Signs joke).

As for Cavill going, good riddance. He was ok in Justice League, but hopefully him leaving means the next Superman won't be born from Snyder's shitty Ayn Rand influenced mind mixed with David Goyer's incompetence.

Trekker4747 likes this.
  9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I can't help thinking DC have little left to save now. This is terminal.

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

DC isn't terminal, they're cutting out a lot of the shit that didn't work (not all of it, but a lot) and moving on from the stupid plan they'd made with Snyder. Sure, we still have the shit Margot Robbie Harley focused movie that will probably get made, and the Phoenix Joker film, but at this point moving on from what really didn't work with the heroic characters and regrouping with the bit that did (Wonder Woman) and making a new path is the best option for DC.

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Well they have Shazam and Wonder Woman 1984.

From that shaky foundation comes a potential movie for "Supergirl" and maybe Batgirl. I think if DC actually THINKS this time they can capitalize on the female empowerment movement happening right now.

Wonder Woman team up with Supergirl if they play their cards right and don't screw things up again

Press the "REBOOT" button

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's too bad. While there's plenty about the Snyder movies that didn't work, I felt that Cavill was potentially an excellent Superman.

The other day I watched a clip of Christopher Reeve on The Muppet Show, and for a moment my mind slipped a gear and I thought I was watching Routh. I thought he was miscast in the role when I saw him in Superman Returns, but I guess the problem was with the direction rather than the casting, since now I can finally see the striking similarity to Reeve that people were talking about back then.

Why? It's just recasting a role. Film series have been recasting their lead actors for almost as long as there have been film series. How many different actors played Tarzan or Frankenstein's Monster? How many have played Batman?

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Henry's gone and my interest in the DECU continues to rapidly decline, I love MoS and I like BvS but more importantly Cavill is a good Clark & a good Superman. If a company botched my face with that horrible JL CGI, I'd probably would reconsider if that company (WB in this case) knows what the hell they are doing and are they worth the time and effort.

The Flashpoint movie at this rate is going to delete everything bar WW and Robbie's Harley Quinn.

WB couldn't run an orgy in a brothel.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

WB's issue is the same issue studios have had from day one with big budget comic book films - they don't like risk and once something hits (like to Nolan Batman film series, or of late Wonder Woman) - they shift and make every other comic book film they do in the same continuity ape the successes (IE they have a checklist of things that a new movie must have regardless of whether it fits the character or not.) <--- That's been WBs problem with the DCEU in a nutshell.

And to be honest the MCU did have a bit of that syndrome in that they were surprised with the response to the original "Iron Man" (they were hoping for a bigger budget and more 'flash'); and even tried to go bigger with Iron Man 2 (which IMO sucked); and they had Box Office under performers (like "Hulk") - but the suits at Marvel Studios in the end kept to their original plan (which was A RISK); and came out with a number of winners and a winning formula that doesn't require cloning one successful movie format ad nauseum. (And yes, they have had some clones as IMO "Ant Man" was pretty much the same plot and execution as the original Iron Man film; BUT it fit the characters, so it worked.) The MCU has tried different formats and been successful (IE Captain America: Winter Soldier was as much a 'spy thriller' as it was a comic book actioner) - and the MCU has made enough for Disney that they'd tried some really off beat stuff (Gaurdians of the Galaxy), again to success. The MCU now has enough traction with general audiences that they can experiment, and if they get a small dud here and there, the audience will still come back.

After the disappointments of MOS, Suicide Squad, and BvS; many in the circle of friends I go to these films with won't bother with a DCEU film in theaters - they'll wait for Cable/Netflix and then maybe.

And Warner Bros. continues the cycle in that since "Hey Supergirl is popular on TV atm - lets ditch Superman and put a bigger version of HER in theaters and were sure to get the TV fans to take a look...".

They also shelved the "Cyborg" film and for me he was the one new character they did the best with in "Justice league". IMO - They should have shelved "Aquaman" as I'm sorry, but never been a fan of teh character, nor do I care for Jason Mamoa's take on it.(YMMV).

They took Darkseid OUT of the JL film because they didn't want to risk a two part story and be locked into a sequel in JL bombed (and while I can't say it bombed, it did greatly under perform for what it reportedly cost to make; and I do think if they kept Snyders version intact, you'd have had a similar response ala BvS. But we'll never know.)

