Coming in 4K - Star Trek's 1-IV??

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by JamesRye, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of us were discussing in another thread that the Bennet/Meyer-verse might be its own continuity, in which the Enterprise actually is 20 years old at that point.

Kor

2. USS Belmont

USS Belmont Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One more thing, I want to point out is that from the first 3 movies, you get the sense that the Enterprise is a big ship, either through interior or exterior shots. 4K just add to all that and made the Enterprise felt more real and bigger. I never get that sense from the TNG movies that the E-D or E-E are enormous. I guess I have to wait for 4K FC…

3. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no problem with that.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  4. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got II-IV on individual Blu-Rays (here's hoping for V & VI (Director's Cut of VI) and the Next Gen films soon), on Monday and I finished watching them last night. Is it me or did I just miss it, I could swear the prologue at the beginning of IV was missing?

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Sadly that wasn't included in the 2009 Blu-ray either. It was made specifically for the international market and wasn't ever present in the domestic theatrical or home video releases. Paramount Home Video UK did include it on the 2003 Special Edition DVD but it's not been on any subsequent release.

It's a real shame. I don't understand why it can't be included as an extra. The film doesn't feel complete without it for me!

But even the DVD didn't include the original European title sequence, which changed the title to "The Voyage Home - Star Trek IV".

Qonundrum and N-121973 like this.
  6. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had no idea it wasn't on all versions of the film. I don't own the 2009 Blu-Rays so I wasn't aware. I agree with you fully that it doesn't feel right without it. I wonder how this bodes for the director's cut of ST VI being released on Blu-Ray?

7. Tomalak

I'm pretty sure the director's cut if TUC will be included on the new 4K release - it was the only version you could get on home video for many years.

I think the prologue was missed because it's not familiar to American viewers. Many fans don't even know it exists because it's never been on a North American home video release.

8. USS Belmont

Looking online now, Amazon is completed out at list price. Best Buy still has some, but it’s location specific and are not too keen on doing delivery on this one? (Maybe just at my location, perhaps?) Otherwise, I see online prices at above $120…I wasn’t planning on picking this up now, but the early reviews were good and it was starting to sell out (at least on Amazon) I was glad I picked it up at a discounted price at BB and I got an extra discount on top of that. I have been enjoying these 4 in 4K very much. They have never been this crisp and clear before! Characters really just leap off the screen! You can see layers of smoke! So much detail! Wow!

Commander Troi likes this.
  9. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really, really appreciate the more natural colors for the casts, and overall its a solid release in 4K. My first watch through I was at first initially disappointed, but then I tempered my expectations. The last one I got was the 4K please of Lord of the Rings. And they did a spectacular job on those three films, but that was way better then what one should reasonable expect for most projects.

10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

This YouTube video does a great job showing the comparison between the last BR disk release and this 4k release. It focuses on TMP, but you get the idea.

Commander Troi and Qonundrum like this.
  11. STEPhon IT

I'm happy to see the advertisement showcase TMP uniforms it makes Kirk and Spock stand out.

12. USS Belmont

You get the idea…4K vs. Blu ray(2009)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  13. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

TMP - I did a double-take when the opening credits rolled for TMP, they were soft and blurry. Tapping "details" on the remote, lo and behold, it was 4K HDR dolby blahbetyblah...

...but the inlaid text with the Klingon and Vulcan scenes quickly reassure this is a proper 4K release. There's a lot more in sharpness, accurate color timing, and overall detail that confirm fast enough that it's proper 4K, and the number of composited bits at the time was daring - not since 2001 had anything like this been used. (Yes, Star Wars is known for its effects - lots of whiz-bang boom boom distance shots. Not the close-up stuff that adds a scale of tangibility that SW lacked more often than not. TMP really sells the scale eminently well.

Definitely do read review websites' articles as some scenes do have soft eras, with verbiage to reassure like "one too many times through an optical printer, but that aside nothing like the excessive DNR of the 2009 release", and so on. This set is by far the best the movies have ever looked (and sounded), bar none.

Commander Troi and Pauln6 like this.
  14. Tomalak

Yes, I think what we're seeing with TMP is why the Director's Cut was so badly needed in the first place.

15. KarmicCurse

KarmicCurse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Has the Okudas' text commentary from the Special Edition DVDs been restored to these new blu-ray and/or 4K? They were removed from the 2009 versions. I don't like the Starfleet Access thing they replaced them with.

Any other Special Edition bonus content left off these?

Tangentially, did the Okudas do a text commentary on the TOS DVDs? I've only ever owned the show on blu-ray.

Thanks in advance.

16. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Commander Red Shirt

I think select episodes have them, but as caption overlays rather than straight text. Quite hard to read, actually.

17. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

It blows my mind how cheap and lazy Paramount is when it comes to extra features for Star Trek. The Twilight Zone Bluray box set with 156 episodes of The has at least 175 commentaries. With some episodes getting two or even three commentaries per episode. The upcoming Kolchak Blu-ray set has 21 commentaries for 20 episodes. Outer Limits 48 episodes and at least 30 commentaries. But Star Trek the Original Series 79 episodes how many have commentaries 10?

Richard S. Ta and Commander Troi like this.
  18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I enjoy commentary from people who actually worked on the production in question, much more than commentary from researchers or film critics who weren't even involved. But in the case of older shows, the former option becomes less viable as more and more performers, producers, etc. of those times are no longer with us.

Kor

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Was able to find this set for a good price and burned some holiday cash on it. Should arrive tonight or tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing them.

20. STEPhon IT

Paramount doesn't treat their gold mine as should be treated; it a shame they own that franchise. Star Trek should get the Disney treatment for home video content.

publiusr, Commander Troi and Vger23 like this.