Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Greylock Crescent, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Even the line about Halley becoming Newton's psychotherapist is in Comet. (I reread the third chapter, "Halley," this morning while eating breakfast.)

Perhaps we will, eventually.

Halley's dialogue was far too modern, but I don't know that I agree that it's entirely inappropriate to fictionalize a conversation in a documentary. If Cosmos were intended for a serious, scholarly audience, then, yes, I could agree. But it's clearly intended for a broader, pop audience, and if fictionalized dialogue helps the material reach that pop audience (whose expectations would be different than, say, members of the Royal Society) then I think it's justified.

I wished Tyson had mentioned that humanity will be long extinct -- and no doubt long forgotten -- and the Earth uninhabitable by the time of the Milky Way/M-31 collision.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It honestly depresses me that I won't be alive to witness the approach of Andromeda and to see the collision over the span of a billion years. I bet it will be spectacular, the dance of the two spirals.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's interesting how everyone learns how to pronounce "Halley" correctly for about a year or two around the comet's arrival, and then everyone but the astronomers forgets again for the next 70-odd years.

The latest notable one was Comet ISON last November to December, preceded by Comet Lovejoy in 2011.

Here's a list of several hundred visual comets scheduled to arrive in the next five years, although most of those will only be noticed by astronomers. This list is more focused on ones likely to be noticeable to more casual observers.

Yes, that's the sad thing that the episode overlooked. Newton and Halley's discoveries may have divorced our knowledge of the heavens from our fears, but many of us cling to ignorance and fear nonetheless.

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Fiction writers have an opportunity to educate people and they might not even realize they're being educated. Ben Bova took that opportunity in his novels about Jupiter when he was writing from the pov of Leviathan - one of the lifeforms swimming in the "ocean layer" of Jupiter's atmosphere. Leviathan was recalling the terrible events of the time when a comet smashed into Jupiter, causing much injury and death to its people (Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9).

4. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read somewhere years ago that it was likely pronounced HALL-ees, as in, rhymes with "Wally's".

Not HAL, not HALE, but HALL.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can I just call him Ed?

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I've been enjoying the show so far, but somehow this episode just seemed to work exceptionally well, and was especially inspiring.

The story of Newton and Halley (which I'm ashamed to say I was not fully aware of before) was brought alive really well, and hearing about the incredible array of discoveries that were made just by these two people was kind of mindblowing.

And I for one continue to have no problem with the animation. Even with the somewhat limited style, I find it to be much more interesting to watch than the traditional, stuffy "reenactments" we usually see in documentaries (not least because we actually get to see more of the city and world these people live in, instead of just having actors in period costumes walk around some anonymous grove or castle somewhere).

7. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

WILL-BUR!

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I honestly don't think I'd ever heard it pronounced any way other than HAY-ley until recently.

9. Christopher

Were you around for its 1986 visit? Like I said, my recollection is that everyone learned the correct pronunciation at the time because all the media were talking about it constantly, and then everyone forgot again once it was no longer in the news.

I'm not sure why the "Hayley" pronunciation is so commonly used. I'm tempted to blame the '50s band Bill Haley and the Comets, but the fact that they chose that name at all proves that the mispronunciation was already common at the time. I guess it's probably just that Haley is a more common name in our era than Halley. There's Bill Haley, Jack Haley, Alex Haley, Arthur Hailey, Hayley Mills, Jackie Earle Haley, Haley Joel Osment, etc.

Then again, I get a ton of hits when I enter "Halley" into IMDb's search field, though nobody really famous as far as I can tell. But there is Halle Berry.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

1986. I just remember not seeing much in the way of comets--until 1997 that is.
    That was a dimetrodon--I did a freeze frame from a repeat On Demand. I'm all idiot, no savant. The Red Spot on Jupiter I have heard called a high pressure cell--but would still be called a storm...oh well.

If the book COMET dictated this last episode, it looks like next week with be DEATH BY BLACK HOLE.

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Agreed. Having faith doesn't mean denying scientific fact. They don't have to conflict.

Really? I've never heard that before. You crazy people and your crazy pronunciations. :D

12. Christopher

"Holly's Comet?" Sounds like something discovered by the computer of the Red Dwarf.

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

^ Or a really bad Christmas carol.

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I was a little disappointed in the first episode in that it just seemed to be a recap of the original COSMOS, but the second episode was much better. I'll be watching the third episode in about an hour.

The really great thing about COSMOS is that Brannon Braga is finally learning how evolution works.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Around? Yes. Able to comprehend language? Doubtful.

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I was 6, but never got the chance to see it.

17. Christopher

There's this thing called "fiction" in which people intentionally depict things that they know to be imaginary.

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

We thought Episode 3 was quite good. I didn't know any of that stuff about Hooke and Newton. A little human melodrama behind the history.

I thought they explained the ancient beliefs about the stars in a way that kids could understand, which wasn't condescending or mocking. It made sense at the time, given what they knew.

My son really got a great lesson in how math governs the universe, and why that matters.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah apparently that's why some people think the universe could just be a computer simulation, because the math works almost too perfectly. Tyson was asked about that in a podcast I was listening to, but didn't seem to take the idea that seriously, as you would expect.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

So the people who created the simulation live in a world where math doesn't work?