CBS AA planning a direct Discovery spinoff?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Red Panda, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Making a Pike series would make sense, they've already built the sets for the Enterprise. It would be shame to waste them.

2. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

That would be great! If the actors cast so far for Pike and Number One are believable, and whoever it is they cast as Spock is as well, I for sure would be a CBSAA subscriber for that.

Gonzo and Awesome Possum like this.
  3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd put that in the "too good to be true" category.

But I also said Patrick Stewart would never return to Star Trek when those little rumors first started circulating. And I also believed FOR CERTAIN that Lorca was not from the MU...

So there is all that...

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It wasn't even a political post other than involving a picture of Trump. For good or ill, "Fake News" has entered the lexicon and the meme was just being used in this case to literally say that he didn't believe the news you posted said what you think it does. He may be wrong, but he's allowed to express his opinion on the topic.

TrickyDickie, ITDUDE and Gonzo like this.
  5. Spider

I don't trust the current folks in charge to bring me such a dream series as recasting the crew from The Cage and just go have space adventures in a cool looking Connie. It is to good to be true, but the situation is at least there for it to happen.

6. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think a Pike series is a serious option for CBS, but the question is: how different will that show be from Discovery? Another ship in the same era may not be the best option.

7. Awesome Possum

CW has multiple DC shows set in the same universe (more or less) and manage to make it work. Just have Discovery doing it's own thing and the Enterprise is doing it's own thing.

A Discovery and Pike series would have the extra benefit of allowing easier crossovers.

It could be interesting to focus the entire show on Pike. The Cage had him as a sort of worldweary captain, I'd like to see that explored more. The whole thing could be a character study.

JoeP, Spider, Vger23 and 2 others like this.
  8. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

You should lynch every last one of those untrustworthy mf'ers man!!!

And then we can put Nick Meyer and Ronald D. Moore in charge and squeeeee ourselves to sleep every night. It would be epic.

JoeP likes this.
  9. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or Number One with Pike as an occasional guest star.

10. Red Panda

Red Panda Commander Red Shirt

They're all very different though. Arrow is serious street crime drama. The Flash is family friendly action comedy. Supergirl is fantasy romcom-ish social commentary and set in a different dimension. Legends is stupid and funny.

11. the Sisko

the Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I think I've said this before: I would love to see an animated Star Trek Shenzou spinoff. They could even do mixed live action/animated (where burnham and Saru and the rest of the former shenzou crew start off on discovery over dinner/cards sharing their stories, with each characters giving further details (a la the move "Hero")

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  12. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Can't see that happening to be honest, it does depend on who ends up being the permanent Captain of the Discovery though.

13. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I've thought that was a backdoor pilot since Enterprise showed up in the finale...…..

JoeP likes this.
  14. Spider

Captain of the Discovery will be Number One's first promotion to Captain whereupon she will transfer off the ship all those crew members I don't like and only keep the one's I do like. :D

15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, all signs currently point to Pike on the Enterprise. I just would rather not have yet another 'enterprise' series, not to mention yet another middle aged white male captain, when there are still so many other untouched possibilities. Plus, I like Rebbeca Romijn. I've yet to be convinced about this Anson Mount guy.

16. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I doubt Rebecca Romjin would want a long term spot in Discover or a spin off.

Same goes for Anson Mount, we just don't know how much they have signed up for.

We will probably see Lorca again sooner or later.

17. Awesome Possum

The shows can have different tones. It's really something that Star Trek should try to do or it will die like it did in the 90s/00s.

cultcross and CorporalCaptain like this.
  18. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You don't think DS9 and VOY had different tones?

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen this claim in a few places - there is obviously a CGI Enterprise but beyond a few corridors that can be redressed from the Discovery set - what sets have they built for Enterprise?

20. Awesome Possum

Not really.
    I haven't seen the new season or been on the set, so I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.