Check in for pre-2000 TrekBBS Members.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by StarMan, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I joined in 2002 as Mr. Laser Beam, then in '05 I abandoned that account and started over as Babaganoosh (and yeah, I did try to make people think I was somebody else...not too many fell for it :alienblush: :lol: ). Eventually I spilled the beans and asked for a name change. So this is actually my second account with the Mr. Laser Beam name.

Why did I do all of this in the first place? Long story short, in '05 I was going through a real rough patch (bad breakup) and felt a need to hide.

Oh and just in case: The reason I originally chose the name 'Mr. Laser Beam' had nothing to do with its initials. ;) (It's a reference to the Alan Parsons Project, one of my favorite bands.)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't you use stardream already at another board? The name looks so very familiar. But maybe it's just because it so much resembles starscream

3. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

We might have run into each other someplace else. I use different variations of 'Star' on the various boards I visit. :)

4. rhubarbodendron

IC. I was one of the 10 founders of EFCL and a regular at SlipstreamBBS (now replaced by ExIsle), Batboy's "Space Bar", TerranBBS and an occasional poster at Troll Kingdom

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

@rhubarbodendron, you posted on TrollKingdom? I find that hard to believe. You're too nice for that!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

How may pre-2000 members are there, a hundred or so possibly?

7. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

July 31, 2001. Its Neroon's fault. I'd been lurking for a good while, mostly related to Babylon 5. Neroon maid a comment that forced me to lose my BBS virginity. Yes, it was good for me.

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Creaking rocking chair sound from the corner..

RAMA

9. rhubarbodendron

hey, a genuine oldtimer! We are honoured by your presence, oh revered elder :D
    What was the board like when you joined? Any anecdotes to share?

@ Mr. Laser Beam: In the very beginning TK was actually fun. You should have read missmanners' "Rules for Orgies" - priceless! :D Also, in chat, many trolls dropped their pose and turned out to be really nice. There used to be quite a lot of recipe-swapping - I still have a very good beef teriyaki recipe by Sardonica :drool: Later the mood changed drastically and TK became a collection of perverts and wannabe-criminals.
    Btw, many TrekBBSers have/had a TK account. Including current staff members and Admirals ;)

Mr. Laser Beam, RAMA and Amaris like this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I first registered in 1999. I posted pretty regularly in the early/mid-2000s. Then it became less and less. I don't have the time, energy, or desire to get into constant debates about Star Trek or "keep the peace". Even without that, I can only talk about the same material so much.

But, anyway, it was fun -- most the time -- when I was a regular. Some interesting discussions came out of it. Some perspectives I never would've thought of otherwise too.

11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, same date as me. :cool:

Kor

12. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was not a member of this site, but I got into Star Trek through my parents. We would have "family day" on Sundays. The four of us would sit around the TV, and watch Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes which aired on WKBD-FOX 50 in Detroit, and my first, I remember clearly, was the 12 PM showing of "The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1," the day the second half, was to air at 8PM, that night. My fandom didn't really take off from there until I was 9 or 10. My brother and I, in the summer of '93-'95 would sneak down to the basement and watch Next Gen and Star Trek re-runs at 12 AM and 1 AM on the same station. I trolled the Startrek.com message boards in 1997, and found other online communities, including links to spoilers (pics from First Contact and Insurrection, the Dominion War arc episodes of DS9's 6th season). I joined here, because someone linked it onto the Star Trek message boards. I returned in 2008, to the message boards, after a 10-year hiatus of watching seriously, anything Trek. Re-runs on Spike TV of Voyager would play, but I would be immersed in Detroit Pistons message boards and reading about Eugene O'Neill or Tennessee Williams to really pay attention. But, after 2008's "Under Construction" campaign, I would re-sample everything over the next 5 years. And, now with disposable income and a goal, I have purchased all the Star Trek I care about (sans Seasons 2 and 5 of DS9, still waiting to get those). The internet has come a long way, let's just say that. So, I have only been intermittently here about 5 years. But, I love the discussions and keep coming back. You inspired me to share, so there it is. Have a good day. :)

13. rhubarbodendron

^ A double case of Next Generation (first watched TNG and next Generation of fandom) =)
    When I was 7 or 8, TOS aired for the first time in my country and we kids used to play Trek almost every day. We frequently quarreled, though, because everyone wanted to be Spock and nobody wanted to be Kirk :D

The idea of a whole family watching Trek together is pretty cool ! =) Unfortunately, my mom loathes SciFi and keeps making comments on the way the characters look. Spoils all the fun :(

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ My Mother is terrified of Star Trek, or anything imaginative. :rommie:

15. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

So many newbies in this thread. :p

I officially joined in March 2000 (:eek:), but had been lurking for three or four months beforehand. It's mostly been downhill from there (Garth even named a thread after me :D), with the ultimate indignity being the orange username. Lots of memories, good and bad. Of the many, many online sites of various descriptions I've signed up to this is one of the two or three I still bother with, so it must have something going for it.

16. rhubarbodendron

it's because you can't live without us teasing you :D

17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Yup. It's true. :angel:

18. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Who are you? :p

Ah, the ancient times with no avatars and no PM system. Those were the days. :lol:

19. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's the same Darkening who posted at WF with me, he dropped off the grid years ago there because he said someone was slaking him. Which was the height of hilarity, given the length he went to tell me for months how I was on ignore whether I was addressing him or not. Fuck him. :rolleyes:

20. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, @cooleddie74 might be the only genuine pre 2000 poster left. Back when Enterprise ended (the time period where I was more involved here), he'd already been a member for about six or seven years. Mind you, the average life cycle of any given account in those days was two years.