News Daniel Craig signs up for Bond 25, Christopher Nolan in talks to direct

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bantha Claus, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Well, I don't really know the pre-Brosnan movies, so maybe they were just as dull, story-wise, but at least they had villains with diabolical plots and palatial lairs, right? Die Another Day gave us both those things, but the producers seem terrified of doing anything like that again.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

3. The Scrooge Doctor

The Scrooge Doctor Bah humbug! Premium Member

That's no surprise, especially considering the backlash.

I'm probably the only person who actually liked it but whatever.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  4. Captaindemotion

I liked it too. I mean, this is a franchise with a film called Octopussy, FFS!

Serial thread killer likes this.
  5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

You know what I like about you British? Octopussy. Why, I must have seen that movie...twice.

6. Cult Classic

Cult Classic Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aw, I have a soft spot for Octopussy!

Phaser Two likes this.
  7. Captaindemotion

I’m Irish :-)

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well there was a, probably justified, perception after DAD that they'd gone too far and needed to dial back the franchise. The same thing happened after Moonraker, it's no surprise that For Your Eyes Only is one of Moore's least fantastical and grittiest films, and you're probably looking at Goldeneye before you get back to that diabolical lair/evil plan kinda thing (every villain in between has a plan that's essentially grounded in reality, even Walken blowing up the San Andreas fault).

The arrival of Craig also coincided with a cinematic shift anyway, yes the influence of Bourne is there (don't ask me why I'm one of the few who detest that franchise) but the real influence is Nolan's Batman films, that idea of grounding something that's essentially fantastical in the believable. Of course the ground is shifting again now with Marvel, Kingsman etc, and if I had to put money down I'd bet that Bond #25 isn't going to go with anything too ridiculous, but that the next 007 and the Bond #26 film might see a return to a lighter, less grounded, more Moore/ Brosnoany tone.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

By the way, shameless self promotion here, I've given myself the task of re-watching and reviewing every canon Bond film, in order, between now and Bond #25 coming out so please check out my blog if you're interested (so far I've got as far as Dr No but I figure so long as I watch one every 3 weeks or so I should manage it!)

Phaser Two and Captaindemotion like this.
  10. Kai "the spy" (Holiday Special)

Kai "the spy" (Holiday Special) Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. You think you can keep up the pace of two movies per year?

Gaith likes this.
  11. The Wormhole

I did take note of that, but I'm guessing by your smiley you know what I was quoting.
    That invisible car sure casts a long shadow.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  12. Captaindemotion

13. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It reminds me of the three back-to-back Roger Moore films that had sequences in different parts of Italy, Sardinia for 'the Spy Who Loved Me', Venice for 'Moonraker' & the Italian Alps for 'For Your Eyes Only'. In everyone, an Italian member of the production team had a small non-speaking part as a holiday maker who did a double take and thought he was drinking too much when he saw Bond perform something fantastical.

Phaser Two and Captaindemotion like this.
  14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The worst thing is it could have worked, the tech, whilst obviously not really available even now, is feasible. If it'd just blended in with its surroundings rather than being actually invisible!

I still rather like DAD, the invisible car bothers me less than Graves' robot suit!

Outside of Istanbul for the pre title sequence, and some second unit work in Shanghai wasn't Skyfall filmed almost entirely in the UK?

At the moment it looks like Norway, Italy and Jamaica so far for Bond #25

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Looks like Bond #25 might have another new working title. Eclipse. Frankly I think Shatterhand would be better, at least it doesn't sound like a Twilight movie!

Captaindemotion and Phaser Two like this.
  16. The Scrooge Doctor

As someone who majored in physics and is an astronomy enthusiast, Twilight is the last thing I think of when I see the word "eclipse," even as a title. :p

Captaindemotion and Starkers like this.
  17. Kai "the spy" (Holiday Special)

Kai "the spy" (Holiday Special) Vice Admiral Admiral

Theme song by Bonnie Tyler, I'm guessing.

Captaindemotion and Starkers like this.
  18. The Wormhole

Nah, that could clash with the new Picard show's theme song, "Total Eclipse of Picard."

Starkers likes this.
  19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Had a thought, maybe they're pulling a Day of the Doctor on us, maybe the film isn't called Shatterhand or Eclipse, maybe it's The Shatterhand Eclipse?

20. The Scrooge Doctor

You know what? I like it. It'll confuse the hell out of some people but I like the ring of it.