DC Movies - To Infinity and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It’s not unlike the Donner Cut of Superman II. Interesting alternative that would not have passed muster as a theatrical release but is sufficiently different from that release to merit an examination. I’d be surprised if it never came out but I’d not expect it for several years.

2. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it?

Among many others to express support for the release of this cut are actors Jason Momoa, Gal Gadot, Ray Fisher, cinematographers Fabian Wagner and Lary Fong, directors Ben Affleck, Kevin Smith, Scott Derrickson, and former president of both DC and WB Diane Nelson.

All of them industry professionals who were either directly involved in the production, or have seen the cut itself or both. And you've dismissed them all out of hand as "being used to seeing rough cuts."

Do you have any idea how immensely arrogant you come across when you assert that you know better than all of those people what shape the movie is in and what would take to finish it?

So what, they're professionals when it comes to seeing and appreciating a rough cut, but once they've seen it they stop being professionals and suddenly don't realize the cut is in such a shape to be prohibitively expensive to finish?

And you call me evasive, yet avoid the five times it has been pointed out in this thread that Snyder himself thinks this is doable? If you don't accept the word of the guy that actually made it, short of actually showing it to you what can I or anyone else possibly say to convince you that you're wrong? :shrug:

CorporalCaptain and Ovation like this.
  3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I heard that Bryan Singer was going to do Superman Returns, I was VERY excited.... He had clearly proven he knew how to do modern superhero movies. And he was a Superman fan to boot! Willing to give go X Men 3 to jump on this?

The dude was a clear professional. And yet, the movie was...disappointing. I didnt hate it like many others, but totally underwhelmed.

What will really be different about a new edition of Justice League that will make it any good (or significantly better than the original) that it will replace future editions of the movie (like George Lucas has done)?

Do directors cut count as the original, or a separate film, if released? I dont see it being more than a Fantom event in America and possibly re released internationally.

For all the other special editions of movies...have any actually been a "success"..or just a footnote that a few fans liked better than the original?

P.S. while I often find Christopher arrogant, in this case I think he'd be right. Yeah, professionals from Justice League are hyping the "Snyder cut", but that is like James Cameron endorsing all of the Terminator reboots.

I mean , would any of them talk negatively of their experience in a franchise they can potentially come back for (not just the team but individual movies), or consider their past work a "failure" or "disappointment"?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    fireproof78 likes this.
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

In response to me, yes. You're assuming I'm the same as other people you've been having this argument with, and I'm not. I'm not invested in this whole stupid mess over the Snyder cut. I asked a simple question out of puzzlement, and instead of giving a simple, honest answer, you responded by attacking me. I should've known better than to wade into this shark pool.

Turtletrekker and fireproof78 like this.
  6. dahj

You complained it was unfair of me to say you'd ignore anything I say and then you quite literally cut off the sentence I wrote mid-quote and completely ignored the continuation of it (which was the honest, simple answer to your question that you claim you wanted...) so I'ma have to disagree here. :shrug:

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the Lucas comparison is apt. As much as I respect directors as professionals they still have blind spots.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So many people are whining about wanting the worse version of a mediocre film, that at this point I want them to release the rough cut in whatever crap state its in, just to shut them up. DC movies are not going back to Snyder's shitty style anyway, so letting the few (very loud) fans of Snyder's crap watch an incomplete movie would be worth it just to get some quiet.

Then again, once you give them this, they'll probably start crying to get Ayers shitty Suicide Squad cut, so maybe its a "we don't negotiate with terrorists" scenario for WB. Give a group of crazy people on the internet an inch, and they'll try to take a mile.

9. fireproof78

Yeah, that's the danger. Giving in to fan whining is not a long term viable strategy.

10. dahj

Uhm, the reason JL ended up as it did was precisely because they gave into fan whining...

Ovation and crookeddy like this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How so? Did fan whining somehow cause Snyder's daughter to commit suicide?
    We already got a director's cut of Suicide Squad.

N-121973 and Turtletrekker like this.
  12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You do know that was a cover story right? He was planning to work through it, but WB gave him an out.

13. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought I read somewhere that Donner didn't actually work on the Donner cut. Just gave some help to it. Also, in fairness, the Donner cut was never completed. With the first movie ending like it did, he would have had a completely different ending.

Agreed. It just wasn't right for Superman. They didn't get the character right. He cared. I saw that. But he made very bad choices that I felt didn't represent Superman well at all.

I never heard that before. But it wasn't WHINING that got Snyder off the set. It was a legit complaint. His movies were just not good.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Henry Cavill hasn’t given up on playing Superman again https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a29774618/henry-cavill-the-witcher-superman-interview/

15. fireproof78

Yes, and look at how it turned out...it doesn't work out.

16. dahj

Yeah, but this is different, because it whining to turn back the effects of the previous whining, a rewhining if you will. :p

Ovation and crookeddy like this.
  17. fireproof78

No! Not the dread rewhining!!! :wtf: :D

18. dahj

Be kind, rewhine. ;)

19. fireproof78

Rewhining is ever better on Beta Max!

Ovation likes this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really really like this word - rewhining.