Classic Star Trek toy....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Anyone remember this?

[​IMG]

I had one of these, and in the gold colour. Way back when I'd play with my Star Trek models (the Enterprise and the Klingon battle cruiser) I used this to simulate torpedoes fired at each ship.

It was a helluva lot of fun! :)

C.E. Evans likes this.
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

My brother had one.

3. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Okie dokie! Moderator

To answer your question, no, I don't remember that. I didn't know such a thing existed.

And the resemblance to the weapons used on the actual show is uncanny... :wtf:

Kor likes this.
  4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No, it was obvious it had no connection whatsoever to what was seen on the show, but they bought the licencing rights anyway. If I'm not mistaken this toy was marketed in connection to other things besides Trek.

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Okie dokie! Moderator

Apparently, it wasn't really necessary that tie-in toys of the 60s and 70s actually, y'know, tied in...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There are actually some pretty funny photshops online of Spock wearing the second one. I'd probably pay good money to see someone CGI it into an actual episode, though! :lol:

Kor likes this.
  6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I had one of these. Wish I still did...

[​IMG]

Gary Mitchell and HuckleCat like this.
  7. Sybok Was Wrong

Sybok Was Wrong Commander Red Shirt

I still have that tracer gun in its original packaging. I wonder what the value is.

Those helmets are hilarious! Spock should have worn that.

8. HuckleCat

HuckleCat Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

We used to shoot pennies out of the Tracer Gun when we invariably ran out of Jet Discs...

9. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved this toy almost as much as my Mattel Eagle from Space: 1999.

10. Maurice

[​IMG]

Sleestak prototype!

11. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't have the Star Trek version. But I did have the helicopter version that was all red plastic. The rotor blades worked and the helicopter had a hook on the bottom that you used to pick stuff up.
    And my brothers and I had several of the disc guns. It was amazing how fast all of those discs disappeared.

12. Maurice

This one, perhaps?

13. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Almost it. A quick Google search showed that the one I had was the original Vertibird from 1972. With a simple landing pad and a couple of items to pick up. There's several different versions of this toy. I remember that I had asked for the GI Joe helicopter for Christmas that year. And I got this instead. and I had about five or six of the large original GI Joes. I think I got the GI Joe helicopter later for my birthday. It was huge.for a six year old kid.

14. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aww, you beat me to the punch!

As for the siren Spock helmet, a slight variation of this toy/costume accessory was used in the (in)famous "Hardware Wars" parody short.

Sincerely,

Bill

15. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I barely remember it but when I was very young, I remember having a squirt gun like this, or similar to it. I think it broke within a day or two of getting it.
    [​IMG]

Around the same time, I remember these action figures
    [​IMG]

Galileo7 likes this.
  16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I had this--and another version without the Star Trek tie in. As common as tracer guns were in the 70s--more of its production life without the ST license--every time I ever spotted one on the peg, I could not help thinking of the ST version.

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen something similar in stores lately for SWVII:TFA, with the Millenium Falcon.

The big Mego figures were great.

Kor

18. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a few of the smaller figures. Not sure if they're in the attic or anything still, but they won't be boxed up unfortunately.

19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My brother and I had a few colors of those guns, but I never knew till now that there was a Star Trek branded version. When they were in good working order they could sail a little disc quite a ways.

I remember seeing those TMP figures in one place: The few shelves that comprised the toy "section" way at the back of a JC Penney, one of the last stores a kid wanted to visit. I think I was there with my mom while she picked up a catalog order or something.

20. Maurice

Nice Ken Adam profile pic you got there.:bolian: