Chancellor L’Rell and Klingon culture moves backwards in a century

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Groppler Zorn, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given the actual production staff is working with the Cryptic/STO Dev team no to contradict ST: D - and over it all, it's the same person guiding all these shows, they might be doing the same thing here for the unnamed (as yet) Picard series. Back when STO was first being developed, Cryptic HAD planned a Romulan storyline involving Romulus.

They had to scrap all the work done on that because CBS gave them the heads up (before much about ST09 had leaked) that "Hey Romulus is destroyed in the Prime Timeline, so no Romulus in STO..."<--- The point being this wouldn't be the first time CBS worked with Crytic to conform tosomething; and if internal Klingon Empire politics don't play a part in the new Picard series, they probably wouldn't go out of their way to conflict, and hell, might even give J'mpok a passing mention in some VO on the show..

jaime likes this.
  2. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The difference might be that being Chancellor is different than being a member of the High Council.

England/Britain had female heads of state for centuries before there was a female member of Parliament.

jaime and Groppler Zorn like this.
  3. Groppler Zorn

Groppler Zorn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting point - I’d guess that the role of chancellor relative to the high council wouldn’t be analogous to the role of head of state relative to the government though. The Klingon chancellor seems to have a more active role in government than, say, the queen does (where her role is largely ceremonial I suppose).

4. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That wasn't always the case.

Groppler Zorn likes this.
  5. Groppler Zorn

That’s true I guess. Elizabeth I would have had male lords, barons, etc. but no women (as far as I know anyway - I’m not well versed in the Elizabethan era outside of Blackadder at any rate...). So ultimately when Gowron says “women may not sit on the council” he may mean that literally - but that doesn’t mean that women may not *lead* the council.

DSC seems to show a high council where women are allowed to sit on it though - the house of MoKai representative seems to be that house’s leader (although I could be wrong) - if I’m thinking of the right Klingon it’s the lady who had the head jewellery on during the holo-conference with T’Kuvma.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean Dennas? She represented the House of D'Ghor, not Mo'Kai.

Side note: Claire McConnell (who played Dennas) is absolutely hilarious - I saw her onstage with Second City in Toronto this past spring. :techman:

7. Groppler Zorn

Oh my bad, thanks! That was who I meant!

Ooh I’ll have to try and find some footage on YouTube :)

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

But she is not sitting down...

Perhaps there has always been a rule about denying seats from the female members, quite literally?

Or one about them not being allowed to serve - raktajino and bloodwine, that is? A step up from the old days of real council members and their glorified secretaries...

Timo Saloniemi

9. Groppler Zorn

I never thought of that. Perhaps Gowron was being very literal - that entire civil war was brought about because the Duras sisters had the temerity to want somewhere to sit in council meetings while seated males droned on and on about honour and glory to the empire...

Although fair play to them for saying that women may not serve bloodwine or raktajino - presumably that task was either gender neutral in the empire or so menial that they had conquered races of the empire to do it. Maybe serving drinks was the job of the Nimoydians?

:klingon:

10. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

And to be fair, those heads of state had more de facto power than the head of parliament or members thereof would have had in those time periods. Elizabeth I in particular is de facto in charge, no two ways about it. Sure she has struggles, but not hugely different to those faced by the monarchs that followed her....monarchy was literally a cut throat business in those days. Usually starting at the back of the neck and working forwards. Ask Charles I.

11. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently it’s the intervention of Cryptic that saved the Prime universe from being totally wiped out on screen by Hobus. ‘Hang on, we just got this license for a game set in the universe, and your hotshot director wants it gone.’

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Memory-Alpha does say that, but it also says 'Citation Needed' next to it, so I dunno.