Collars or No Collars?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by PicardSpeedo, Nov 4, 2018.

?

Collars or No Collars?

1. Collars

74 vote(s)
    88.1%
  2. No collars

10 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

He’s wearing four layers. Jacket, vest, shirt, and undershirt. No wonder he’s sweating.

Lance and Tim Thomason like this.
  2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

IIRC, wasn't it also shown at one point that both the vest and the outer layer of Sisko's uniform have their own commbadge? I remember we saw that Kirk's jacket and vest each had their own badge in Generations (which, again, why is he wearing both at the same time? Didn't we all see TWOK where they explicitly switch jackets?)

Lance likes this.
  3. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s all pretty silly IMHO. They should be wearing one layer of super-teflon that’s waterproof and doesn’t stain, maintains your inner temperature regardless of outside heat or cold, and that both won’t tear and can come apart (like Ro’s did) from a seamless opening in the front or in any segments you like, including bandages.

All that, without even mentioning auto-camouflage, homing beacon, internal communicator, medical diagnostics, and SIRI.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Nakita Akita likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

How many layers? The Sisko must have been boiling.

Terok Nor and STEPhon IT like this.
  5. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

At least he didn't also have make-up and hair to deal with.

Nakita Akita, Terok Nor and Armus like this.
  6. Toby Meyer

Toby Meyer Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The part that gets ignored is the "piping" on the black shoulder area of the uniforms. I'm glad they were removed.

7. olysounder89

olysounder89 Ensign Newbie

I always wondered if this was done to show this is what is always worn for Starfleet.

Side question though... I don't recall on ever seeing an early DS9/Voy uniform with a vest. Was it just the jacket and the longsleeve undershirt?

8. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Please, please, don't interrupt this thread with practicality.

9. STEPhon IT

Sigh. I'll try this again with bold letters.

The women versions was a strange fit and I couldn't understand why there wasn't a fit which would apply a skirt or short sleeves I might add.

10. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I believe so, just the turtle neck and the jumpsuit.

Personally I think both versions of the DS9 uniform could have used a belt, and the visible seam zipper, like Admiral Ross's uniform.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    olysounder89 likes this.
  11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I still don't understand the distinction you're making, but it's probably my fault. I'm very sigh-worthy.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  12. STEPhon IT

It's not an outfit appropriate for a woman or a man IMO but for a skirt it should be either smaller in the mid-section and apply the dress jacket with a smaller or thinner belt so it would look... somewhat decent but I don't have clue why the heck the Hornblower-esque outfit was decided for the cast. How does a person breath wearing those impractical outfits, especially when overweight???

Nakita Akita likes this.
  13. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Well, hot yes, "boiling" might be an overstatement.

14. PureCrimson

PureCrimson Commander Red Shirt

The badges look a lot better on collars. I was thinking this same thing the last time I watched it, to be honest.

The only part of the season 1 uniforms I liked more than the later ones was the pin-striping on top. I'm guilty of liking lots of pointless color lines on my clothing.

Lance likes this.
  15. 1moreRobot

1moreRobot Lieutenant Red Shirt

As a youngster, I thought the collared uniforms were a big improvement. I remember how annoyed I was when the only Playmates actions figures I could find were the early season ones (“collars not stripes!” I’d always tell my mom when she was out shopping).

Looking back, the men’s collared uniforms reflect too much of the oversized, unfitted baggy look of the 90s for my taste. Plus, I have a soft spot for first and second season TNG now, when it seemed like more of an adventure into the unknown, so there’s a pleasant nostalgia factor for those early uniforms.

When GE made that robots commercial a few years ago, I was glad that they opted for early Data in spandex.

Lance and Arpy like this.
  16. Roundabout

Roundabout Commander Red Shirt

The admiral uniform that Jameson wore had a really nice look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It didn't have a collar, but it had that sash. I don't know if the sash was a separate accessory or if it was sewed onto the shirt. In any case, it was stylish. Btw, it looked so much better than Worf's tacky sash.

The gold trims on the sleeves, at the edge of the sash, and that borders the black and red portions of the shirt were nice touches. Like the sash, they were not only decorative but gave the uniform the look of authority.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    PureCrimson and Lance like this.
  17. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the TNG uniforms most of all Star trek uniforms. One coud really see which department the crewmembers belonged to. However the DS9 and Voyager uniforms were OK.

But I've never understood why security had the same uniforms as engineering. Security should have been an own department with separate colors. Dark green or maybe violet or bright orange.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    PureCrimson likes this.
  18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

If you want to learn more about the season one admiral's uniform, check out this detailed analysis of a screen-worn one: http://www.startrekcostumeguide.com/p/tng-admiral-season-1-analysis-contents.html

Qonundrum, Lance, Armus and 2 others like this.
  19. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Violet strikes me as more of a Sciences or Staff Corps colour. I'm also in favour of the light/dark of a colour making a difference.

I generally prefer keeping Engineering (potentially including Flight Systems, Comms and Armory) in red and putting Security and Services in Yellow/Gold as part of a Red-Yellow-White-Olive/Sage-Cyan or Red-Yellow-Olive/Sage-Cyan-Lilac combo.

20. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I realize that i hit the wrong button on the vote. Is it possible to edit?
    I like the uniforms with the collars better, as they were in the beginning of TNG. It looks a bit silly having the rank pips on the turtleneck jerseys.

I have a theory why they changed Engineering uniforms, including security from red to yellow. There were so many casualties among security personel during Kirk's time on the Enterprise so the "red shirt curse" became a well-known phenomenon and superstition among Starfleet personel.

That resultedin problems recruiting new security personel so Starfleet decided to change from red to yellow, thus getting rid of the "red hirt curse" superstition.

I actually agree that red would be better for security.

However, I would find it hard to see Picard and Riker in other colors than red.

Maybe they could have the colors like my edited picture below with either green for security and red for command or vice versa?

[​IMG]