Cyfa's art challenges and other bits & bobs

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cyfa, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

Thank you, @publiusr :) Although, I don't know that I'd call it talent - More like mucking around with various things until something sticks (oh, and a lot of research/procrastination!). I bet you have talents in other areas that I, and many others, could only wish we had.
    Thanks to you too, @fireproof78!

Here's a couple of ideas for this month's LGBTQ themed art challenge:
    A rainbow of Trek races. As this is much larger than actual size which shows just how hopeless the likenesses are, from left to right: Caitian (not a teddy bear), Tholian (not Munch's The Scream), Aurelian, Gorn, Andorian, Betelgeusian, and a poor boggle-eyed Saurian.
    [​IMG]

As it's the 35th anniversary of the release of ST III: The Search For Spock, this is an IDIC/LGBTQ/TSFS mash-up. The red ship is the Ralph McQuarrie Enterprise seen in Spacedock when the actual Enterprise comes home (I was going to do an orbital shuttle, but it just looked like a blob as this is only 9cm across).
    [​IMG]

Other ideas at the moment include a Drag Klingon, and a Vulcan couple (both male) doing the finger greeting/foreplay thingy.

SCE2Aux and Orac like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I understand the theme, but my first thought was of the Green Lantern core.

3. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

Ha ha! Yes! Although I'm not familiar enough with GL to know what all the colours signify (I've only recently discovered that there were other coloured Lanterns) - I'm more of a Marvel fan than DC.

4. gazomg

gazomg Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

reminds me a little of the banner you commented on earlier in my thread

Cyfa likes this.
  5. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Looks like something from Rainbow Brite

....no, I didn't watch it

Cyfa likes this.
  6. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

- Yes! It's the curved shape, isn't it. Perhaps it was an unconscious influence?

- Sure you didn't ;) Just like I didn't watch My Little Pony and The Gummi Bears...

Here's a little teaser of another idea I've just sketched out for the art challenge:
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping to get it finished - or at least coloured in - by the deadline tomorrow.

7. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Oh, I loved Gummi Bears, especially toward the end.

No, Realy, I didn't watch Rainbow Brite :scream::techman:

Cyfa likes this.
  8. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

I don't remember any of the storylines, I just remember those Gummi Bears bouncing here and there and everywhere. They are the Gummi Bears!! (of course I haven't been humming/singing the theme song since yesterday...)

Anyway, back to the art challenge: I've messed it up.
    Here's my Drag Klingon looking more like a camp wizard than a fierce drag queen:
    [​IMG]

It's his hips and left leg, I think. It's not clear which leg is carrying his weight, which makes his pose look a bit off. If I can find the time (should be able to), I'm going to do a more "fighting stance" pose, lose the staff and finger blades, and probably the cloak, too.

FYI, the bodice/corset thingy is borrowed from Valkris' wardrobe (STIII:TSFS), and the silver head-dress was inspired by her decorative choker.

9. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

I've had another go:
    [​IMG]

Although I didn't go with a fighting stance, I did get rid of the staff etc, and I think the pose now looks more "pop star" than "camp wizard" - a bit more appropriate. I'll probably add a little bit of background, but other than that, this is going to be my entry for this month's art challenge. Boldly Go in Infinite Diversity! :)

SCE2Aux likes this.
  10. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Commander Red Shirt

That drag queen Klingon looks absolutely fabulous Cyfa! :D I'm liking your other ideas for this art challenge as well - the swirling idic/starship sketch in particular.

Cyfa likes this.
  11. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Cool. The only issue I see is that if you hadn't said it was a Klingon drag queen, I wouldn't have recognized it as a Klingon...

Cyfa likes this.
  12. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

- Thanks, SCE2Aux! I may debigulate the swirling IDIC to use as a logo on my final entry.

- Ooh, it's this sort of critique that makes me wish I hadn't left all this to the last moment again, as I don't have the time (or inclination :)) now to re-do it.
    You do have a point though, Finn - as this is such a small sketch, one has to look very closely to see the head ridges (and the fact that they're covered in make-up probably doesn't help?). And I've just thought that I could have put some ridges on his feet like Worf has, which may have helped to identify his species. Oh well - I'll just have to hope that the Klingon costume (however exaggerated) is enough.
    (I also don't like the white "glossy sheen" highlights now!)

13. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Dang. Thanks for reminding me to submit the final version for my entry.

Cyfa likes this.
  14. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

This is it - I think...

[​IMG]

Although, now I'm feeling sorry for the little boggle-eyed Saurian and his friends from my initial idea, as they didn't make the final cut. This month's theme is all about inclusion, so maybe I can find a space for them...

15. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

I love it
    :bolian:

Cyfa likes this.