CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Superb fanfilm. I loved it, my kids loved it, doesn't take itself too seriously and doesn't ask anyone for over a million dollars for miscellaneous expenses.

KennyB and BillJ like this.
  2. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

What a concept.

Note the following:
    • No sets (hence, no need for a studio or anything truly heavy beyond one or two cameras and some lights, period).
    • Special effects are minimal. The guy was on strings or in front of a green screen, mainly, or possibly some shots were sped up. Shadows and terrain hid the seams well.
    • No intro! You get right into the action immediately. Of course, the characters are known. If they were not, then some back story would have been necessary.
    • Sound was exceptionally important, as were voices. Woody had to have a twang, and Vader had to have the deep voice (with one exception). Can't recall if Buzz even spoke. Possibly some of that was done (at least the Vader voice) in post, in front of a computer.
    • Costumes and props were also vital, although Woody's could have easily been purchased in a thrift shop, or could have been the actor's own clothing. Clothing under the Vader cloak was probably the actor's own stuff. Main issues there involved the mask, front piece, and some striping on the shoulders which could have been duct tape. Buzz's costume was the most expensive and required the most verisimilitude.
    • Lighting was really important, as it hid a multitude of sins. The silhouetted ending was even more clever, giving it a 'riding off into the sunset' feel - very cowboy - and also made it so the colors of Woody's clothing did not have to match the originals.
    • Editing also mattered. Quick camera cuts, and no lingering! It's possible the whole thing was done with one camera and multiple takes (experts, feel free to correct me, of course).
    My only (tiny) quibble was the homemade credits. With an embedded video, links in the YouTube notes don't show up. It's better to put them into the end of the video. I would also keep written credits so the spellings are correct for searches. Credits could be done with one or two cards in a mini slide show at the end. No problem with keeping the narrator, but I would have liked to have seen the links (when you are delivering links to an audience, make them easy to find!).

And the whole thing took less than 4 1/2 minutes. Even with one or two slides showing credits, this could be done in less than 5 minutes, and maybe even less than 4 1/2.

3. muCephi

muCephi Commodore Commodore

Not to mention that it pretty much sums up the court case, as seen from both perspectives. :guffaw:

wtriker1701, Jedman67 and jespah like this.
  4. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

That's awesome!

5. RedForman

RedForman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On a totally unrelated note, I watched an old "Unsolved Mysteries" rerun today. Considering the way things have unfolded, LFIM makes "Liz Carmichael" look like an absolute genius

(see this link.....and this one......)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And there was me thinking that we British had hit the heights of three-wheeled car technology!

[​IMG]

KennyB and RedForman like this.
  7. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nerdcast Special Report - The Star Trek: Axanar Settlement & Interview with Alec Peters:

[​IMG]

http://computertalkradio.com/nerdcast/?name=ctr_nerdcast_axanar_settlement.mp3

Alec has said that he may play Garth again if they decide to do the Axanar movie in a documentary style like prelude. He also said that “J.G. Hertzler is dying to get back into it”, however he is not sure “if the script will call for Gary Graham”. He also lamented that he can no longer get Doug Jones to play the Andorian Admiral.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was already confident Mr. Hertzler would. He's not been reticent at all about his position on the litigation.
    I currently think this is spin. (see: T. Todd, C. Gossett, T. McIntosh, the Settlement spins) I currently believe Mr. Graham has chosen to not be in it and it is being spun that 'the script may not call for the character'. I'm calling bs.

Wait... what? Documentary style? Terrific! I 'wanted' the movie to be the prelude documentary style. I was terribly disappointed to learn it would 'not' be documentary style. I doubted I would even be interested in the movie after I found it was just a war movie after all. (yeah, okay, I know, I hadn't been paying attention until the lawsuit was brought or I'd have known this 'before' I donated the last time. :) )

I'm currently calling it that the film 'will' be documentary style. I don't mean because it's my choice, I mean because I think the defendant saying it might be the forerunner to the announcement that it 'will' be.

Huh. Now that I'm thinking about it I'm 'calling' this too:
    Yep. It is my considered current opinion that the defendant as Garth is a sure bet. I'm calling it that this will be spun as 'Back by popular demand' rather than no reasonable replacement actor can be afforded now and/or will accept the part. And since the defendant really want(ed/s) to be Garth anyway I see this as the perfect rationalization to smoothly move himself back into it. I mean were I the defendant with these new circumstances that's what I would do too. I hope I wouldn't choose to tout 'back by popular demand' to spin the no money/no actor part.. but I would still move myself back into the role.

wtriker1701 and jespah like this.
  9. Philip Guyott

Indeed, he also did not mention whether Kate Vernon would be in it although he did confirm that her character (Sonya) will be.

Personally I think CBS should have told them that Axanar can be made but only if Alec Peters plays every role himself.

mos6507 and Admiral Cain like this.
  10. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Well, Games Workshop has made the guidelines for Warhammer fanfilms pretty clear 8 or 9 years ago. They are pretty simple.

wtriker1701, Mordock and Admiral Cain like this.
  11. muCephi

What, play a hero recounting his brilliant leadership, saving of the citizens' livelihoods, and crushing defeat of those who dared challenge the true center of the ethical righteous universe?

Actor-writer-director can be so sock puppet convenient sometimes.

...aaaaaand this is gonna be SOOO MST3K'd/Whats Up Tiger Lilly'd

Finally, something to truly look forward to out of this mess... a YouTube channel filled with overdubbed-with-podcast/mistied-with-court-quotes videos, rounding out a miniseries of mein Producer shorts. It will play at conventions.

Mordock, Jedman67 and Admiral Cain like this.
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tagline: Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

muCephi likes this.
  13. muCephi

But far more likely: Reprising trickery that the laws made mincemeat.

14. OtherGene

Won't take much spin. The Axanar supporters will thoroughly enjoy watching him.

KennyB likes this.
  15. Admiral Cain

Admiral Cain Commander Red Shirt

This thang ain't never gonna happen. No money in it!

16. RedForman

RedForman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think even more telling than LFIM's actions with Axanar itself are these kind of actions outside the realm of the short film etc. Seriously, you can't muzzle your sock puppets for one minute?? These idiots can finally make their movie or whatever and should quit this sideshow BS & get it done or STFU!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. OtherGene

The guidelines "will be eased up on soon enough"?

Will they? That's news.

137th Gebirg and Jedman67 like this.
  18. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Funny, I saw Peters explaining on the Indigogo page how they only raised 1/3 of the funds they needed to complete the film........seriously?

19. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are these people real?

20. Philip Guyott

Yes, and elsewhere he's also saying that the 1/3 raised has gone to the cost of renting the studio over the last year, so they don't have any money left.
    Is this real life?

I like the guys at Trekyards, but seriously, wow. :brickwall:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.