CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthrise

Earthrise Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Your point is the reason why I'm really soured on crowdfunding platforms. The way the Terms of Service is worded, it makes me think that Indiegogo's defense would be, "the campaign owner represented to us that he had the license and we trust our campaign owners to be honest. With X number of new campaigns added to our site every day, it would be impractical to check each individually."

Essentially they are billing themselves as merely being the infrastructure for projects to meet donors, but they aren't taking responsibility for anything that happens there. They say it's the donor's responsibility to check the projects. It's the project's responsibility to be honest with donors and fulfill their obligations. What's the platform's responsibility if one side or the other has a problem? Sit back and collect their check.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yep, unless it's an ongoing campaign, Kickstarter will take your money when the campaign is over and if the goal is met. (Though, there are some flex campaigns on Kickstarter that will take the money once the campaign is over regardless of goals being met.)

3. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

Maybe it's a semi-automated system like Youtube. Does each campaign get looked at in detail? Perhaps they are relying on their TOS as a catch all?

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I would imagine it has to be somewhat automated. But, still, when a lawsuit happens...

I guess, really, their TOS haven't been tested in the courts... as far as I know... Has there been another copyright lawsuit where the funds came from a crowdfunding source?

5. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

Don't know about the general case, but it's been said that they actively pursued the Axanar campaign, and if true, they have to be aware of the issues (either that or they're the bigger idiots :p).

Since Tom has outright stated that IndieGoGo approached Renegades, I have little doubt that they pursued Axanar.

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It gets looked at by people that work there, As i mentioned before Indiegogo aggressively goes after you if they think your using Kickstarter. Also, Alec mentioned he negotiated for a better rate with Indiegogo, He had been communicating with someone there.

When we had campaigns at both KS and Indie we had a person that we dealt with at each place to help us get everything set.

7. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

It just gets better, guys.

Alec Peters is going to sue Don Hillenbrand.

8. SuperSpaceMan

SuperSpaceMan Captain Captain

I think this is old...

9. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

It is.

10. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I don't see any date on the webpage... but now that I think of it, I believe this guy did post a story like this a few years ago. My mistake.

Still, it just goes to show -- Alec simply cannot handle any kind of negative or contrary opinions, to the extreme degree. First this guy, then Vic Mignogna...

11. SuperSpaceMan

Alec has a reputation of being litigious... That's absolutely for sure. I talked to someone who met Vic last year at STLV, and as the conversation was going through fan films, Vic refused to even talk about anything Axanar, or Alec Peters. That's why I know that stuff that came up last year was just bluster by Alec....

12. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

How about this far more incendiary post?

How much of this is true and how much of it is a pissing contest between the two, I have no idea. There's some seriously bad blood between those two. I do recall hearing something about him suing Hillenbrand, though, so I'm reasonably sure it's old hat. ;)

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, "Dhan" seems to have his issues too.

I'm wondering though - can anyone come up with an instance in which someone actually suffered as a result of Alec's threats of legal action? I mean, is there any record of his ever having followed through at all, or is this one more example of his empty strutting?

14. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Im sure he will sue all of us at somepoint to. :p :devil:

15. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

"I see that you are not a donor."

That kind of gave me douchebumps.

16. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Nicely done Sir!!! Gonna be hard to beat that today!:guffaw:

17. SuperSpaceMan

Maybe one of our legal eagles with PACER access could search for him as a plaintiff?

18. Red Shirt

Red Shirt Captain Captain

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

19. oswriter

oswriter Captain Captain

In the Propworx bankruptcy petition, there is a reference to what I believe was a defamation case filed (and ultimately) dismissed in California.

20. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting you should ask that, Dennis.

There are 3 lawsuits listed on the Los Angeles docket for an Alec Peters. I cannot confirm the veracity as to whether they are actually THIS Alec Peters. One interesting point? He is a Defendant in all of the cases.

Two cases from 1995 -- one being a breach of contract, the second being a Commercial Compliance case. The commercial compliance matter was placed off the calendar in January 1997. No indications why. The Breach of Contract case, it appears there was a Default Judgment. The 2003 matter is just a renewal of that judgment.

EDIT: I also did a search on PacerMonitor for Federal matters. There are 5724 results on a search of "Alec Peters." I'm not digging through all of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.