CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by jespah, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

79 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. Yes, savory, please

42 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Yes, any kind

77 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

36 vote(s)
    19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I realize most of the people probably aren't giving a ton of money, but to me giving any amount of money to something like this when things in general are so unstable just seems like a bad idea. I guess if you've got the extra money, and a guaranteed continuing income, it might not be to big of a deal, but I still think with so many businesses still shutting down as the pandemic is going on, it would be best for everybody to be extra cautious when it comes to stuff like this where there's no guarantee about where your money is really going to end up.

2. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

These may not be the most financially savvy folks. I remember seeing several Axanar donors posting Go Fund Me links for things like being evicted, broken down automobiles, Etc.........I know lots of people are one paycheck away from trouble, but seems like a LOT of the faithful should be making a nest egg instead of giving it away. Not my place to tell them just makes LFIM seem that much more of an ass to prey on folks like that. Just my thoughts YMMV.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, definitely sounds like at least a few of those people aren't very good with their money.

RedForman and KennyB like this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

True believers know that "real" Trek is more important than a roof over their head. :shifty:

feek61 and KennyB like this.
  5. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Agreed, but I can't hit like on that.

Damn, I really, really hope no one loses their home or goes hungry because of this neverending mishigas.

BillJ, lurok, KennyB and 1 other person like this.
  6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hope no one here loses any sleep worrying about the donors. It's just not worth it. :shrug:

RedForman, KennyB and dmac like this.
  7. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Before the lawsuit, it often seemed like Peters was more interested in hawking Axanar junk than making the movie.

I think he's become emboldened by being able to continually fundraise for the movie, which I don't think CBS is particularly worried about, however, starting to sell off brand Trek merchandise will annoy actual licensors and more likely draw another lawsuit.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Which is what sounds like is about to happen. CBS may not care themselves, but vendor companies pay a lot of coin for their official license, like the pins for example, which is what this latest thing is about. They expect their investment to be protected, and is probably a stipulation in their contract. If CBS doesn’t enforce it, they may be in violation of their contract, opening them up to litigation, which they won’t allow. They need those 3rd party vendors to bring in property revenue.

RedForman, drt, KennyB and 1 other person like this.
  9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep - it's one of the reasons CBS sued in the first place. If they take no action here, CBS is really setting itself up for licensing trouble of its own for future licenses. No one with want to pay big bucks for a merchandise license when the IP holder knowingly lets counterfeiters of Star Trek merchandise go. That said, CBS won't just quick file - they'll prepare their case, THEN file. (And who knows if this pin merchandise suddenly disappears from the Axanar 'store' we'll know Peters responded to a C&D.)

[Also, believe it or not, UNLESS he uses the pins in any fan production he ever makes, no this ISN'T a violation of the Axanar fan film settlement - UNLESS it also included a direct clause about Axanar related merchandise. That said, yeah, CBS would have ZERO qualms about filing a lawsuit directly related to this.]

RedForman, BillJ and 137th Gebirg like this.
  10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it's been answered already, and the question may well have even been rhetorical, but: It really serves as a demonstration that the goal isn't to actually make a fan film, doesn't it?

11. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I imagine it is also a case of trying to keep it going as long as possible. As mentioned before, what does he do after the film is released?

Shaka Zulu, dmac and Admiral2 like this.
  12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're talking about something that will never happen.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now, I'm not a con man so maybe my take on this will go against the Con Man's bible or whatever. But, I would imagine that if Axanar was successfully produced then people would give Peter's even more money to keep on producing. Right?

dmac and RedForman like this.
  14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

IIRC, stipulations of the post-lawsuit “guidelines” limit his efforts to two 15-minute productions, or something like that, and that’s it. Others may know more specifically what the exact wording is, I’m sure. Either way, there is a limited shelf-life to this, so it does make some sense that he would try to drag this out as long as possible.

Shaka Zulu, RedForman, KennyB and 2 others like this.
  15. Csalem

Yeah the guidelines say maximum of two 15 mins and no ongoing series / episodes. So in theory after these two are released he can do no more Axanar.

16. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I'm not at all clear on the what the first guideline prohibits. For example, I would guess that a film on the same class ship in the same time period with a supposedly different crew (but with the same actors, playing different characters) would avoid this restriction. Just need to make it clear that it doesn't continue a story from a previous fan film.

jackoverfull likes this.
  17. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

None of this matters, 'cause AP ain't really making a movie. Not so's you'd notice, anyway.

One thing's for sure: that warehouse ain't paying for itself. :techman:

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. Then Peters can get on making a couple of different installments around the Ares.

No problem whatsoever.

19. Csalem

20. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

BillJ, Shaka Zulu and RedForman like this.