Cats Movie Starring Dame Judi Dench, Sir Ian McKellan, Jennifer Hudson, Idris Elba, Taylor Swift

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 18, 2019.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

As per both ALW and Taylor, the song was written for Francesca Hayward to sing in the film, with Taylor doing the radio/pop version.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that is definitely not a name I would associate with this kind of thing.
    He's listed on Wikipedia too.
    Les Twins are also in it as Plato and Socrates according to Wikipeida. I first saw them on World of Dance, and they are two of the best hip hop dancers I have ever seen. The way they move doesn't is just incredible.

gblews likes this.
  3. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My problem with the design isn't any kind of uncanny valley thing, it's that they feel weirdly like naked people, and not people in costume, but then they are all furry and anatomically incorrect, so it just feels completely wrong somehow.

4. DigificWriter

The actors look like humanoid cats, which is exactly what they're supposed to look like (as opposed to humans wearing cat costumes, which could've looked cheesy in a filmic environment).

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That doesn't make it any less creepy.

crookeddy likes this.
  6. crookeddy

All you said is that they look as designed, and I pretty much said the design itself is a little creepy.

7. DigificWriter

I disagree.

8. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the Best Original Song category at the Oscars this year is going to be a competition between her and Idina Menzel. And while "Into the Unknown" is a good song, it's no "Let It Go", so I have a good feeling about Taylor's chances. :)

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess they wanted to were trying to come up with something similar to the look from the stage show, but whether that worked or not is pretty clearly up for debate.
    Personally, if it were me I would have gone with something more along the lines of Puss in Boots from the Shrek movies, but I'm not as bothered by the movie's designs as a lot of people seem to be.

10. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did say If I recall correctly. I obviously didn't.

Got his start as the hard-nosed Will Scarlet in Richard Carpenter's Robin of Sherwood. I guess he has a type.

Alan Roi likes this.
  11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't get the whole 'they look creepy' thing. Now, from what I have seen, the original cat costumes from the stage production look pretty creepy. The movie cats, to me, look as natural as "humanoid cats" can look.

12. DigificWriter

^ Having seen the stage costumes personally, I cannot understand the 'creepy' thing and think people made it up - and piled on - in regards to the film looks "just because".

13. crookeddy

I would normally agree with that, but not this time.

14. DigificWriter

As I noted, I have personally seen the stage costumes in motion and in still photograph, and I can therefore state with full authoritative confidence that there is absolutely nothing 'creepy' about them.

15. crookeddy

Ok, thanks for absolutely telling me how to feel.

16. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

C-3PO: Oh, he excels at that, sir.

crookeddy likes this.
  17. DigificWriter

You can feel however you want; what you feel doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on the Cats stage costumes not actually being 'creepy'.

18. crookeddy

Are you joking?

I find them creepy. That makes them creepy to me. That's how that word works.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Creepy is kind of a subjective thing, so I don't really think you can state definitely if something is or is not creepy. Just because you don't find something creepy, doesn't mean other people won't.

crookeddy likes this.
  20. CuriousCaitian

CuriousCaitian Commander Red Shirt

The impression I'm getting is that, for a substantial number of people, crossing human with something other is an automatically troubling concept/visual, especially if that something is an animal - it falls under the broad, subjective umbrella of the 'uncanny valley'. The Cats movie seems to have hit that particular nerve particularly hard, and in our reactive, feedback-loop world of medias social and mass, those reactions are inevitably magnified.

That the stage costumes could generate a similar response in some is perfectly understandable.