common misconceptions about Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by KaraBear, Aug 15, 2013.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Anwar's quite fond of making such claims without providing evidence. It's been my experience that he's of the opinion that fans are somehow merciless in their allegedly unwarranted criticism of VOY in situations where they presumably hypocritically condone the same issues in other series.

This was one thing that figured in my earlier post where I observed that "This other series did this too" isn't really a defense of VOY so much as a potential critique of the other series.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

On second thought, maybe he meant he was a misconception. I was the last of 4 kids, and I showed up 15 years after the previous one, so I sort of wonder about that myself.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awar is talking about the infosphere.

General knowledge all human beings pick up from being observant which uderpins our identities as citizens of the 21st century, and for most of us, formerly the 20th century... Customs between the two was a right son of a bitch.

You can't source the infosphere, because it only exists conceptually, or more honestly most of the time misconceptually.

(Edit: JINX!)

Anwar has previously stated that his "discussion-group" while Voyager was on, took the shape of 20 flesh and blood human beings, which would be the genesis of most of his sweeping opinions.

Carry on.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, they are. If TNG Had introduced the 8472 aliens no one would care that there was at least one alien species out there that could fight the Borg.

If DS9 had made the Vidiians into Gamma Quadrant folks ravaged by some GQ virus that made them the way they are, no one would mind them either.

But do this stuff in VOY? Nothing but complaints.

If those series are excused for this, then why not VOY too?

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does my overly positive voice count for nothing?

6. Guy Gardener

But you're just trying to get a piece of ass.

7. teacake

It doesn't work. I tried it with Harry and he just blushed and babbled at me.

8. Guy Gardener

You didn't hold him down?

Harry is such a flight risk, you need to... Turn into a cow?

9. Melakon

Any guy who bolts and runs whenever a beautiful woman tells him to take off his clothes, isn't worth bothering with.

10. Guy Gardener

How many times did he run, and how many times did we see it work out?

You have to remember that the girl in the Disease, Derran Tal, used him sexually, it didn't matter how far or how well he ran, he was a tiny cog in a massive revolutionary machine that was going to free her people from oppressive bondage, and she was going to pin him to something and abuse his trust no matter how much he sequels like a little piggy.

(Exactly the same as Janeway did with Cashak.)

11. teacake

That's what I needed to be successful. A CAUSE.

12. Guy Gardener

Find a cog and grease it.

13. Melakon

Next time, tell Harry you're taking donations to save the sperm whales.

14. teacake

My people value the sperm whales. This may work.

15. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, its funny you say this, because the more I rewatch Star Trek series (and mind you, I've seen *ALL* Star Trek series, save TOS and TAS in premier) the series I give the most grief to still remains DS9.

No matter what else you say about DS9, it will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have the Babylon 5 comparisons looming over its head, but you get past that and you have a series that messes up details after details after details after details.

Each time I watch re-watch Voyager, a series I thought was pretty bad while it was in premier, I am forced to admit to myself more and more it was some of the best Trek written. Every time I rewatch DS9, I am forced to admit more and more that too much of the series centered around knee-jerk reactions to one up Babylon 5 and the coherence of the series gets called into question practically every other episode.

TNG had some glitches too, but I give that series, fairly, a lot more slack because it needed room to grow and get its footing.

What's DS9's excuse? They objectively gleamed JMS's idea (which, btw, was originally pitched as a Star Trek series) and then made inconsistent references throughout the entire series.

The worst we got from Voyager in this ilk was Tulvok's randomly changing rank of the course of the first few episodes. We didn't even know what O'Brien was till what (full on visually)? Season 5?

16. Guy Gardener

Wait? What? The whales died out again!!!???

17. teacake

Sperm whales dying out, that's the definition of ironic.

When they actually go extinct I will laugh so hard!

18. Guy Gardener

Because Star Trek IV The Voyager Home was Right?

(Worst T-Shirt Slogan ever.)

19. teacake

No because of the irony.

20. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess also in fairness, Berman forgot that it was already established the Borg were in the Delta Quadrant till after Voyager launded.

I was at a (probably thee) convention were someone asked Berman "So, with Voyager in Delta Quadrant, does this mean there will be a lot of Borg in Voyager" --- I remember so clearly the expression of "Oh shit" on his face as he realized he landed Voyager in the middle of the Borg.

The pursuing fluster of comments after that of him trying to explain himself was amusing, but I do recall him giving up conventions for a while after that --- probably for good reason.