News Complete 1st Season to Air on CBS terrestrial in Sept

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by KennyB, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, but what I mean is that because it was already prepared for broadcast ahead of time and taken into account during production knowing it would be broadcast in at least one market, it's likely they won't have much if any work to do to it, which then becomes a win-win for them.

2. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm very happy about this because sliding DISCOVERY into main broadcast time means that it effectively helps redeem its budget considerably. That will help continue the show for the foreseeable future. I don't want to lose our beloved DISCO friends after Season 3.

Lord Garth likes this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, you might be surprised. Canadian television is far more lax with its regulations regarding what can be shown on television. And even then, Disco still got in trouble over Tilly saying fuck. Picard was moved to a later timeslot, and was therefore allowed to keep all of Admiral Clancy's fucks.

Profanity aside, as far as actual content goes, everything in Disco's first season was perfectly acceptable for Canadian television, even in an early evening timeslot. Yes, even Ash Tyler's sexual assault with nude L'Rell. These are things which are not going to fly on American networks, so there's still work that needs to be done to the show.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  4. Owain Taggart

Maybe. I have been surprised to see what's been allowed to air over here in general. There was a time where we more closely followed our American counterparts, but I think we've diverged quite a bit on that front over the last decade or so. I think that's also aired on CityTV, also owned by Bell, but I may be wrong. And I don't know if it's been cut for broadcast overseas.

5. The Wormhole

Longer than that. The original run of the show Trailer Park Boys aired on Canadian television from 2001-2007 and had copious profanity. Quite literally multiple swear words in multiple scenes. But when they tried airing it in the US, they tried censoring all the profanity, which meant each episode was basically random words spoken hear and there amidst a series of bleeps. Curiously, around 2009 Trailer Park Boys reruns began airing during daytime hours in Canada, in the afternoons, with most of the profanity left in. I think the only words to get censored for the afternoon reruns were Fuck and Cock. Which still get uttered quite a bit on that show, but not so much that bleeping them out makes things indeciperable.
    I don't believe so, though CityTV does aire CBSAA's Twilight Zone, or at least they aired the first season.

6. Owain Taggart

Heh yes, how could I forget? Yeah, now that you mention it I remember hearing about that, even though I never really watched the show. I remember thinking, how bizzare it must be watching it that way and wondering what's being bleeped so much. Canada amazes me sometimes :D

The Wormhole likes this.
  7. Isaac Lawrence

Isaac Lawrence "NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope" Red Shirt

It's rather random, but CBS All Access has put up four YouTube clips from "The Vulcan Hello."

("The Vulcan Hello" also just happens to be my favorite Star Trek episode.)

Sneak Peek 2
    Sneak Peek 3
    Sneak Peek 4

...a promotional thing maybe?

I'm kind of giddy that it's back on CBS and I'll be watching every week just to do it. :)

RAMA likes this.
  8. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, that's high praise. I don't dislike the episode but I never expected anyone to cite it as their all-time fave for Discovery, let alone the franchise at-large!

9. Isaac Lawrence

Yeah, I'm weird like that.

And it just clicked for me, I don't know why. I love a lot of The Original Series episodes, but this was just different.

That said, I predict the first episode of season 3 will more than likely become my favorite Star Trek episode and replace "The Vulcan Hello." And then the first episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds will probably replace that... and then Section 31 and so on... :lol:

Whatever the new hotness is.

(Oh, and I see they pulled those clips down. Huh... curious. I thought the randomness of how they put them up was different, so them pulling them down should be no surprise either, I guess.)

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Like a lot of people, I was a bit thrown off by the pilot of DSC, and it took 2 to 3 views to really get it to register. I now consider it one of the better pilots, equal or just behind DS9's "Emissary".

According to the TVTime site, the viewing aggregator site with the highest sample size the two-part pilot is rated 8.56 out of 10, and 9.04/10 with over 25,000 votes combined! So it is fairly highly regarded. You're not alone. :)

RAMA

gblews likes this.
  11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Think about it...New season on CBSAA as the 1st season is veing shown on old fashioned terrestrial cable at the same time. Lots of Discovery in your face!

12. Isaac Lawrence

One thing on the ratings, I see when it premiered back in 2017 it had 9.6 million viewers.

Of course, when it doesn't get anywhere near that number this time around the critics of the show will be saying how much of a failure it is and so on. Never mind the fact that it won't be airing on a Sunday in prime-time following a football game, but instead on a Thursday night at 10pm... with episodes that are three years old.

