clocks, clocks everywhere (STVI)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Shat Happens, Apr 24, 2014.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Liked the clocks, liked the bells.

No.

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should just go the whole hog, and just have everybody in Star Trek wear a wrist-watch as well.

Oh wait... I forgot, they already did that:

[​IMG]
    "This... damn, thing, NEVER... seems to keep, to, time!"

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are many psychological factors and attitudes to timekeeping, especially considering (and explaining!) the diversity of means today. Some people like gadgets and don't mind wearing a dedicated timepiece in addition to half a dozen other things in their pockets that would also meet the need. Some want to centralize everything into their mobile phone / pocket computer, but might prefer a wrist computer if one ever became available. Some simply prefer antiques like wrist or pocket watches, or consider these status symbols. Others want to see timepieces on the walls for the same reasons of prestige and custom. The very act of summoning time from a gadget may be too bothersome to many; others may hate cluttering up their view with extraneous information.

But all that's just one aspect of the issue. Would people stuck on a five-year mission inside an (admittedly largish) tin can prefer constant reminders of time, or rather the deliberate hiding of timepieces? I could well see Scotty being ordered to rip out 203 time displays two months into the mission and install soothing chimes or colorful GNDN junctions in their place... Kirk would check the exact time when absolutely forced to, but generally he'd prefer hearing four bells to denote his duty shift start.

There's also the issue of appropriate futurism. On many an occasion, our heroes are able to keep the time to remarkable accuracy somehow, without any visible means - say, when imprisoned without their gadgetry. For Spock or Bashir, this may come naturally. But do the others perhaps have implanted timepieces, right next to their implanted universal translators? This could be a feature of the general population rather than something for Starfleet officers only. The military might still require more robust and reliable means of timekeeping aboard the ships, hence various basically redundant displays.

Timo Saloniemi

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the clocks were an interesting touch at the time. They did seem a bit anachronistic, but to me they fit in well with the rest of the set design, and I can see some advantages to having the time immediately available...though IIRC at times some of the clocks, or maybe just the one above the main viewscreen, are turned off for no apparent reason?

In a way I feel it would have been better if the time had played a significant role in the film in some regard (though I'm most definitely not talking about time travel), but in another way I feel that might have lampshaded their presence as surely as Valeris being the only prominent non-regular on the E meant when things went awry she was essentially the only real suspect (an issue I had with the movie version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire as well).

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One ping, Valeris. One ping only.

6. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"...That's all right, Captain Kirk. My Morse is so rusty, I may be sending dimensions of Playmate of the Month."

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

They do provide some tension in the "approaching Khitomer" scene, although Spock's countdown makes them a bit redundant.

Speaking of that, it's nicely alien that Spock counts down in increments of three seconds. Humans would probably count in five. Or, if in a hurry, in two, as that's the shortest interval that doesn't yet get your tongue in a knot. Counting in threes messes up our decimal thinking...

It would have been the perfect time to make Chekov the villain here. He's a good candidate for a patriot and a Klingon-hater (they killed his brother, remember?), and an eager sort-of-young man who thinks what he is doing will greatly please his skipper even though he has to work in secrecy to give Kirk deniability. We could almost forgive him for participating in this plot - especially if Valeris turned out to be an accomplice who was better versed in the darker sides of the plot.

Timo Saloniemi

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Poor Chekov. The unwilling villain in ST2, and now the unwitting villain in ST6! Can't the guy ever catch a break?

9. DonIago

What if Scotty was the villain?

You know, I sense the makings of a poll here...

10. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Scotty indeed hates Klingons.... but Sulu was not aboard the Enterprise..... maybe it was him. And where was Saavik?

11. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

To say nothing of getting his hand burned in TMP, falling off the deck of the aircraft carrier in TVH, getting lost in the woods and later brainwashed into one of Sybok's followers in TFF.

And then there's this travesty: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/tsfshd0581.jpg

12. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

The way I see the clock-issue: it doesn´t really matter whether or not such large and obviously placed clocks would make sense in-universe or not. Fact is, there weren´t any in three seasons of TOS and five movies, meaning they aren´t needed and/or wanted on a starship. So suddenly having them seems unnecessary at best.

To me they were always a distraction - I just can´t help but look at the running clock instead of the action on the Enterprise´s viewscreen.

Mario

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there a clock on the helm/nav console in "The Naked Now"? or am I mis-remembering?

15. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Yes there was. But it was, as you said, down there on the console - among the other buttons, switches, dials and displays - and not up there above the main viewscreen in plain sight for everyone.

16. DonIago

But that could just as easily work the other way...Starfleet decided over time that there in fact -was- a need for clocks.

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yes.

The visual nods to HFRO in ST VI are as obvious as the script borrowings - which is to say, very.

18. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

A delusion planted in Chekov's mind by the alien entity in "Day of the Dove." According to Sulu, Chekov has no brother -- he's an only child.

19. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I also thought why make Chekov a traitor in the very last (intended) movie?
    Its like killing off Data and Trip in the last movie/episode. The general public doesn't care and it just makes (some) fans unhappy.
    I say let them go as heroes and not die.

20. DonIago

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but that would put us back at the question of how to introduce a traitor aboard the E without making it obvious who it will be.

The only other solution that comes to mind is introducing enough minor characters that you can have some doubt.