Christopher McQuarrie wants to direct a Trek movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Wow it'd make all kinds of sense for him to direct ST4 after the MIs. And with FallOut becoming the biggest MI yet Paramount are bound to take his Trek talk seriously. Wonder if hed do the Trek Thor script or come up with something else..(guess it'd be the latter with the pay dispute impasse).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    saddestmoon and pst like this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I guess Star Trek 4 is back in development hell? :weep::sigh:

3. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

honestly? nope. I, for one, think that old trek fans should be banned from making movies for this trek, LOL
    comments like this "I feel like Star Trek is kind of… it’s gone away from what the tenants of the series were about, which was kind of the hope and the promise and the science." - while I don't disagree 100%, they give me "snob elite trek fans with nostalgia who hate the reboot and discovery because it isn't 'real trek(tm)' " vibes, and all that pretentious stuff about trek 'ideals' and spirit and romanticizing the past.. that is exasperating and out of touch with the reality, not to mention disingenuous too because 8 times out of 10 what people really 'miss' in new trek has nothing to do with 'trek ideals' and 'trek science' and everything to do with wanting to essentially see the same things forever. To some people, it seems we should still be contemporary for 60s standards, but with just better special effects.

I think what this trek needs is someone who simply loves it and is inspired by it, someone who gets its potential and is a tad more unbiased. Unfortunately, a lot of old trek fans may not be good candidates because they may just elect themselves as our savior who can 'restore' real trek and 'save' us from evil JJ... and this is derailing and a recipe for failure. The result would just be another nostalgia fest movie that ignores the more successful movies JJ did, thus alienates the general audience and people who liked these movies - only to then play oblivious when it isn't as successful as expected, blaming it all on bad marketing only or whatever..
    I also disagree with the vibe I'm getting here that, essentially, they should make trek only for old fans. If you start with that kind of logic, you are doomed for me and you make trek doomed with you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Ovation, Nyotarules and seigezunt like this.
  4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who?

Kor

XCV330 likes this.
  5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Or he's just a talented director with an eye for making entertaining movies, is a trek fan, and has ties to Paramount and bad robot.

I don't see the problem here.

Rahul and Galileo7 like this.
  6. psCargile

psCargile Captain Captain

I'm pushing 50, and I like to see a Trek that had exploration, science, action, and danger, whose plot is not, in any way shape or form, revenge. Whoever can deliver that, let them.

Star Trek is what is it is. Make Star Trek, or slap a different able on it.

7. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

He did everything but say "Gene's Vision" and lament the lack of blue beams.

Nyotarules likes this.
  8. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like he has a firm grip on Trek, throw money at him.

Galileo7 and Smellmet like this.
  9. Smellmet

Exactly. He's not even remotely attached to any star trek project, let alone us knowing what sort of material he'd produce. He's just done two awesome MI movies (fallout in particular was superb).

I'd give him a chance in a heartbeat.

Galileo7 likes this.
  10. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

11. Smellmet

He's certainly got a better resume than Clarkson if nothing else.

But I'd also imagine he will cost more.

12. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

McQuarrie got (rightfully) scared off of wanting to direct a Star Wars movie after he saw how fanatical fans went after Rian Johnson for The Last Jedi.

Does he not know what Trekkies are like? Should we warn him?

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Wondering who these folks might be, and how much rent they were paying.

Sionevar and pst like this.
  14. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd fucking LOVE him to do!

Smellmet likes this.
  15. Sionevar

Sionevar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If it means the Kirk's dad / time travel storyline gets the boot, he's got my vote...

Smellmet likes this.
  16. Khan 2.0

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simont...-trilogy-thoughts-and-star-trek/#63b603903d98

pst likes this.
  17. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Everyone wants to direct but right now the biggest news would be someone wanting to produce it lol (or pay the Chris(s) )

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

pARamoUnT PIctuRes pLEaSe pAY cHriS HeMSworTH and ChrIs piNE aND makE sTAr TReK 4 bEForE it Is tOo LaTE

saddestmoon and Smellmet like this.
  19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love for McQuarrie to make a Trek movie. I've loved his Mission: Impossible films. That being said, all this panic about Trek 4 not on the production slate, being stalled, etc., just a reminder that the M:I movies made six movies over the course of 22 years.

It may not happen as fast as we want... but there's hope they'll still be a Trek 4, 5, and 6. ;)

pst likes this.
  20. Khan 2.0

indeed - often you read ppl moaning comparing ST to MCU which has about 3 films a year now..yet what is and has always been Treks closest franchise ?... MI (all they need to do is make sure the next movie goes Ghost Protocol instead of Nemesis)

Ryan Thomas Riddle and pst like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.