COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS 5-page preview

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Seems that they sold it by accident. It is still listed as available in the iBooks store, but when you are trying to by it, it says that it's not available anymore. Grrrr ... I want to read that damned thing NOW!

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well now, that explains it. They never pay attention to release dates. iTunes was notorious for for making episodes of Stargate Atlantis available weeks before they aired on TV, and even a few months ago they released an issue of IDW's TNG Hive series by Brannon Braga a week before its release date.

So we have an online distributor ignoring the proper release date, which is the 20th.

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, at his age, Pike would've had to have captained some ship before being given the "new" Enterprise, so why not April's Enterprise? He could've gotten it after Marcus was promoted to Admiral. Then after it was decommissioned, Marcus gave him a ground assignment on Earth (recruiting and cadet training) while he also oversaw the building and fitting out of the new Enterprise that he would captain.

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

How ironic - with all the changes that Nero wrought on the timeline, Captain Pike and (Cadet) Spock still could have met Vina and the illusionists of Talos IV in 2254 after all (albeit on an Enterprise two years away from decommissioning).

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. crucifixion

crucifixion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can someone post a review of #3? It's out and there's at least two websites that said they have a review of #3 out today. I can't access those sites while at work :brickwall:

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Sulu & Cupcake are held prisoners by the alien faction that's opposed to April. We learn that the Klingons have been helping them and supplying them with weapons.
    Spock is off on his own to rescue the 2 without saying anything to Kirk. We learn that he hasn't really dealt with his grief and has been acting somewhat recklessly since Vulcan was destroyed.

April keeps insisting that Kirk helps him win the war but Kirk refuses & goes after Spock. They succeed in rescuing the prisoners and everyone returns to the Enterprise, along with April and Mudd (she's Harry's daughter).
    April manages to get to the bridge and using some old backdoor codes takes command of the Enterprise and locks everyone out of the bridge and the computer.

And that's more or less what happens.

8. crucifixion

So the comic ends with April on the bridge in command of the enterprise and everyone else in the hallway?

9. SalvorHardin

April & Mudd on the bridge going in to bombard the enemies from orbit.
    Scotty and the rest trying to find a way to get back control.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That sounds to me like it's setting up a character thread for the movie. Particularly considering the mission Spock is on at the start of the movie.

11. SalvorHardin

Indeed. To quote Uhura from Countdown 3, "Spock risked himself unnecessarily. He did it before, when the Galileo crashed. It's like he's looking for any opportunity to sacrifice himself."
    That seems to fit well with the Volcano incident.

12. The Wormhole

I noticed in this issue they're starting to draw lens flares into the panels. That both annoys and amuses me.

13. SalvorHardin

They had them in the previous two issues as well.

14. The Wormhole

Well, I only just noticed it now.

15. crucifixion

16. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It says "Expected release April 10th", which is a month past the early release date from March. I can only access the preview; otherwise, it says "preorder".

17. The Wormhole

Countdown to Darkness #4 is currently scheduled for release on April 17. However, the graphic novel compilation of the entire series will be released on April 10. How's that for fucked up?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I can make out most of it by zooming in, though it's blurry. Here's what I think it says (the pages are actually the wrong way around, with the first page on the right):
    Exterior of ship around planet. Voiceovers:
    "How do we get our ship back, Scotty?"
    "Well, sir, the good news is that the energy field that hit us when we arrived at Phaedus is gone. No doubt it was just April's way to get our attention."

Interior engine brewery. 3-shot of Spock, Scott, Kirk.
    Scott: "But the catastrophic news is that whatever program April activated inside the ship's computer has locked us out of everything! He controls it all from the bridge now!"
    Kirk: "Then we take the bridge."

2-shot, Spock and Kirk.
    Spock: "A task simpler to describe than it is to accomplish, Captain. April has locked off the bridge and shut down all turbolift access."
    Kirk: "So our only hope is taking back the main computer from here."

Close angle on Spock.
    Spock: "On the contrary, Captain, I believe your more... direct approach to the problem is our best option. We must retake the bridge."

Overhead shot as Spock kneels by grating resembling modern air vent.
    Spock: "The turbolifts are inoperable, but the Jefferies tubes running throughout the ship are still accessible."
    Scotty rubs his head, perhaps wondering why Spock thinks he needs to explain Jefferies tubes to them.

Interior ventilation sha -- sorry, "Jefferies tube": Spock removes grating.
    Spock: "We can track our progress on our tricorders, emerge on the bridge, and hopefully take April by surprise."

Angle over Kirk and Scott's shoulders as Spock enters "tube."
    Scott: "Not really inclined to wait for the order to be given, is he, Captain?"
    Kirk: "Doesn't bother me so much when he's right, Scotty."

19. SalvorHardin

Countdown to Darkness #4 has been bumped for release in April 10 too in ibooks.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Countdown was released the same way; the trade paperback was available a week before issue #4.

The reasons had to do with production and distribution. The trade paperbacks were printed elsewhere and had a different supply chain. And technically, the trade paperback of Countdown was street dated for the same day as issue #4. But some outlets ignored the street date and put it on sale early.