Concept for a new series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Laura Cynthia Chambers, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Guy Gardener Okay, but following the multiple members/generations of a family in depth in multiple episodes hasn't been done much.

Yeah, I could see that. Like 6 different members of Red Squad, or the lone survivors of a starship/outpost disaster. Definite possibilities...

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Adama, Apollo, Boxy/Troy from Battlestar Glactica... And don't for get Rick Springfield, Adama's other kid who died in the pilot. :)

The Tracies who drive the Thunderbirds, from Tracy Island. Which is a dad, his 5 boys, and one of those boys is making goo goo eyes at the Butler's kid.

There was another generation.

Although none of these kids seem to be a Tracy. :(

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  3. velour

velour Commander Red Shirt

I think the concept of a series that revolves around a family might work.

However, I think a family that would be more like Sisko's might work better. I would like to see family member in occupations other than just Starfleet. Kasidy was a civilian freighter captain. Jake was a civilian journalist. Sisko's dad was a restaurateur (I know, in a different incarnation he was Adm. Cartwright).

I would be interested in seeing the civilian world of the Trek universe and not just more Starfleet.

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Well, sure; you'd have civilian family members doing other things - kids going to school, parents in non-Starfleet jobs. But the whole Starfleet family tradition would anchor the show- some of the conflict would be the civilian who marries into the family struggling to understand the POV of their SF spouse, or the civilian who's already a family member bucking the trend and the pressures that come with that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I applaud the effort but I think it might be a little like a Soap Opera. Still if they were all on a ship and had an annoying stowaway on board and big clunky robot with waving arms, I think that might work.

Jay Everington likes this.
  6. Jay Everington

Jay Everington Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm actually working on a fan fic series similar to this concept. There are three generations of the same family featured in one narrative; a high-ranking Admiral, the X.O. of the Enterprise-F, and a Cadet at Starfleet Academy. Also a former Starfleet Captain gone rogue and on the run from his former first officer, now working for Starfleet Intelligence. There is also a Federation civilian doctor who joins the UFP's post-Dominion War aid effort on Cardassia, only to find things worse than she ever imagined, and the disillusioned Cardassian she is assigned to work with as part of the aid effort.

But as has been noted, this type of thing is much easier to do when you're not on a budget and don't require multiple sound stages and film crews to make it all work.

SolarisOne likes this.
  7. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Or actors to pay, for that matter. :techman:

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It's an interesting concept, one that could give a very diverse look at the Trekverse and tell some very different stories--so long as you got the right bunch of characters with plenty to do. Actually making me ponder on just who this Starfleet family would be...

9. Laura Cynthia Chambers

I wasn't thinking of anyone we've already met. And if the family was Human but you wanted aliens to figure prominently too, you could have aliens related by marriage or an adopted/foster child.

10. OldTrekker719

OldTrekker719 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like it. And it can act as a "jumping off point" for other ST series. I would hope that they would stick to established Starfleet Academy layout (instead of changing it just for filming convenience). What what of Boothby? Will he be replace by a (or even a series) of robots? Will they have guest appearances by ST Alumni (Didn't Chief O'Brien return to Earth to teach at the Academy?) You could have them appear occasionally as Academy instructors, desk bound bureaucrats, etc.) Also (depending on the time period), You COULD have some of the children from various series playing cadets, or other personnel at the Academy. This could include Naomi Wildman, Icheb, The daughter of Tom Paris and B'lanna Torres, Molly O'Brien, Yoshi, O'Brien, Marissa Flores, Jay Gordon Graas, Patterson Supra, etc. Atleast a few of these characters would of joined Starfleet.

11. OldTrekker719

...Well, You can consider Starfleet a "Family", so.... What about following the grownup versions of the the children from the various series? Chief O''Brien's & Keiko's children ... Naomi Wildman... etc. They are the future of Star Fleet. It would be nice to see what has happened to them since the last time that we have seen them. Which ones join Star Fleet? What are their fields of if interest? The nice thing is that if Nicole De Boer does not want to reprise her role, someone else can play a new Dax (or maybe that initiate from that DS9 episode. Plenty of material to work with.

12. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After STD, It's definitely time to cut ties with 'continuity' and do something completely fresh with no ties to the past.

Trek desperately needs that.

13. Bry_Sinclair

^ I'd say it already has.

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I would have agreed, but it looks like a show that claimed to be a prequel to TOS but looks and feels more like a reboot is now kowtowing to trufans and edging back towards its original lie, er, I mean premise. ;)

15. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just out of interest, why such a strong reaction to Game of Thrones?

16. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It hasn't. STD handling prime continuity so badly is actually the reason I'd rather they avoid continuity with a future series.

It's only gonna go downhill when the 1701 shows up.

17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not as much as people think. Could always be worse.

Also, since they feel beholden to try and do nods to TOS, I'd say that they are never truly free.

18. Bry_Sinclair

If I ever get drunk enough to think that watching the entirety of STD would be a good idea then I might see if I can spot any TOS references, though seeing as how I don't want to give myself alcohol poisoning I think that may remain a mystery for me.

uniderth and HugeLobes like this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, just wait. Some blog will have it sooner or later.

20. OldTrekker719

..>Well, If they keep BASTARDIZING the series like with "dork-covery", then i am not going to bother watching it . Think GOD that CBS turn down the first offer for the original series.