Casting announced for Stargate Origins

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Romulan_spy, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm still not finding myself all that interested in this.

2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I notice the notebook with the symbols identifies them as constellations. I suppose that fits, since Danial's big breakthrough was figuring out that the little pyramid was part of the sequence and not just ornamentation, and you could say they were just making sure Daniel wasn't a crank by not telling him any of what they'd already figured out (aside from their bad translation job on the chalkboard) but, still.

I'll probably still watch it, but at this point, I'm fully expecting to forget it ever happened a la the Dead Like Me movie.

bigdaddy likes this.
  3. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems like a pretty huge retcon to me.

4. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Good to see Connor Trinneer again.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Connor Trinneer?

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he's playing Catherine's dad.

7. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

No.

No.

NO.

If we get a future series or mini series where we find out Goddamn Space Nazi's took over galaxies and are heading to Earth, I'm gonna balfe all over the place.

8. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Yeah! The goddamn Space Nazis should stick to TOS, VOY and ENT where they belong!

137th Gebirg and Grendelsbayne like this.
  9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I didn't recognize him without the drawl, or with a moustache and glasses.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

This looks like hot garbage.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Wow that looks bad and like a HUGE retcon of canon and hey only Star Trek can have Space Nazi's :D

Unless reviews state it's any good, I won't be watching.

Romulan_spy likes this.
  12. Christopher

Well, SG-1 itself made some pretty major changes to prior canon -- the whole nature of the parasitical aliens, the spelling of O'Neill's name and the name of his son, the location of the SGC, the nationality of Catherine Langford, etc. If this is just a retcon, that might be good, because "retcon" is supposed to mean a new revelation that retroactively fits into prior continuity rather than conflicting with it. For instance, revealing that Spock has had a sibling (or two) that he never told anyone about, or that the Doctor came to Totters Lane in 1963 to hide a powerful artifact rather than just to put his granddaughter in school, or that the Death Star plans were stolen by its designer's daughter.

Then again, trying to keep it consistent with prior continuity could be too limiting. So far, it doesn't seem like all that interesting a story, since it looks like it's just a "keep the powerful unearthly Macguffin out of Nazi hands" story, and we've seen things like that a bunch of times. I guess that filling in an untold story in the Stargate's post-rediscovery history could be an entertaining sidebar, but it seems an unambitious basis for a revival after seven years.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope. Looks like crap. Maybe they will just explain this away like they the fact they actually got the Stargate to work in 1954 and her husband / boyfriend was on a random planet for 40 years by himself.

I'm really sick of prequels anyways. So I'll just ignore it. Was never going to pay to watch it anyways.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've released a new trailer.
    Looks like it could be interesting, but not enough to get me to sign up for the streaming service. I might rent it from Netflix when it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray, but that's probably as far as I'd go for it.
    I'm wondering if maybe the Abydonians come through to Earth. That could be a good way to have Gate travel, and non-Earth characters, but still not go against the pre-established history.

15. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Getting more bored about it the more I see.

And now I find a non-Stargte composer is apparently scoring this:

Aaron Fullan.

16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The more I see of that 'gate prop, the less I like it. Giving it that plain finish just makes it look plasticy. I guess they're trying to make it seem more anachronistically technological compared to the other artifacts, but the movie and TV versions looked more like aged stone that had been sitting around (or buried) for uncounted thousands of years.

The kawoosh looks suspiciously good compared to pretty much everything else. I wonder if they have access to the old water-tank photography from the shows, or maybe even from the movie.

17. Christopher

Most of the trailer seems consistent with that, but there's a shot where the leads are staring around in wonder at a bare desert, whereas the other desert scenes apparently in Egypt are more full of people and stuff around the dig site. It certainly suggests they're on Abydos, although that seems hard to reconcile.

18. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has Shatner auditioned yet?

19. O_Kav

O_Kav Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It doesn't look good in comparison to other Stargate Series. It looks pretty good for a Web Series, though. It's not like this 10-minutes Webisode format ever produced anything groundbreaking before. It's a very limited medium.

I'm not very concerned about this retconning canon either. Stargate Origins can't possibly contradict SG-1 more than the original Movie ever did. Abydos being in another Galaxy, the Asgard-esque previous Ra host... Stargate never was a shining example of decent continuity in the first place.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like a really high budget Stargate fan film.

I really wish we got the Big Dumb Blockbuster Reboot instead.