CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't believe Peters actually tried to get the other fan film producers to support anything he's done after the way he's talked about them throughout this whole thing.

Pindar, Karzak, RCAM and 2 others like this.
  2. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

So many merchandising opportunities here.

3. CaptGrumpy

CaptGrumpy Captain Captain

What Indiegogo or Kickstarter do I have to donate to for that? I WANT one! :rofl:

Karzak, mos6507, Red Shirt and 3 others like this.
  4. jamestyler

you'll have to donate to my private donor store, then I'll send you the link and you can buy it. all proceeds go to my minimum wage salary. Might make a film too, but probably not.

......as a side note, I have ordered one and my wife will not be pleased with me spending money to amuse myself when it arrives :p

RCAM, Red Shirt and CaptGrumpy like this.
  5. CaptGrumpy

CaptGrumpy Captain Captain

Would that really be a "much more than" minimum wage and can I see your annual report before I donate? And will there be sushi? And a new floor?

jamestyler and Red Shirt like this.
  6. Red Shirt

Red Shirt Captain Captain

[​IMG]

:lol: :beer:

N-121973, Karzak and jamestyler like this.
  7. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Cross posting this from Facebook.

[​IMG]

8. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think a $5 million kinky starter should cover it.

jamestyler likes this.
  9. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

We'll have to wait over a year for it to ship though, right?

Neil

RCAM, Amaris, dmac and 2 others like this.
  10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Alec "fighting for the rights" of fan film producers is like Bernie Madoff stepping forward to volunteer to defend the image of securities traders.

As someone else has already pointed out: why does the guy who's collected over a million dollars and after years of self-promotion and Internet panhandling has managed to emit less than 25 minutes of some talking heads imagine that *anyone's* interested in his desire to "represent" people and productions who successfully produce many hours of popular entertainment - "Star Trek Continues," "Star Trek New Voyages" and "Starship Farragut," to mention three groups who've contributed vastly more to fan films than Alec Peters has.

Whatever he may imagine, the producers of other projects have now made immediately and unambiguously clear how much they care for his fantasy that he's a leader or "trailblazer" of some kind. wink emoticon

No one in authority at either CBS or Paramount has solicited Mein Producer's input on any guidelines they're considering laying out for fan productions. He has no one's ear, so he needn't make this extravagant pretense that anyone cares about what he proposes.

11. dmac

I was roasted over an open pit early on for suggesting Prelude was one of the worse productions I've ever seen $10,000 wasted on..... or was that $70,000 or $100,000.

RCAM and Indysolo like this.
  12. jamestyler

That'll be the bare bones. £22 an hour, I'll barely be able to buy sushi! I'll only manage a few crates a day!

You kidding? It'll take me that long to figure out how to use mail merge. By which point I'll have a mate make a labelling program. Pens are too expensive.

I'm actually fascinated by their very open responses. A lot have been politely quiet (which I kind of agree with - I don't bash my competition no mater how much they annoy me) so to see the mall open up now is.... enlightening. Not that I didn't doubt or already know their views - but if you don't believe in something or someone, it's refreshing to hear a production say it instead of being polite.

It looked good. I honestly think Prelude is 99% down to Tommy Kraft's work (and whatever direction was put into it, to be fair). Not to bash the actors or performances, but it was style over substance and Kraft deserves major credit for that.

Pindar, jespah, RCAM and 2 others like this.
  13. dmac

The reason I thought $10,000 was to much for Prelude was because it was a simple green screen and billed as a Fan Film. On a Fan Film, like minded people get together and add their skills to the production. Are there costs? Yes Paint, costumes, Camera, software, hardware, lunch. From what I've read Tommy was reimbursed $300 for his wonderful work (seems perfectly reasonable) They raised $101,000 and claimed back in 2014 that the cost of production was $70,000.
    This is NOT what a Fan Film is about, nearly anyone can raise $1.3 million and pay to have people piece together a project and apparently even this is on the verge of failure.
    Honestly this isn't bashing our fellow competition because in no way is this multi named Star Trek production company even close to a Fan Production.
    If I thought in any way this was an actual fan film you would hear my applause for what a bunch of fans got together and created.

Pindar, Sgt_G and jamestyler like this.
  14. jamestyler

Did Tommy Kraft get $300? I got the impression he was unpaid from his post - $300 is still REALLY low for the amount of work involved, just curious (for factual reasons etc).

Fair assessment on costs etc. Thats one of the issues I have - not just with Axanar to be completely fair. Peters' report highlighted that they didn't *need* that money, or to build sets etc - but they wanted it. To the same degree I can say the same for other productions expenses - there's a lot of stuff they don't need to tell the story.

I'm not suggesting anyone who spends what they don't have to as being scammers at all in the slightest. But $1.3 million is ambition, greed and project creep gone mad when there's bugger all to show for it and a statement saying "We could have used this set, but we deserve better"

dmac, Sgt_G, Red Shirt and 1 other person like this.
  15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Just for a sense of proportion: you could make 50 "The Tressaurian Intersecton"s for what Alec raised.

The thing about Alec is that everything he does is about Alec. He wants to the locus of fanfilms but can only manage to be a locust, chewing up everything.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  16. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

17. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, STC could have completed their entire planned series of 13 episodes AND have enough money left over to do 3 bonus episodes for what AP has brought in.

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yes but they wouldn't have a STUDIO or COFFEE or MODELS. PATCHES, did I mention the patches!

KennyB, Amaris, jespah and 3 others like this.
  19. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

No, those bridges are less than smoldering ashes by now. What you smell now is the rest of the fan-film world burning Axanar in effigy. Good word, that. It's like saying, "Effigy Him!" :devil:

Amaris and dmac like this.
  20. dmac

It's hard to put an exact finger on. I am not a Peter hater, I just feel he is confused over the term "Fan Film"
    I had a very short conversation with him several years ago during his 1st fund raiser in which I mildly questioned a few things but was told it was Okay because his Star Trek was non canon. I dropped it right there and didn't bother to respond figuring that someone greater than I would set him straight.
    When our production company needs something built, the Exec is out with a saw, hammer and nails while others are sewing, painting or whatever, It's a club of sorts and I wish I was a couple thousands of miles closer so I could help out more.
    What Alex created doesn't even resemble any of the Fan film studio production I follow and it's always bothered me any time I've seen fan films and Alex's created production company lumped into a single sentence. Now Friday comes along and Alex is going to speak on behalf of Fan Films. I'm sure this has bothered many true fan films because who ends up getting regulated for what he has done? I think even Abrams and Lin have referred to Axanar as a fan film. I can help but wonder who gave them that idea!
    I've always thought of it more along the lines of
    # Fan Film production:
    A Club of like minded fans that produce film content with resources that mostly come from within the club.
    # Fan Supported production
    An existing studio with fan base membership funding large enough to support the creation of additional episodes
    # Million dollar social funded start-up
    Send me more money baby! Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

Sgt_G likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.