In the end WB wants the big Box Office, but has been overly risk adverse, and as a result, is constantly playing catch up trying to ape the MCU in areas, but not understanding why that doesn't/hasn't worked - and with their recent decisions, I don't see them getting a clue anytime soon.

15. dahj

Well that sucks. :(

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just curios, can you explain to me in BvS, why Superman had to weikld the Krytonite Sear (and die) in killing Doomsday? Wonder Woman was holding her own quite wekll, and to this day, I'll never understand why to supposedly highly intelligent DCU heroes ("Bruce Wayne" and Superman) did go - "Hey Diana, here's the Spear - bury it in Doomsdays chest!"

...Oh yeah...WB execs wanted to do their version of "Death Of Superman"™

Oh, and given the actual depicted events in MoS and BvS; can you explain WHY the world mourned THAT Superman so much? It would make sense if that funeral was for teh Superman version from the actual comics; but again given what the genral public saw of 'Superman' - I'd almost expect the general public o be cheering his demise/saying 'good riddance'. I mean as far as everyone knew (thanks to the Joker...er I mean Lex Luthor) Supes threw a tantrum and nuked Congress.

You want to talk plot holes or story point that make little sense? The DCEU is full of them as well.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  17. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I don't give a shit. I have never been a fan of Shazam. And the idea of the next Wonder Woman movie being in the 1980s annoys me.

What the fuck? The first DCEU movies were box office hits. And two of them made over 800 million dollars. One made over 700 million and a fourth film made over 600 million. Not even the MCU's first phase was this profitable. Yes, the two Iron Man movies made over 600 million dollars, but Phase I also featured THREE films that under performed - something which so many people are unwilling to acknowledge. Kevin Feige should have thanked his lucky stars that "The Avengers" was such a big hit.

The problem with WB is that they allowed the idiot critics and fanboys to get under their skin and ignore the fact that most of their DCEU movies were hits and that the franchise actually has a fucking fan base. But with the bitching and moaning about how "dark" the DCEU movies were or that Superman wasn't "their" Superman, the WB suits caved in to all this fucking nostalgia bullshit and interfered with "Justice League". Worse, the suits are hellbent upon turning the DCEU into a second-rate MCU.

And if I must be brutally frank, I believe the MCU has been on that trajectory since 2015. Yes, the franchise is making money at the box office. But everyone is so busy paying attention to the box office and the critics that they're turned a blind eye to the growing writing problems of the MCU. And these problems began with "Iron Man 3" and became even worse with "Age of Ultron", "Civil War" and the movies that followed. Even "Black Panther", "Infinity War" and "Ant-Man & the Wasp" have their share of writing problems, which many so many people are hellbent upon ignoring.

Like I said . . . I'm through with both franchises.

You're pissed because Superman killed Doomsday and not Wonder Woman? Seriously? When she was barely holding on to him with her lasso? You did notice that . . . right?

The public mourned Superman in that manner because he had just given his life to save the world from Doomsday. Remember?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  18. dahj

19. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

I dislike recastings in ongoing continuities, but I've never really warmed to Cavill in the role, so it's not the worst news I've ever heard.

The positive takeaway from the HR story is that the studio is still prioritizing a Supergirl movie, which I'd probably rather see anyway.

ETA: Oops, just saw dodge's post above, so I guess ... hold that thought?

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well, not purely because of this. We've done to death the separation from the TV shows, the flaws in the movies, the jumping straight in without doing the groundwork, doing Suicide Squad before introducing many of the heroes, the tone, the plot holes, the in-fighting etc. etc. This may just be the final straw.

One of the few strengths was the big three - Affleck was (surprisingly to me) one of the best things about the DC movies. It looks like he's gone and if Cavill goes, they're left with the (admittedly great) Godot, an imho badly written and horribly miscast Flash and a couple of unappealing 'D' list heroes in Aquaman and Cyborg. It's a mess. You could barely imagine the incompetence required to screw it all up so badly.

They were hanging on by their fingernails before this and I think there's a pretty slim chance of them turning it around now. Even if it was possible, I don't think they have people involved that are capable of pulling it off.

A reboot may be the least worst option.