Chapel Character Teaser

Sounds more to me like these are spliced up clips from episode one of the characters getting to know each other and their expertise on the Starfleet's flagship. Of course they will come across as such.

Yes, of course we’re explicitly told it’s the flagship!
So? They are the best of the best. That's about all it means. It's not arrogance to be confident. Kirk could come across as a smug and egotistical, especially out of context.

I know it's limited information to work from and speculation will continue on.

So? They are the best of the best. That's about all it means. It's not arrogance to be confident. Kirk could come across as a smug and egotistical, especially out of context.

I know it's limited information to work from and speculation will continue on.

May mean very little, if that. I’m sure there will be more to these characters. But this is a spin-off of a show where everything must be cranked to 11, and has suffered for it. Hope SNW doesn’t make the same mistakes.

Personally, I’m a lot less interested in the best of the best than I am in relatable, human characters, even if they aren’t human.

Well, the TOS crew were the best of the best, and painted in rather broad, bright strokes at that. This is probably what they mean to emulate here.

Trek on TV has been too muted, and too formal and solemn for decades now. Hopefully they can turn in a different direction.

I don’t think there’s anything muted or formal about Discovery, or Picard for that matter. The sins of 20 years ago are far less relevant than the sins of today, when the shows are far more likely to err on the side of the excessive and the overblown. I fully admit that’s coloring my concerns about this stuff.

Good point. This is at least the third character teaser to feature this type of dialogue, so maybe most of the characters, regardless of sex, are going to be written as vaguely arrogant. Which seems equally weird. It’s a very 2020s concept of self-actualization.

Maybe that's what they are going for. Its in line with both TOS and the first season of DIS. And may make for a refreshing change of pace.

Rebecca Romijn wearing a blonde wig should be playing Chapel. :mad:

Maybe she still will. For now, we have a younger Chapel to learn about. I was skeptical about Jess Bush as Chapel at first myself, but the idea of her in that role has grown on me.

It's hard for me to pin down what it is exactly, but the set and lighting design for this show (for example, the wide shot of the medical bay at the start of this feature or the shot over Spock's shoulder at Chapel as he touches his head) feel at once more believably real than Star Trek has felt to me in a long time and yet pleasantly, fancifully mid-century sci-fi, too. I've been waiting for a version of Star Trek that had the total visual world-building cohesion of The Expanse, but brightly optimistic, and this feels so close to that, at last.

There also seems to be a clear choice for this show to play with vistas, planets, and ships that teeter on that weird edge Star Trek had in the early days when the parameters of the universe had not yet been established and anything was possible. I'm admittedly not a big TOS fan, but the things I enjoy most about it are the things coming through so far here.

I like all recent Trek offerings, but there's something that feels a little like lighting in a bottle here. Things coming together in a proportion that appeals to me. I'll try not to get too excited, but I am excited.

Last edited:
Steve Shives on Twitter:

Pretty bold of the creators of Strange New Worlds to mess with Nurse Chapel's classic character by giving her a personality.

LOL. This was more or less my first reaction to the trailer as well. It feels genuinely odd to see the character actually be a character.

I think I love her already, however. These character trailers are doing a pretty good job at making me excited for what this show has to offer.

Yeah, I had that same thought too. I like the character that appears in the trailer, but I don't get how she's supposed to be the same Nurse Chapel we've already met.

I'm happy with all the character trailers so far.

The most personality Chapel ever showed before was in TAS "Mudd's Passion" when her lust for Spock caused some pretty massive problems for the ship, not to mention dangerous situations.

If you go into the live action series, you've really got very little to work with. Even in "What Are Little Girls Made of?" when you'd expect a character introduction, she's basically simply only there the whole time.

What else did she do in live action? She made Spock some soup, she got to be a receptacle for his consciousness. She gave some children some ice cream. She got to start slapping Spock back to consciousness until Scotty stopped her. She got Ensign Garrovick to try eating. OK, in fairness, that was probably her best bit in the live action series, at least that I can recall. What am I forgetting?

In the films, ah, yes. She's happy to see Spock again, she prescribes him some drugs. She lets it be known that they need power to keep medical systems running during the whale probe attack. What else?

A big nada.

So glad we're finally getting an actual character attached to the name. :techman:

I liked this. Her friendship with Spock looks really cute.
Steve Shives on Twitter:

Pretty bold of the creators of Strange New Worlds to mess with Nurse Chapel's classic character by giving her a personality.
My impression of TOS Chapel was always dark. She came across broken and depressed to me. Always trying but with suffering behind her eyes

This Chapel is totally different. And that's cool.

As others have said, Rodger Kirby is only a few years away:evil:

May mean very little, if that. I’m sure there will be more to these characters. But this is a spin-off of a show where everything must be cranked to 11, and has suffered for it. Hope SNW doesn’t make the same mistakes.

Personally, I’m a lot less interested in the best of the best than I am in relatable, human characters, even if they aren’t human.
And even DSC isn't turned up to 11 any more.

SNW is goingt o make completely different mistakes.

Best of the best are still humans.

Both M‘Benga and Chapel have Commander stripes. Very sloppy. With Memory Alpha around it really shouldn‘t be that difficult to get these things right.

Back