Could Data Have A Positronic Cat?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Plutodawn, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plutodawn

Plutodawn Lieutenant Newbie

I know he didn't, I'm trying to establish what prevented him from having his own robot cat (can I call a cat a Android if it isn't humanoid?) with a positronic brain.

I know when he made his daughter, she ultimately failed when everything started to degrade. Would a cat's neural network, every connection, be everybit as complex as Data's, but just not as abundant.... aimed at a Cat sized brain?

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think the nerves in my cats leg is any less advanced than my own leg, different likely, but both are highly sophisticated.... cat may even be more sophisticated actually for all I know in this respect than humans are.

Pain is pain, Adrenaline is adrenaline. Just because I'm able to read, whistle, build things, doesn't mean it is any less capable of experiencing pain than me, or reacting with Adrenaline. Cognitive architecture effects higher functions, but I'm guessing most mammal brains are fairly complex.

So.... Could Data build himself a Positronic Cat, and would it live? Do such brains fail because of pathways, or irreconcilable contradictions arising in ever larger mental networks, resulting in infinite feedback loops unable to function, a constant shifting and breakdown of cognition, till only isolated functions carry on, the android experiencing a braindeath of sorts? Could a brain more the size of a cat avoid such issues?

And a further question, if you think a cat brain would work.... every once in a while Data plugs his head in to fix or run the ship. If Data was away, and Enterprise had a emergency situation, and had to plug into the Cat, what would prevent the ship intercomm's from purring, or Enterprise taking off to go play and catch a comet, to growl at a threatening ship or insist on sitting onto a larger Cardassian ship? Yes, silly question, but in Starwars drones plug into Star Destroyers all the time without the Star Destroyer becoming that Drone. I don't see Star Trek having a lot of experience with androids or robots plugging in, sometimes a holodeck AI takes aspects over.... is it possible Picard can be held hostage to the whims of a Enterprise Cat AI if he plugs it in during a emergency situation? When he tries to reason with it, would it just meow back at him?

2. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

OK, this descended from whimsical to downright silly in a really short time.
    Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.