Currently working through the missing episode audios...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, May 30, 2012.

1. Phillip Culley

Phillip Culley Captain Captain

At a guess I would say The Cloud Minders.

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Yes, 'The Cloud Minders'.

Although it's been years since I've seen it and (after reading Wikipedia) it looks like a simple class struggle rather than one side preying on the other.

3. Candlelight

THE POWER OF THE DALEKS (TOM BAKER edition)
    9/10

For me this brought back memories. After only owning a few VHS tapes this was the first anything I had acquired involving a missing episode of Doctor Who, way back in 1994. Needless to say I loved it, and I would often listen to this (along with, and more often than, The Evil of the Daleks) as much as I could. I remember hauling my tape player into the bathroom and listening to the story while I lay in the bath!

Yes the quality isn't as good as the remastered version. Yes there are long gaps where you don't really get whats happening visually. But Tom's relaxed narration, booming voice and first person perspective gives it a great impact. I do consider this my favourite story, and it's such a pity it's lost. I hope it can be found someday.

Well... that's me done. Until I find better copies of The Underwater Menace and The Macra Terror I've run out of episodes...

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

My first exposure to "The Power of the Daleks" was a photonovel-type publication in magazine format that published the script along with photos of moments from the episode (those are called "telesnaps" or something, I think). I still have it.

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Ah. That would explain why I wasn't keeping up. I've never seen "The Cloud Minders" either. (It's my dirty little secret that, although I claim to be a comprehensive Star Trek expert, there's still huge chunks of the 2nd & 3rd seasons of the original series that I've never seen.)

6. Christopher

Lucky you. There was a stretch back in the late '80s or so when TOS was still in frequent syndication on multiple channels, and yet every time I happened to catch an episode, it was almost always "The Cloud Minders." I really grew to loathe that episode. Frankly, you're not missing much. (Well, except for Diana Ewing in a skimpy dress.)

7. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm I just looked at these box sets on amazon, they are hugely expensive.

8. Candlelight

I looked on YouTube and found decent copies of Macra and Menace, so back in business! :)

Unfortunately iPhone playing up (says it's full when it's not, stupid iTunes) so not back in business yet. :(

9. Candlelight

THE MACRA TERROR
    7/10

Entertaining story. The Macra in surviving footage don't appear to be very scary, but they don't seem to appear that often in the story anyway. Having Ben go bad did make for a better storyline for once, rather than everyone get caught up in the horrid of whatever crazy scheme the baddies have cooked up. While I don't think this would be a classic in many peoples eyes, I found it a fun romp. Had there been more of a hard line drawn with the Tardis crew (ie Ola acts as Pilot) then might've added more tension.

The 27th and last story to go. Can't find episode 3 anywhere but it exists so will just have to try and remember when I get to that part of the story...

10. Phillip Culley

Phillip Culley Captain Captain

Saving the best till last - always a good way to go :)

11. Candlelight

I was gonna save something like The Web of Fear but I forgot how many i had left.

I must say, The Macra Terror does have one of the funniest lines of voice over I've heard in ages, spoken brilliantly by Colin Baker:

"In the quarters, Jamie was sleeping soundly, while Ben was tossing relentlessly."

12. Christopher

^Sounds more like the script said "restlessly" and Baker misread it.

13. Candlelight

Or maybe I just misheard it! Quality wasn't the best.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Here in America, "Tossing Relentlessly" might mean you drank way too much and can't hold it down.

I understand a Tosser in Britain is something entirely different

15. Candlelight

Might've just have just said 'masterbating furiously'.

:D

16. Candlelight

THE UNDERWATER MENACE
    7/10

For the first three episodes I was considering giving this a five or six, but the final episode was actually very good, and it's a shame it's missing. Zaroff's motives - to destroy the world as a scientific achievement - is a bit weird, although it obviously ties into the character. Does raise the big question about what happens to everyone at the end. Not only does everyone fail to depressurise after coming to the surface (which the tardis crew sort of did in the first episode) but apparently it's set sometime in the seventies and all of a sudden hundreds of people who claim to be from Atlantis suddenly appear! The whole Atlantis thing I felt was a little silly, but that's me.

I guess I'll go back and tally the votes again...

17. Candlelight

Right... I've gone back and reassessed some of the scores I gave the serials, some got bumped up, others relegated. So in order, the 27 missing stories are rated (by me, your actual mileage may vary) as follows:

10/10 - THE POWER OF THE DALEKS
    10/10 - THE WEB OF FEAR
    9/10 - MISSION TO THE UNKNOWN
    9/10 - THE ENEMY OF THE WORLD
    9/10 - THE MYTH MAKERS
    8/10 - THE EVIL OF THE DALEKS
    8/10 - FURY FROM THE DEEP
    8/10 - MARCO POLO
    8/10 - THE INVASION
    8/10 - THE SAVAGES
    8/10 - THE TENTH PLANET
    8/10 - THE REIGN OF TERROR
    7/10 - THE DALEKS MASTER PLAN
    7/10 - THE MOONBASE
    7/10 - THE CRUSADE
    7/10 - THE MACRA TERROR
    7/10 - THE FACELESS ONES
    7/10 - THE UNDERWATER MENACE
    6/10 - GALAXY 4
    6/10 - THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMEN
    5/10 - THE MASSACRE
    5/10 - THE SPACE PIRATES
    5/10 - THE SMUGGLERS
    5/10 - THE ICE WARRIORS
    5/10 - THE WHEEL IN SPACE
    5/10 - THE HIGHLANDERS
    4/10 - THE CELESTIAL TOYMAKER

Thanks for listening. Been fun going through these. Always wanted to.

Might wait a couple of years and do it all again... :)

18. Candlelight

Wondering what to listen to now that dr who is done... :)

Have got all 104 episodes of the BBC radio show I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again I could get through. Least it'll keep me in the 60s. :p

19. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you are looking for some classic sci-fi you could do worse than Journey Into Space.

I love that show, 50's sci-fi that still impresses me.

It was on Radio 4 and ran for years.

20. Candlelight

How many of the shows still exist? Will look it up, cheers.