DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

It looks like there's some sort of rigging attached to him, most likely for a flying scene. If that's the case then the cape would have to be CG or else it will get caught on the rigging.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Cool, looks like the Returns style suit. I always liked the "Gillman" stomach better than the sculpted abs. :)

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like he spilled the strawberry syrup from his IHOP waffles.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I just woke up and saw that moments ago during a quick Instagram scroll and did not realize what it was. It’s so close to the Batman Returns suit I assumed it was posted by a Cosplayer I followed. Plus I am half awake.

That is great to learn what it really is!! I am glad they are being inspired by the Batman Returns suit. Always a favorite of mine. Also it would have been regression for that version of the character to go back to the cruder version in the first movie. If you see costume designer Bob Ringwood’s first concept drawings the armor plating was his original idea on the first movie too.

Saul likes this.
  7. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't staying in the Returns suit also be a regression from where he probably would have ended up later on in his bat career?

I've never cared for the Returns look. I think Val Kilmer's (sans nipples) suit might have been my favourite, as I always hated the idea of Batman in armour. He's a ninja, not a samurai. Speed and agility, Sandy Collora's Batman suit showed it could work on screen beautifully. Modern design for these superhero costumes are too bulky with unnecessary pattern and detail as is, for some reason "less is more" seems to be almost painful to designers of late.

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Saul likes this.
  9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm, not so sure. Mythology aside, ninjas were peasants who operated by blending in with the crowd (the black suits are a theatrical convention they became identified with later on) and who couldn't afford much in the way of special weapons or gear. Batman is a member of the wealthy hereditary elite who wears masked headgear and uses expensive, high-quality equipment, making him more like a samurai, even if he does use ninja-like tactics. Neither one is a perfect analogy, largely because he isn't Japanese.

Although I agree with the underlying point that Batman should be mobile and flexible in action, not encased in a rigid rubber suit that he can't even turn his head in.

10. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Needs more Superman

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  11. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, I agree with the sentiment, but it’s gonna have Supergirl. I’m plenty hyped for that.

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

As most of you will know they are working on a Batman '89 comic which will be a sequel to Batman Returns and have Two-Face in it. They released some teaser image on the suit for that comic today and it looks a bit like an updated costume from Batman Returns mixed with Batman Begins. So far i can only find the image on social media but I'm starting to think that these comics might be tying into 'The Flash' movie and filling in the missing years.

13. thribs

Supergirl is just his minion. I want the real deal. :)
    Maybe I’m just just the wrong generation but Keaton as Batman doesn’t really excite me. Unless he constantly quotes TLC of course.

14. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

:mad:

Supergirl rocks.

15. thribs

Pre New 52 I liked her. Not so much now.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That looks decent. I'll always prefer the old Captain Marvel suit, but for the style they basically have to use it looks ok, probably a bit better then the suit in the first movie (although that one looked fine, too).

That was pretty funny.

I really hope that it doesn't mean that the movie is going full grimdark.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Love seeing the old Batman suit logo, and even if the suit is similar to the Returns suit, I would expect there to be some updating to it.
    The Shazam tease is funny.

Saul likes this.
  18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, and Cavill had another film as part of his contract. It would be thrilling to see his great Superman on screen again.

19. Dick Whitman

That was going to be my comment. Even if it appears superficially the same, there is no way it will be made the same. It’s infamous that Michael Keaton could not even turn his neck in either of his previous Batman suits. I can guarantee that he will have much greater impute in making this as comfortable as possible now.

When they recreated the 1990 Flash suit for John Wesley Shipp it looked the same but was much more comfortable. He shared behind the scenes photo - the cowl actually detached from the back and could be pulled down forward. I am imagining too that a built in cooling mechanism was planned. Unlike on original show were it was afterthought and an outside device was created after he was miserably hot.

20. Dick Whitman

In many ways the summer of 1989 was the biggest time for movies I can remember. I turned 11 that July so it was the time I was old enough to be aware of everything coming out. Reading the magazines and getting whatever my parents would allow. So it’s surreal that right now Michael Keaton is filming as Batman. Than next week Harrison Ford is starting filming on another Indiana Jones.

On top of which the surviving Ghostbusters finally made a sequel coming out this year. Only thing missing is Honey I Shrunk the Kids... and Disney already announced another movie with Rick Moranis.

Captaindemotion likes this.