News Cruz: I’ll Be Back

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Prime Landry *and* Mirror Landry. Like Culber (whose neck was broken), they all died "natural" deaths (Ripperfied and explosified). The only thing all the characters I mentioned share is that their often violent deaths occurred somewhere near the spore drive, and match the pattern laid by Culber who later appeared to show up in the Mushroom Purgatory.

I mean, I don't think that was Culber (it was a hallucination *or maybe* the Mycelium becoming sentient). But if it was Culber, I don't see what separates his death from the other nearby violent deaths I've mentioned.

2. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

You're right, but that is pretty Star Trek. Hardly anyone dies for good on Trek, when it comes to regular or recurring cast. Spock, resurrected. Yar, seen in one time travel story, one alternate reality, and as her own daughter. Jadzia, memories put in a character who takes over the very next episode. Plus then all the fake out deaths along the way - Sisko, Kim, Picard, etc, all reset buttoned away by episode's end.
    Discovery, however, said it wasn't doing that anymore. There was real jeopardy and anyone could die.

Plus I feel the producers having already decided before his neck went crunch that he was coming back bled into the story - they forgot to make the characters care.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

So 'TilleyBer' then? :angel:

4. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Not sure how they'd work that. Perhaps a katra-like thing where she carries his essence. And OF COURSE his body is kept in cold storage/stasis so some magic goobledygook and voila! Instant Culber.

Problem is, neither he nor Tilly are Vulcan so not buying it. Besides, bringing him back so many episodes later just doesn't work.

They shouldn't have killed him off to begin with, but oh well.

5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Stupid Question: Is Mirror Culber dead? Or is that not known?

I'm speculating out loud but if that's how he comes back, it's not out of line with how everyone else has returned in Discovery.

6. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

They did say we won't see mirror Culber, but that's not of course any guarantee. Personally I'm hoping we've seen the last of the mirror universe.

Michael likes this.
  7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well I see they aren't to worried about Spoilers on this issue. Maybe they will tell us all the twists in advance before the season starts. I don't mind if he comes back but it does feel like they moved on from having a regular gay romance for Stamets like all people to "Love Conquers all" magical stuff. I would have prefered a O'Brien/Keiko kind of thing. It's clear though why they aren't worried about a spoiler here. They know killing of a gay character in a franchise that hasn't even had any gay humans is not going to sit well. They clearly don't trust the audience enough to respect the drama of the situation or trust them the writers, to not go back to old tv habits so they want to make sure the info is out their because I am guessing they think all the fans are just snowflake types who can't handle the situation unless the spell it out for them that Stamets is still going to be a important character and we will see even more gay humans. People should actually feel a little insulted that they need to tell us this because it's a reflection on how they see us, the fans. They don't respect our ability to understand how drama or fiction works and that sometimes characters die and that is okay because it means new characters come in to replace them.

Jason

waxon likes this.
  8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This weekend at your local Federation grocery store...buy one box of Instant Culber, get one for free. Just add water!

9. Jayson1

Well I did say after he died I kind of liked the idea of him coming back almost in a "Pet Sematary" way and he comes back, not quite human but the one problem is I think now it would feel like a repeat of what they did with Tyler. You could do the "Black Mirror" thing were Stamets has Culber's conscience downloaded inside his own head. Also he could possess another human body. Do the Quantum Leap thing were we still see Cruz but everyone else see's somebody else and so does he if he looks in a mirror. Also Culber could come back as one of those God like aliens, which would play into the spiritual stuff they say they are going to do. Do a Doctor Manhatten thing were he is now Godlike and Stamets is still stuck being a regular human.

Jason

10. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

"Yesterday's Discovery"

An alternate timeline Culber travels back into the past with the crew of the presumed destroyed USS MacGuffin to restore history and peace by rescuing a Tholian colony from a Gorn attack. Afterwards he is captured and made the consort of a Gorn slave master who gives birth to their child. One night, Culber tries to escape with his half Gorn son and is caught and executed.

30 years later Commander Sklor, the son of Culver, shocks the crew of Discovery when he shows up on the holographic communicator waging war on behalf of the Gorn. He appears in a few more episodes before vanishing for good and never being spoken of again. Also, the whole thing is classified by Starfleet so "Arena" remains canon.

11. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Miracle Max would say he's only mostly dead. I've been saying, he's somewhere in the mycellium network.

12. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or they go the Enterprise route and just never refer to the Gorn by name.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It would give her the chance to say "This is so fu©king weird"

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

He'll be back in a couple of video diaries that Statmets is watching (made from stock footage from season one). :)

My preference is that he comes back as some kind of spore monster.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's Star Trek, so a misunderstood spore monster.

16. Jayson1

My prediction is by the time the show ends Stamets goes into the spore space or whatever it was called where he will be reunited with Culber. They will have eternity together and their love will never end since they will never die since they are no longer part of the universe. If they return to normal space they will come back as evolved beings. Maybe they are the jellyfish mates from "Encounter at Farpoint." I don't even know if you can say what gender those aliens were or even if gender would still be something a evolved being would have once they are no longer regular humanoids.

Jason

17. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too late for that directors, the only way to bring a character back after being dead this long is time travel or Q.

18. Nerys Myk

I guess you haven't seen a lot of Star Trek

Ovation and cultcross like this.
  19. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually I have seen all of it.

Which is why I know that for a person who's been dead for as long as Culbert it's either Time Travel or Q and nothing else.

20. Nerys Myk

Watch it again. Time is irrelevant to resurrection.