Cobra Commander revealed (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Would this have really been so hard if even a fan can do it??

Found this nice little pic from a convention :)

[​IMG]

2. Cartoonist

Cartoonist Captain Captain

That cuts it, if the guy doesn't understand why the KKK suggestion would actually be a good thing when you're creating a villain, I have no interest in seeing the villain he ended up filming.

I'm not a huge GI Joe fan (I watched the show in the '80s and barely remember anything other than Snake Eyes), so I don't care if they change the designs a bit. But that lame excuse is a real buzz kill for me.

I'm only going to see this if the reviews are really, really good.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a big fan of this franchise so I'm thinking:
    WTF are they on?
    Why not ask a fan what he or she thinks before approving the design, particularly if you are marketing to adults who were fans as kids. That was one thing that Lucas did not do with TPM and look where it got him. At least he made a unique looking villain

4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know why they didn't just use the metal face mask?

5. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

WTF? That's supposed to be Cobra Commander?

6. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

maybe this version of the mask is a precursor to the hood like ironman's mark I was a precursor to the gold and red suit.

7. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

So the source material not being "Tom Clancy" level realistic justifies any BS changes they want to make?

What's really sad is that when this tanks (and I have a STRONG feeling it will, given all we know at this point), the studio will blame the concept for the failure, not their stupid, PC meddling.

8. darkwing_duck1

SWEEEET!

Classic CC AND a fem-trooper!!!!:drool:

9. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

for Christ's sake, read the damn material before spouting shit off like you know the source materials.

GI Joe is a world organization. They recruited people from outside the United States and had partnership with the Oktober Guards. Hell Vorona in the current comics is part of the GI Joe.

Don't forget that Major Bludd, part of the Drednoks, Destro, Xamot and Tomax, and the Baroness come from different parts of the world.

10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never thought of the hood as looking KKK-like, but even if it does, since the KKK is, or was a terrorist organization for most of its history, and Cobra is a terrorist organization, I don't see a problem with that.

Better yet, just go back to the face plate. That's more recognizable to me as Cobra Commander anyway than even the hood. That new mask is horrible. One of the coolest things about CC was that we never got to see his face.

11. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Paramount have killed Cobra Commander

12. Thespeckledkiwi

We'll see. I mean they killed Jazz and Bumblebee.

13. darkwing_duck1

Uh...read the comics when I was growing up, thank you....watched the tv series, thank you.

I think I know the source material quite well.

GI Joe is AMERICA'S "highly trained Special Missions Force", though they do have counterparts like the October Guard overseas. They are based out of a major military instillation in the eastern US, n a complex underneath the Motor Pool of the "Chaplains' Assistant School".

They are not now, nor have they EVER been an "international force" based out of Europe.

They use modified and improved versions of regular military vehicles. They do NOT wear black "power booster armor".

CC wears a military uniform with either a hood or a mirror faced battle helmet, not some stupid looking "boy in a plastic bubble" mask.

#2 is some exec's idea of "sci fi-ing it up a bit".

1 & 3 are just stupid ass PC decisions made by some studio commitee.

14. Thespeckledkiwi

No you don't. And the TV series, you would know they had INTERNATIONAL help as well.

Oktober Guard. I would also like to mention they have had many and multiple excursions in Latin America as well. Oktober Guard is essentially part of GI Joe. Vorona was added to the team in the 2000s as part of a merging. Big Ben and Outback both come from outside America as well. They have had multiple people coming from outside America. They have also worked hand in hand with multiple international forces as well like Mossad, the RCP and other international forces. Hell T'JBang (or whatever his name is) is in Tibet...or China and he's part of the team as well. Ever heard of the Red Shadow?

Uh and no, their major military installation was moved multiple times.

And yet some of their biggest adverseries have been European based. It makes sense to move some of the team from Europe and have it as international. You know, pesky little international law.

Not PC at all when the source material points that having it as an American team is asinine. BTW what about changing the source material for Master and Commander because they thought it would offend Americans? Or U-571? Or the fact they made Enemy at the Gate English and had an American there as well?

15. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

At first I didn't know what kind of crack you guys were smoking when I looked at the site. Admittedly, I just saw the picture at the top of the page and didn't bother reading, chocking it up to the first few people in the thread having a different taste to me.

But after coming back to see multiple pages of dissent, I went back and had a closer look at the article. Sweet zombie Jesus, that's God-awful.

Anyway.

Keyword: Help. G.I. Joe (a 100% American term, which is the key point for people upset with the change) was a 100% American organization. Just because they had people from other governments working with them and were able to go into other countries (presumably with permission), that doesn't change a thing. The American military has lots of international assistance with bases all over the world, but that doesn't make it anything other than the American military.

It's insulting because it's taking a well-known patriotic term and spitting all over it. It's even insulting to other nations because its using a wholly American term to describe what's effectively a world police organization -- which is exactly why so many non-Americans hate Americans in the first place!

16. Thespeckledkiwi

They recruited people from outside the United States...Plus again, international terrorists.

17. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw this a few days ago. It's an okay design for a generic Darth Vader-ish character. Not the CC I remember.

18. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Well we ARE talking about altering an iconic part of what made GI Joe... well GI Joe.... The black armor, and now this... Weeeelll I'm going to see the movie but I suspect it will be like Starship Troopers was... Similar in name only.

As long as it entertains me that's all that matters. I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep one way or the other, I still have my memories and my old comics. :)

19. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

I sure hope so. Damn, that's stupid looking. Not Cobra Commander.

20. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

HAHAHAHA that's the dumbest thing I think I've ever seen! :lol:

The costumes from Spaceballs were much more believeable and threatening. :lol: