CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

A few weeks ago, I was generous (no, really!) at counting YouTube views for Prelude, members of the official Axa FB group, and KS and IGG supporters. Apart from the latter two, the numbers can and do climb. Hence I rounded up everything, and didn't discount any duplications (e. g. people who watched the short and donated to both crowdfunding campaigns). Plus the FB group automatically doubles because being in the FB group is a perk of having donated (unless you're a hater).

I still came up with only something like 2.3 M people. This was fewer folks than the views for the new 2017 series' teaser.

Tiny, tiny number there. It's kinda like your little toe controlling your entire body.

PS YouTube is up:

Thank you for your interest and support. :)

2. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

The main reason JJTrek is relevant in an Axanar discussion is the whole "true fans love Axanar and hate JJTrek" idea that the Axanar supporters and creators have pushed from the beginning. It's intentionally divisive and it supports the whole persecuted minority thing that entitled fanboy weenies like some of the Axanards thrive on.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Man, I love that site!

4. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

It was Paramount's idea to attempt to revive the franchise. That attempt was going to happen with or without JJ. I don't think the only pathway to reviving the franchise was to do it the way he did it. The example of, let's say, Christopher Nolan with Batman shows that you can go in a more serious direction and still appeal to audiences.

5. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree and it's a pretty simple and historically well used formula. Don't like the way things are? Vote for me because I'm the only person that can change it.

6. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

That is a very generous figure. You are too kind, jespah. It certainly doesn't take into consideration multiple donations, multiple views and sock puppets. For those numbers alone, Id probably take it down about a quarter. And even then I think it might be far too generous.

The point being you can suggest that something is what "true Trek fans" want all you want. But who gets to define a "true Trek fan?" Moreso, what is a "true Trek fan?"

jespah likes this.
  7. OtherGene

I think of myself as a true Trek Fan but I'm well aware others would disagree vehemently. I'm not trying to sound facetious it's just that my liking of Star Trek is what it is.

It is only a small but vocal minority that care about such things, though, isn't it?

8. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

It's the vocal part that matters. There are media sources who've reported that the fans hate the JJ movies, and that the fans are into fan films instead, and that Axanar fits the fan film mold. That's why the idea that CBS and Paramount are suing the fans gained so much traction that even Lin and Abrams fell for it.

ThankYouGeneR, Sgt_G and jespah like this.
  9. Campe

And that's just it. I don't care what you like. If you're a Star Trek fan, you're a Star Trek fan. I don't care if we disagree on every single episode what is good and what's not. At the end of the day, there are over 700 stories in the Trek universe. Are we going to agree? Hell no. But as long as we respect each other's opinions, isn't that all that matters?

True but as it was a huge selling point for many Axalites, despite what that number might be, I think it's quite relevant to the conversation at hand.

10. OtherGene

Oh, it really is as it was probably the biggest tool Axanar wielded. It's funny now because after the recent events they're trying very hard to stop people realising they've been holding the tool upside down all this time.

I was just really hoping a dumb argument about being a 'proper Trek fan' wasnt about to spill out on these pages. I agree with you and it applies to most interests. I follow Formula 1 and admitting you're a fan of any particular driver can open the gates of hell on some forums.

Lynsioux, RCAM and Campe like this.
  11. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Alec was the biggest tool. :D

12. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

In Kickstarter terms, it's nothing to write home about. I'm currently awaiting fulfillment on a winter coat that got over half a million donors. A bloody coat.

Campe likes this.
  13. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's the time limit people have on completing their fully funded projects? Is there one?

14. Campe

I was trying to stop it more than anything else. :) I hate the "one True fan" argument. I think it flies in the face of everything Star Trek represents.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  15. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

Based on his rate of progress and trinket-based fundraising strategy, Alec would've been really good at building a medieval cathedral.

Lynsioux and Pindar like this.
  16. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    I could see him wishing he was like Vincent Price's master builder in The Ten Commandments, including the... fringe benefits, shall we say?

RCAM likes this.
  17. OtherGene

It's also kind of dull, I think.

Han shot first though.....:shifty:

Campe likes this.
  18. Campe

Hehehe. My new take on that one is: Han shot. Greedo didn't.

19. trekyourself

trekyourself Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

20. Campe

@trekyourself , you did not start a civil war. This argument has been going on a lot longer than you've been here. You're just fine. Let's let it go, okay? :p

trekyourself likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.