Crew Rank Insignia?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Chaos Descending, May 29, 2022.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And?

McCoy's Disco Collar likes this.
  2. Muji

Muji Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for taking the time to do this breakdown. It seems, to be as generous as I can to those responsible, there are some unresolved discrepancies and inconsistencies with rank insignia. I admit, it's not something that I pay too much attention to. Not thorough lack of interest, but as far as I know there's no official canon on which insignia means what at what time. If there is, I'd like to see it; although I imagine they keep this type of stuff deliberately vague as to afford them some wiggle-room.
    Yeah, possibly, or maybe Time in Service, or maybe other rank requirements (trainings, tours, etc.)? As far as I know, it's pretty much a mixture of trying to piece together what's shown on screen and guesswork. Does anybody have anything more substantial that details rank requirements or insignia?

Avro Arrow likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's like U-571 where Matthew Mcconaghy's character isn't recommend for captain because he isn't quite ready yet/ He is missing an aspect of leadership that was needed. Maybe Una is missing one aspect, and the steps being taken include commanding the Archer in moving her towards commander.

5 years in grade doesn't strike me as unreasonable.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

IRL, if you’re passed over promotion too many times (I think it’s 3 or 4 times maybe), you’re discharged, as it is assumed you’ve reached your maximum level of incompetence.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

In Starfleet, you can spend seven years as an ensign and nobody thinks it's unusual.

ussrowe, RapidNadion, JRob94 and 2 others like this.
  6. 137th Gebirg

:lol: That’s why Starfleet isn’t the military! :D

7. Nerys Myk

Harry Kim does. :p

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

In other words...nobody.
    [rimshot)
    :guffaw:

dupersuper likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

[​IMG]

10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Someone posted a handy reference chart on Twitter... :lol:

[​IMG]

(My apologies... this was just down in the "Other Tweets" section and I forgot to grab an attribution.)

To be fair to the admirals, though, they seem to have the same system, just the stripes are on their shoulders instead of their cuffs. April's looks like one of the extra-wide stripes with one wide stripe on either side, just like Admiral Fitzpatrick from TOS.

[​IMG]

Or perhaps April is just really into Mass Effect cosplay... ;)

[​IMG]

(Yes, this image was flipped horizontally to accentuate the similarities. :) )

11. 137th Gebirg

Yeah…. I do not like those shoulder boards at all.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the best uniforms in SNW thus far.

13. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

StarFleet isn't a "Traditional Military".

It's a "Hybrid Organization".

½ Military & ½ Scientific Explorer.

So not every aspect of the "Traditional Military" will be part of StarFleet IMO.

I don't think StarFleet would have this aspect of IRL military. They won't just discharge you just because you were passed up for promotion. StarFleet is the type of Organization that works to improve you over time, regardless of age.

Ergo, we see Commander Reginald Barclay survive to where he was when he was on the PathFinder mission. Despite the fact that at his age, he should've made Captain.

Or why Janeways initial 1st Officer, Cavit, seemed much older than Janeway in appearance.
    The actor, Scott Jaeck who portrayed Cavit was only 40 years, 2 months, 19 days old when CareTaker aired and was a Lt. Commander & 1st Officer.
    Kate Mulgrew was only 39 years, 8 months, 18 days old when CareTaker aired and was a newly minted Captain.

Age or being passed up for promotion shouldn't get you kicked out. StarFleet IMO wouldn't care about that. They care about improving you as an Officer until you retire from the service.

14. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Pretty much.

The lack of any kind of "up and out" policy is likely to have been influenced by Roddenberry's experience of working for the LAPD, which in common with most police departments largely doesn't have one (completion of the rookie period and promotion to Police Officer II is required and promotion to Police Officer III/Training Officer [~ Corporal] is desirable).

15. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everybody basically ranks up at "Their pace". Yes, there is a minimum time needed in ___ rank before you can level up to the next rank.

But there is no maximum time before some bean counter tries to push you out.

Everybody has plenty of situations IRL that affects what happens on the job, so everybody will rank up at a different pace.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

April also has the same kind of badge as worn by the Admirals on Disco, the Starfleet arrowhead with laurel leaves around it. IIRC, the number of laurel leaves around the arrowhead is supposed to represent which admiral grade they are. I think April is wearing a Vice Admiral's badge, which is also supposed to be Admiral Fitzpatrick's rank.

Though, maybe I'm misinterpreting something, as Memory Alpha lists April as a full four star Admiral. :shrug:

Avro Arrow likes this.
  17. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I wasn't really familiar with how the admiral badges worked on Discovery. I took a look into it, and it seems like they do it through a combination of filled/gold leaves and hollow/black leaves (which look like tiny arrowheads)?

But the Disco ones have four full leaves on the side of the badge, from the edge of the arrowhead to the top, whereas the SNW ones only have three full leaves visible. The "missing" leaves are mostly covered by the arrowhead, and only a small piece is visible on the left side, and about half on the right. It appears the arrowhead used in the SNW version is wider?

[​IMG]

Maybe since the SNW uniforms have stripes, they don't use the leaves to represent ranks, and so all admirals have all the leaves filled in? I guess we will have to see more admirals on the show to see how they are going to handle it. IIRC, we have only seen two, and both appeared to be the same rank anyway. (And I think April is the only one where we've seen their badge.)

GNDN18 and The Wormhole like this.
  18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And only now have I realised the "leaves" are also Starfleet deltas:lol:

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was something I only learned in this thread too. The modern era sure loves sticking arrowheads everywhere.

20. Nerys Myk

Wait till you see the toilet paper. It's quilted