Concept: Star Trek Fighting Game

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Go-Captain, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Go-Captain

Go-Captain Captain Captain

I've have a Trek fighting game concept (like Soulcalibur, Virtua Fighter, and Street Fighter) which has been rattling around my head for years now and I've decided to just put it out there.

Each character has a signature move set based on their abilities, story, and position. Each player gets a team of three characters. Basic melee moves are split between armed and unarmed. Different strength levels exist: Picard, Worf, Spock, Drone, Data are in order of strength. Everyone gets a ranged attack involving an energy weapon. Almost everyone has a passive shield as the first layer of defense, with active blocks mostly being dodge and parry, though some are another shields. Captains such as Archer, Kirk, Picard, Janeway, and Sisko can summon their ships for orbital fire support, and carry an appropriate phaser Type III. First officers can summon team members to attack alongside them. Science officers can do Analysis to debuff defenses. Engineers can beam or reinforce shields.

• Picard, TV: TNG Type I, cross bow, dressage. Picard Maneuver (pulls shirt and warps to opponent to melee attack). Summon Enterprise-D. Containment Field (temp freaze). Peace Talk (confusion). Master Plan (parry block which redirects any enemy's attack against them self). Locutus (loses Picard powers, gains drone powers, with power to summon drones and Cube).
    • Picard, movie: First Contact Type III, rifle-melee, dressage. Picard Maneuver (pulls shirt and warps to opponent to melee attack). Summon Enterprise-E (era dependent). Peace Talk (confusion). Master Plan (parry block which redirects any enemy's attack against them self). Locutus (loses Picard powers, gains drone powers, with power to summon drones and Cube).
    • Riker: Fisticuffs, tromboning (melee attack which momentarily slows enemy attacks), warp jump (retreats at warp to avoid damage). Summon Thomas Riker. Summon Crew. Inexplicably Convenient Pit Throw.
    • Geordi: VISOR Constant Analysis. Shield Reinforcement. Unlucky at Love (Geordi falls in love with opponent, allowing himself to be attacked for a fixed amount of time. Then the opponent walks away in disgust and loses an equal amount of health). Warp Core Breach! (evasive roll effective against super attacks).
    • Worf: bat'leth, with an alternate mek'leth, pain stick, disarmed tai chi style, honorable slap, challenge slap. Summon "Parallels" Army of Worf.
    • Miles O'Brien: TNG Type III, Darts, shield reinforcement, teleport. Summon Julian Bashir (heal). Wide Beam Dispersal (beams target out on a wide beam dispersal for massive damage).
    • Doctor: No Phaser. Can passively dodge low energy beam attacks by standing (others need to jump), and high by ducking. Team Heal (can't heal self, can be summoned by team members for healing). Invulnerable to melee while blocking. Invisible (only his mobile emitter is visible). Hypospray, stun. ECH, Summon Voyager.
    • Kirk: Kirk-fu, TOS Type III, summon Enterprise. Mirror Kirk (damage done to Mirror Kirk does not go to main Kirk). God's Bane (massive damage to machine life).
    • Spock: nerve pinch, grappling, parry blocks, short ranged psychic control, contact mind meld. Kal-if-fee, larpa. Summon Crew. Analysis.
    • Borg Queen: Gradually adapts to each specific attack until it no longer works. Summon drone (attacks against the Drone can lead to faster adaption to attacks for the Queen). Summon Cube (can be used to partially counter Summon Ship - which causes summoned ship to crash land on Queen - or used as orbital bombardment). Assimilation (does damage over time) except does one time minor damage to Picard and turns him into Locutus. Data takes no damage, but does get more vulnerable to damage. Janeway, Tuvok, and Torres take no damage and are turned into drones.
    • Drone: To choose Drone, all three team members must be Drone, or Locutus, or Queen. Random special of assimilate, analysis, or regenerate. Teleport. Starts with no shield, third drone gains impervious shield against the move used the greatest number of times against the first two drones. Raise Shield (block).
    This isn't exhaustive, but it's a start.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  2. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

Are you high??

CPT Baldwin and Sgt_G like this.
  3. Go-Captain

TNG
    • Tasha Yar: (fast, strong shields) Can perform a full body block by standing at a attention and everything misses. Super attack damage can be sent to her when she is out of combat. Summon Data, Worf, and Spot Simultaneously.
    • Data: (extremely strong and fast, lacks phaser, lacks analysis) Feline Supplement 74 (sets Spot like a land mine), Murder Mittens (Spot launches at the opponent), Sexy Data Tango (Summons Yar, confuses opponent...sexually). Varon-T Disruptor (super attack).
    VOY
    • Tuvok: Wide beam stun. Nerve Pinch. Murderous Meld (drains health, and temp slows opponent).
    • Nelix: Talaxian Phaser (Type I) Food Poisoning (throws pot or pan of food for instant damage plus damage over time), Promotion (gains security uniform, loses Food Poisoning and Baxial, gains Compression Phaser Rifle). Guide (can identify weaknesses of Delta Quadrant characters), Demotion. Summon Baxial.
    • Tuvix: Compression Rifle, Nerve Pinch, Healing Meal, Superior Guide (analysis of all characters). Murderer (if Janeway is on other team, and if player has fewer than three living characters, Tuvix can be split into Tuvok and Nelix).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but I don't really see any appeal to this. Start Trek really isn't about this kind of fighting, so this just feels like kind of a strange idea.

