DC Comics: Rebirth

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by theenglish, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I've picked up a few limited series from Boom! They've got some really interesting stuff coming out.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they've had a few things that have caught my eye, some original and some tie ins.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

getting the license for Power Rangers is a big deal for Boom! i really liked their Planet of the Apes comics and the Munchkin comic is great.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are ones I've been thinking about checking out. They've got some other tie-ins for stuff I like, Adventure Time, Farscape, Bill & Ted, and some originals that caught my eye like Hexed, Higher Earth and Six-Gun Gorilla.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I can recommend George Perez' Sirens, a real treat (and Perez is finally able to finish his work on this miniseries). It has an all-female team of superheroes from the far future, time travel, space battles, dragons, witchcraft, and a meta level on comic books. And Perez' story-telling and art, of course.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Sirens sounds pretty good--I think I'll check it out. I'm a huge fan of Perez' work.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I've never heard of BOOM! before now :eek:

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how Superman 1 makes it clear anyone who thinks they are getting a brighter more optimistic DCU has been sold a bill of goods...

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes: A brighter, more optimistic DC overall doesn't mean there will be no dark or somber moments. Yeah, Superman #1 had some pretty messed up moments, but they fit the story, and overall the issue was compelling. DC hasn't "sold a bill of goods", or at least if they have this issue didn't reveal anything like that. Even if the whole first story arc is dark, it doesn't prove anything. Its about the whole universe as a whole. If they had no dark stories, that would be a bit weird.

Plus, it was a well written story regardless. DC doesn't have to go back to silver age light goofiness (as much as I enjoy that, and having a comic or two like that would be fine, it doesn't fit as an overall tone anymore). They just need a better balance of light to dark, and better writing. DC could fail at this, but so far its looking good to me.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Superman #1 was purty, but nothing happened in it. There isn't even a villain.
    Batman #1 was also pretty light on plot.
    Obviously "Mister Gotham" is going to turn out to be a villain pretending to be a hero and he's behind the plane bombing. They shot it down just so they could conveniently appear to save it. I do like the idea of Bats dealing with a super-powered hero in Gotham. Actually, they're totally ripping off the awesome Batman story I have all worked :wah:

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are some of the Rebirth issues coming out next month? I thought all of the issues for this month were going to be either Rebirths or #1s, but this week's Justice League was still on the New52 numbering.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Action Comics and Detective Comics went back to the 900s.

That reminds me, Justice League #51. It was alright. Wish they had a more A list artist for such a top tier book though. I do like how they establish an official excuse to drag pre-52 characters into the new world though.

13. Kai "the spy"

The approach is different from The New 52. Not every series will start with a new #1, and those that do are spread over several months. Also, not every hero gets their own Rebirth special.

July will have Rebirth specials for "Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps", "Batgirl & the Birds of Prey", "Hellblazer", "Justice League", "Nightwing" and "Red Hood & the Outlaws".

After that, there are still some Rebirth specials announced for August and beyond, for "Batman Beyond", "Blue Beetle", "Cyborg", "Deathstroke", "Earth 2", "Suicide Squad", "Supergirl", "Teen Titans" and "Trinity".

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They killed a man because they wanted to change a collar without admitting that the collar was a bad idea?

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I thought Titans and Green Lanterns were off to a good start. Of course I am a sucker the old school Titans line up and I have a soft spot for Lilith. It seems the book is taking the point for the Rebirth plot line as shown in
    Justice League
    and Titans Rebirth.I hope we see more the old Titans in future issues. I liked GLs more than I thought I would. Much better than the previous GL books. Baz and Cruz make an interesting team and its good they are very different. With a concept like the Green Lanterns, where the power set is the same, characterization is important.

Green Arrow was good too. Nice to see Oliie getting back to his "roots", though clearly he is heading towards a fall. And that ending. Didn't see that coming. I'm liking Black Canary's role, it reminds me of Ollie's questioning of Hal backing the GL/GA days. Odd aside, in the real world a billionaire hooking up with a rock star would generate all sorts of headlines. So I have to wonder if the writer will play off this.

Superman was okay. Mostly set up. Poor Goldie. :( Superman also seems to be on the point for Rebirth as well, if the Mister Oz speculation pans out. Family man Supes isn't my favorite take, but so far the various books have been entertaining.

Enjoyed Batman. Some nice action hero moments. Didn't expect Gotham to have the power levels he displayed. Figured he'd be a costumed athlete like Batman. I guess the chest emblem should have been a clue.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see. I thought all of the series were renumbering, except for Action and Detective comics, getting and a Rebirth issue. So is JL continuing on with it's current numbering then, or just renumbering later?

17. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Later. Next month.

18. Kai "the spy"

Yeah, the new Justice League #1 will be released two weeks after the Rebirth issue, and will be published bi-weekly (or close to that) afterwards. They've also announced a renumbering for JLA, with that also being twice monthly, so the Justice League will have a book out every week, like Superman and Batman do now.

19. Kai "the spy"

Not really Rebirth-related, but I thought this was the best thread to put this in.

[​IMG]

I hope there'll also be an animated short by Bruce Timm, like there were for Superman and Batman.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel DC should've also taken Wonder Woman back to the 600s which is where the title had been at(after some crazy accounting earlier) when nu52 started.