DC Comics: Rebirth

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by theenglish, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Batman #21-- Cue the Bat-fanboys crying "No way! Batman would have totally prepared for that! He's always got a plan!"

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

This is really Marvel news, and I'm sure someone will post this news there soon, but since I never frequent the Marvel thread, ...

Looks like Marvel took notice of DC's recent success.

This reads like they're not even trying to hide they're really aping Rebirth.

3. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    AC and DC returned to their original numbering, but I think Kai's referring to the fact that the Marvel Legacy one-shot sounds like a word-for-word description of DC Rebirth one-shot.

5. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

I'm enjoying Mother Panic - but in the grand scheme of things, I'm enjoying Green Arrow more, and if I need to cull titles and switch to graphics, then I'm going to move MP over first and only keep buying GA on a monthly/fortnightly basis. I need to do a similar cull of my Marvel titles.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Marvel Publishing seems to be just clueless about everything these days. Doesn't help they seem to be lead by someone who despises superheroes as a genre. Copying DC is still better than nothing. Maybe it'll turn out instead of Dr. Manhattan, it'll be Miracle Man who has been messing with everyone.

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This week's issue of Action Comics "clarifies" the revised history of Superman after the Pre-Flashpoint Superman has been merged with his New 52 counterpart. It's mostly the familiar post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint history with a few New 52 elements here and there.

Red trunks are back! At least as a part of the characters history. Superman tarted his career wearing the classic suit, at some point changed to Jim Lee's armored suit, then the current version of the costume. Also glimpsed his gladiator togs from the Exiled storyline and his Kryptonian outfit from the from the tale where Clark was influenced by the Eradicator artifact to embrace his Kryptonian side.

The Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen/Return of Superman is back in continuity, although maybe without Conner Kent as part of the mix. There's a Cyborg Superman but it's unclear if it's Hank Henshaw or Zor-El.

Newsarama has an article on the changes.

8. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Presumably Zor-El as
    the New-52/Rebirth version of Henshaw (though a villian and working with Blank, Metallo and Eradicator as the new Superman Revenge Squad) is not a cyborg.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The last we saw of Hank Henshaw, he was still fully human. He was caught in the explosion at Superman's Tibetan fortress, though.

10. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Still looks pretty human to me:

[​IMG]

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Regarding Superman, I think this is the first time I've actually predicted a major comics event.

12. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm really enjoying The Button though it doesn't look like it'll move the Watchmen plot by much unless the last issue really kicks it into overdrive(Flash #22 has been delayed a week, by the way.)

Also, I was grinning throughout the latest Green Lanterns issue, can't wait for next one when
    Jessica trains with Guy. :D

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Same feeling here. I'm liking it a lot... but I was expecting something else at the end of Batman #22. Specifically...

I really thought we were going to see unambiguously a Watchmen character on the last page. (I know a lot of people think Mr. Oz is Ozymandias. I'm still not certain.) We, as readers, know where the button came from and who it belonged to. I thought, three chapters in, at the very end, Flash and Batman would at least find the world where the button came from.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I am still amazed a book by Humphries is actually good. Did DC give him a lobotomy or something?

15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't they say this would be a 2 year arc? If so, there's probably not a lot they are going to show with a year still left to go.

16. theenglish

Yeah, it is more or less a two year arc, with the end fully re-establishing the pre-Flashpoint universe except for the characters and stories DC feels are popular enough in 2018.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing that has happened since 2011 is worth a damn. Not becuase it's not good, but because it's all about to be vaporized and renditioned.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If you enjoyed it, then it was worth a damn.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  19. theenglish

Read what Guy said--you're not disagreeing with him.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  20. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Can't wait to get the trades and read all of this Rebirth stuff.

Haven't read a DC comic outside of the Super Dad mini series and Convergence since 2011.