Felderburg and ED-209 like this.
  5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Dammit Jim, I’m a doctor, not a-
    FINISH HIM

Titus Andronicus and ED-209 like this.
  6. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seven could be included since she does actually fight in "Tsunkatse".

7. Go-Captain

No more strange than Elite Force, Elite Force 2, and New Worlds.
    I need to figure out how to make that a move. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/I'm_a_doctor,_not_a...#Dr._Leonard_McCoy
    Definitely, she's a power house thanks to her drone strength, and melee training.

8. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

How well would these work?

ENT

Archer – fisticuffs. Phase pistols. Explosives w/ detonator. Summons Enterprise. Mirror Archer summons USS Defiant (phasers and torpedoes) and can vaporize opponent with Type III phaser.

T’Pol – Vulcan martial arts. Nerve Pinch. Phase pistol. Summons Starfleet Security. Analysis. Mirror T’Pol mind meld seduces opponent into sabotaging themselves and losing health.

Trip. Fisticuffs. Spanner. Warp core overload (electricity fills the screen to deplete opponent shields). Reinforce shields by 50%.

Shran – Ushaan-tor. Andorian Disruptors. Andorian Summer (freezes opponent). Summons Kumari.

Reed – Overloaded phase pistol. Phase Rifle. Spatial torpedoes. Hide in plain sight (opponent unable to see Reed, allowing him to do damage). Summons Harris for analysis. Mirror Reed has MACO rifle and photon torpedoes.

Sato– Can hide and crawl in small spaces. Can weaken opponent’s health and increase her healthbar through universal translator. Summons Phlox for healing. Mirror Sato - wields a knife. carries poisonous drinks and has a Seductress ability (can cause opponents to switch sides in team battle). Summons USS Defiant (casts shadow over level to deplete health).

Mayweather – Rock climbing ability (climb onto any surface). Flight ability. Summon ECS Horizon to drop off new weapons or health kits. Mirror Mayweather can summon Mirror Sato to deal damage.

Silik – can slide into small spaces to evade opponent. Can slow down time to deal damage. Suliban disruptor. Can summon squadron of Suliban vessels for hit and run attack.

Dolim. Swipes. Super strength. Dagger. Summons Xindi forces. If he levels up, can summon Xindi superweapon.

TOS

Sulu – Swordsman. Phasers and photon torpedoes. Summons USS Excelsior.

DIS

Stamets – Spore drive teleportation. Shield reinforcement. Can summon Dr. Hugh Culber for healing. Mirror Stamets summons Mirror Georgiou to deal damage

ST’09

Gaila – Orion pheromones (weakens health of opponent). Winnable scenario (freezes opponent to allow damage to be done). “Study” session (distract opponent). Reassignment (waves and teleports to other side of map.

Nero – fisticuffs. Romulan Trident. Can cloak himself. Create black holes with red matter. Summons Narada.

9. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A fan could probably build such a game using the free fighting game engine mugen. Even released as a freeware game, i do wonder if cbs won't send some cease and desist letter though

10. FederationHistorian

I guess it would depend on how widespread the appeal is. How many Star Trek fans play/have played fighting games?

11. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the game is set in the mirror universe, the story would basically write itself

12. FederationHistorian

I’m sure there is merit in seeing Dukat and Sisko fight, with Pah-wraith and Prophet abilities.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I had a similar idea floating around my head recently, but as a side-scrolling beat 'em up. Where you go through different parts of the franchise beating up enemies.

As crappy as Trek games generally are, I don't see an issue with trying something different with the franchise.

publiusr likes this.
  14. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

A unique idea for sure, and ignore some of those putting it down. Iron Maidens mobile game is an RPG, an odd choice for a metal band but it became very successful.

I feel the roster needs more villains though. Sela, Dukat, Paxton, Khan, Soran, Lore, Joachim, Harry Mudd, Gowron, Gary Mitchell, Sloan, Lursa and B'Etor. Duras, Armus, a Changeling, a Kazon, Kruge, Locutus, the corrupted Equinox EMH, Lorca, heck, the "God" from Final Frontier. There's a massive amount of villainous characters to create a crazy story plus a myriad of fighting styles.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I thought Kratos did for him. That’s for Q and the Douwd

16. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could see more specifically-focused games, rather than one big one for all of Trek. I seem to remember there was a Klingon one, back in the day (don’t recall the title). I could see doing a Vulcan dueling game involving the ahn-woon and lirpa, maybe call it Kroykah! or something.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Marco pellets for doctors...Moe Howard as the final boss. Nothing beats the eye poke and the multi-slap

In TNG you saw a lot of kicking early on.
    I have seen some videos where a Tai Chi master was bested by a MMA contestant. Not pretty. Combato and Defendo for most.

A tv series called “Human Weapon” or something had folks going all over the world learning different styles. I got the feeling the pancration dudes let them win.

Then they went to France and one got a devastating savate kick to the kidney.