Spoilers Crisis on Infinite Earths Discussion (CW Event Spoiler Thread)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mark_Nguyen, Dec 9, 2019.

1. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems that J'onn is somehow actually repacing their memories with the pre-crisis version, which makes no sense on several levels. Most egregious of which is where is all the memory information coming from? Really should have had them keep their new memories and just gotten them up to speed on what happened with crisis. Plus they still need the memories of the new reality, for a very minor example, what if Alex's DEO password is different this time around?

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Gleek in it?

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The monkey, the hall of justice, the theme... it helps if you were a child in the 70s.

Mage and Noname Given like this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe since they are new versions of the same people they have some kind of connection to the pre-crisis version that he was able to use to retrieve those memories. Almost like a past life, or genetic memory.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Whichever way you look at it, some portion of the person's identity (the one they've had all their life from their perspective) is being annihilated and replaced.
    I mean the implications for Diggle alone--what with Sara popping back into existence--are very troubling.

Not saying they should address it since it's necessary for the shows to continue with everyone being on the same page, but it's one of those things where the more you think about it, the more horrifying it gets.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

They wanted to merge the series into one world, they’ll figure out the details and make it up as they go. It’s fun to discuss but I doubt anyone on the CW end is sweating it too much.

Reverend and Morpheus 02 like this.
  7. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Those moments made me LOL with delight, even on rewatch.

Mr. Adventure and CorporalClegg like this.
  8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Heck I literally laughed out loud in glee when they showed the cage.

9. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't you mean, "in gleek"?

Mr. Adventure and Morpheus 02 like this.
  10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It was a '70s kids' show. Before the space monkey was a dog who wore a cape and stood on his hind legs.

I think it was important to show the payoff of the story within the story itself. And we don't usually see that much cast crossover in regular episodes these days, so if they wanted to show what it was like having all the heroes on one world, they kinda had to do it during Crisis.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a very good point actually.

13. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

That is a pretty fucking strange picture. :lol:

15. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a quite strange comic ...

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does he have a mohawk?

17. Christopher

Fortunately, whatever problem The CW's site was having with my ad blocker has cleared up, hopefully for good, and I got to see Black Lightning. So far there's no evident impact of the universe merger, although they featured Crisis clips heavily in the recap and had a fair amount of conversation about it in the first act before going "But that's not important now, let's get back to our own urgent plotlines." I guess I shouldn't be surprised that BL is the show least affected by CoIE, but in that case I'm surprised they paid as much attention to it as they did at the start.

Man, these shows are going to be really weird for future viewers who follow them individually or out of order. That's why I'm so relieved the site problem cleared up. If I hadn't been able to watch on The CW's site anymore, I would've had to trust that all six shows' current seasons would get to Netflix in a timely fashion after they ended, and even if they did, I'd have to be careful to make sure I saw all the episodes in the right order.

18. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Judging by how Alex was talking to Kara about Supergirl's status quo at the beginning of the last episode, it seems like J'onn gave people the memories of the old universe in addition to their memories of the new one. So most people on Earth-Prime only remember Earth-Prime's history, whatever friends and allies J'onn visited remember both histories, and the Paragons (plus at least one edge case) only remember the old Earth 1/38.

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

But its terrible writing, and it makes J'onn act like judge and jury over something as personal as memory, all for what reason? Would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to some alien just deciding to plant memories (and replace others) in their minds? Its not altruistic or particularly necessary (in universe). Its violating the individual rights of thoughts, and possession of one's own life.

20. Christopher

Not necessarily. Last night's Black Lightning established that Jefferson (and Jennifer, who was trapped in limbo) only remembers his original timeline. He says "Superman is real!" as if it's a big revelation, even though in the new history, he should've known Superman as a real presence in his world for the past couple of decades. (Ooh, hey, I wonder if that means the Prime version of Inspector Henderson used to work with Superman.)

Then again, J'onn doesn't know Jefferson as well as he knows Alex, so maybe he wasn't able to balance his two sets of memories as effectively. So far it doesn't seem there's much difference between Jefferson's old and new realities anyway.