DC launching digital service with Titans and Young Justice

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, there is just much interesting stuff being planned on these streaming services. It was bad enough when they were going to put Season 3 of Young Justice on there, but knowing this is going to be on there to is going to make it really hard to resist.

4. Christopher

I'd be more enthusiastic about an animated Harley Quinn series if it weren't from the creators of Powerless. That show ranged from mildly decent to awful. The only really good thing about it was its main title sequence.

crookeddy likes this.
  5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

If the HQ series takes inspiration from BTAS and the older comics stuff, I'll be interested. If its more like Suicide Squad/New 52 Harley, I definitely won't watch.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do all your posts follow a template?

7. kirk55555

I'm consistent with my opinions, although liking old Harley over DCEU/New 52 versions isn't exactly an uncommon opinion.

Tosk likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Christopher

So the Harley Quinn series does involve the creators of Powerless but does not involve the creator of Harley Quinn herself? Neither of those is a good sign.

10. kirk55555

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I only saw the pilot of Powerless so I can't really comment on the people from it, but I'm not that concerned about the lack of Dini. Plenty of other people have written her over the years, so him not being involved doesn't really hurt my interest in the show.

12. kirk55555

Plenty of people have written her, and the number that succeeded can probably be counted on one hand. In cartoons I think the BTAS writers are the only people to write her well, with the only decent variant being the Harley from The Batman (who was a talk show psychiatrist, like Dr. Phil but with a relationship focus), and that was the only episode of The Batman written by Paul Dini. The comics (pre August 2011) tended to do a better job, but even then the best stuff was usually Dini's.

13. Christopher

Then let's say there's one thing that hurts my interest and one thing that doesn't help.

14. Christopher

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that is pretty good, although I would have to get to see the whole thing.

16. Christopher

I was expecting him to be Nightwing instead, but the article suggests they went with Robin to distinguish it from the Nightwing movie being developed. Still, I wouldn't mind if they showed his transition from Robin to Nightwing in the show -- and did it better than the original comics did. I read that storyline for the first time recently, and I was surprised that the big debut of Nightwing happened when none of the other Titans were around, because they'd all been taken captive by Deathstroke -- and that it happened on the same page as the debut of Jericho's costumed identity, which kind of stole Dick's thunder. I'd had the expectation that the Nightwing reveal happened while the other Titans were around, but now that I think about it, I must've been thinking of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode where that happened.

17. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Robin?

Well that's unexpected, considering the age I totally expected Dick to be Nightwing by now.

I thought they relaxed those restrictions, since there's Deathstroke on Arrow, and a movie in development as well.

18. Christopher

In the original Teen Titans comics, Dick was Robin for several dozen issues before he became Nightwing. As I said, maybe we'll see his transition on the show at some point.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think characters like Deathstroke might be an exception since he was already a major player on Arrow before he was brought into the DCEU.

20. Christopher

I'm kind of hoping that Titans is on one of the 53 Earths in the Arrowmultiverse, so that Manu Bennett can play a villainous doppelganger of Deathstroke. I mean, the Earth-1 Slade Wilson is an antihero these days, so I can't see him going to a place that would let him fit into a "Judas Contract" adaptation, say. But it'd be weird to have yet another actor play the role.