DC Comics Ongoing Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by theenglish, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Each Sector has two. Currently the GLs for the Sector Earth is (2814) in are Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz. The other humans aren't assigned to any sectors. They have some sort of special status in the Corps, a couple are part of the Honor Guard.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK.

3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

4. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh-huh. :shifty:

Don’t get me wrong, I like Jon fine, but there’s only one Superman.

Savage Dragon likes this.
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does Challenge of the Supersons take place in the past? I keep seeing an older Jon on the cover of some books, but then he still looks younger on the covers for Challenge of the Supersons.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I like both creators, and I like Jon Kent as a supporting character, but not enough to see a regular Superman title replaced.

The Realist likes this.
  7. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's the real sticking point here. I'm all for more Super-titles: Supergirl, Superboy, Superwoman, New Super-Man -- I've bought 'em all, and the more the merrier. Perfectly happy for Jon to have a book, just don't be taking one of Clark's away in the process.

dupersuper and Savage Dragon like this.
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not sure how the current Supersons book fits. The original one took place in what was the present. Then Jon went into Space, some timey-whimey stuff happened and Jon returned as a teenager. I guess Challenge takes place during the original run or maybe in a different continuity.

9. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup: before Jon got aged up.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't get any of the Future State Superman stuff. Any ideas which of those tie in to the new Jonathan Kent series and Superman story? The House of El and the Worlds at War series it seems? It also appears that despite the advertising, this is a limited story as Superman and The Authority are replacing the ongoing Superman series.

11. Kai "the spy"

In regards to the Jon Kent book I'm giving them some leeway as the current Superman writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson has alluded to a bigger narrative over the next few years, likening it to the Funeral for a Friend and Reign of the Superman in scope and the way the single stories are narratively linked. While he's not the writer of the Jon Kent book, this obviously was planned ahead and the synopsis reads very much like what he's currently doing in his books.

Meanwhile, another new title has been announced for July, an 8-issue miniseries starring Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) and Booster Gold, by Dan Jurgens and Ryan Sook.

Savage Dragon likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And now a third new series, Justice League Infinity, a sequel to Justice League Unlimited, which picks up right after the end of the series finale. It's being written by James Tucker and J.M. DeMatteis, who both worked on the TV series, and will focus on the pre-Unlimited cast of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, and John Stewart/Green Lantern.

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  13. Kai "the spy"

Guess the Batman: The Adventures Continue sold enough issues. Maybe, next year we'll get a similar miniseries continuing Superman TAS.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

M'rk son of Mogh likes this.
  15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm going to check it out. I felt she was one of the few bright spots in Future State.

M'rk son of Mogh likes this.
  16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so excited for this. When Dan Jurgens is good he is very good, and this seems like the perfect project for him.

As for the other stuff, I can't stand aged up John Kent, so it looks like I'll be staying far away from Superman books for at least the next few years. Justice League Ibfinity is something I doubt will have the feel of the original show, and I've become less and less impressed with DeMatteis's writing over time anyway, so as much as I love the show I'm giving that comic a pass. As for the Wonder Girl series, Future Slate was godawful and I'm not bothering with any spin offs, except maybe some of the infinite frontier stuff, because even terrible JSA related stuff is interesting after about a decade without any (the shitty New 52 Earth 2 stuff does not count as JSA related to me).

17. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No Flash?

18. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing I am liking about the Infinite Frontier slate is the number of mini-series focusing on characters who are well known and loved but not popular enough to sustain their own ongoing series. The problem is that there are now too many of them and I'm going to have to pick and choose.

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  20. Kai "the spy"

Yeah, feels like at least two new miniseries per month I want to buy. Already had to restrain from ordering the new LotDK and decided to trade-wait for the Chip Zdarsky JL one. And the Superman '78 and Batman '89 releases haven't even been solicited, yet. Wonder whether not spreading out more because they got even more down the pipeline.

Edit:

The results from thesecond round of DC' Round Robin are in:
    [​IMG]
    And I'm not enthusiastic about them. Personally, I would have voted the other way on each and every one of those four brackets in round two. Only one title I'm kind of interested in remains in the running.