Anyway, with that said (and according to io9), they've apparently started shooting season 4... :)

jackoverfull likes this.
  13. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

Discovery is airing tonight here on CBS, 10pm EST. I have Comcast cable, and a little after 9pm I looked at my guide, and Discovery was scheduled to record. I never set it, and the option to cancel the recording wasn't there at all.

Did CBS strike some sort of deal with Comcast to force the recording of Discovery to increase interest?

14. Isaac Lawrence

I currently watch 3 or 4 scripted shows and everything else is news and sports, so it felt kind of neat watching Discovery on CBS. It was a nice change to watch something like that and have it come to me instead of me going to it.

I even liked watching the commercials, oddly enough...

Lord Garth likes this.
  15. The Wormhole

WHAA???
    Not only is this a few weeks before the date that had been announced earlier in the summer as when season 4 would begin filming, but Ontario is on the verge of another lockdown and Prime Minister Trudeau has just declared earlier this week that Canada is in the midst of the second wave. Not conditions I would have thought it preferable to filming a TV show under.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The cast and crew create a bubble, and then they don't break it for 4 months, living in a sleepaway camp together.

17. Isaac Lawrence

So Variety says Discovery got 1.7 million viewers.

Funny, that's about a million more than I thought it was going to do, I didn't think anyone was going to watch it. Either way, I guess the YouTube guys will have fun with this...

But yep, I would think Discovery will run about five seasons and then they'll wrap it up and do something else. By 2023/2024 (around when Alex Kurtzman's current contract ends) they'll hopefully have decided on what they're going to do with everything.

My guess is they'll use the Noah Hawley movie to reboot everything, they'll premiere it on Paramount+ though instead and skip the movie theatre all together. And it'll serve as a pilot for a new series and set the stage for the next era of Star Trek. And by reboot I guess I should say "restart" or reset. They'll set the Noah Hawley idea in the 32nd century or later and just keep on Trekking.

Yes, I have seen the future.

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

There's nothing to restart. All the series take place in different eras and have different tones. The only restart they can do is retroactively say the Kurtzman Series take place in a different timeline, which I don't think they'll do. They're still trying to build up what they have and it hasn't run its course yet. Maybe they'll try to fold Noah Hawley's film into what Alex Kurtzman is doing, but that's the extent of it.

Besides, what if the Noah Hawley film bombs? What if it's panned? It would look really silly to reset everything according to the Hawley films if it blows up in their face.

I think we're heading into a situation similar to when TOS was in Movies and TNG was on TV. Both were under Paramount but one was run by Harve Bennett and the other was run by Rick Berman. That's not exactly 1:1 but it gets across the idea. Just like I think Alex Kurtzman is the new Rick Berman, I think Noah Hawley would be like the new Harve Bennett or Nick Meyer. If the film goes forward. They'd both be working for the same studio, but they wouldn't work in conjunction with each other.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Isaac Lawrence likes this.
  19. Isaac Lawrence

I don't know, I just wonder do they really want to have series taking place over different eras? You kind of tie yourself in doing stuff like that; like Strange New Worlds can only do so much before they have to stop. So let something like that run for a couple seasons and then stop.

TV and movies are going to sync up again though, yeah, I agree with that.

And you didn't bring this up but since it's on my mind: I say everything should be 32nd century and beyond because why would you go back and do anything before then. Because you'll tie yourself up again. You can't have technology in the 24th century be on par or more advanced than the 32nd century. So save yourself the headache and just pick everything up and move it 1000 years ahead and don't look back.

And this is also why I come back to the Noah Hawley movie idea, because it just feels like it wants to be it's own thing and not really tied to anything else. So yeah, just put that way out on it's own and you don't have to worry about anything. And make it a 2-hour TV pilot, not a movie. Because if it bombs, then just tune in next week and continue the voyage. But most importantly, this is also an easy way to continue on with what Alex Kurtzman has done, timeline-wise.

And on Alex Kurtzman: yeah, of course I'm totally fine with everything he's done. But at some point it may just be time to move on, y'know. Anything they do will naturally get it's fans and it's detractors, but I say just let his contract end and bring in someone new just to end things.

20. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't be surprised if Kurtzman's contract got renewed. Also, by 2023, Discovery will be in its 6 or 7th season...