Casting announced for Stargate Origins

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Romulan_spy, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I wonder who plays Ernest Littlefield.

Also very curious how they will have offworld exploration when it was supposed to have been activated only once in the 40s and once in 1969 prior to the movie.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Do we know if this series is even in continuity with SG-1/SGA/SGU?

4. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not sure he needs to be in it since it probably takes place long before Catherine and he met.

Maybe there won't be any off world travel and Origins will simply tell the story of how Paul Langford discovered the gate in Giza?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  5. JirinPanthosa

Possibly there won't be any offworld travel but in that case I wonder how they intend to entertain the bulk of the scifi audience. :)

True we don't know if it's in continuity with the TV shows or just the movie, but if it's not in continuity with the TV shows there's a lot less emotional investment.

If they do decide to make it not in continuity I hope they just kick off offworld travel in the 30s. I could get into that, but I don't know if I could get into a series that is not in continuity and also does not have any offworld travel. Then it's just, hey, here's an alien transportation device, let's study it and hypothesize what it might do. :)

If you want to tell a period piece about women's scientific accomplishments being not taken seriously in the 30s, they can make a miniseries about Marie Curie or one of the many real life examples. If your show involves a giant alien transportation device, it's silly not to go through it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's being treated by the studio as a prequel to SG-1, so yes.

7. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Predicted circumnavigation of established facts: they'll use the gate and get tangled up in an adventure in the future (involving one or more SG1 characters), and be told to preserve the timeline by not talking about it.

8. JirinPanthosa

That would also work, except it would raise potentially uncomfortable Enterprise parallels. And happen to follow a Stargate spinoff that was a Voyager parallel.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a prequel to the Roland Emmerich movie?

Also the episodes are 10 minutes long. How do you have an adventure in 10 minutes? These will probably feel more like a "mini-episode" leading up to an hour long episode like Doctor Who

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I forgot this was happening. And coincidentally, about a week or so ago I was reminiscing about Treks gone by, and randomly began wondering what Connor Trinneer was up to these days.
    Paul McGillion, of course. We'll just ignore the fact he's aged twenty years. Or hell, may we can just randomly have a scene of Ernest twenty years into his exile where he's had an argument with imaginary Catherine and is venting to Wilson about it.
    A more apt comparison, IMO, would be BSG's Blood and Chrome, a two hour-ish story that gets chopped up into five to ten minute minisodes.

11. Christopher

Wow, I hope this is better than that was. Although I don't have much interest in a Catherine Langford prequel anyway.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this is gonna suck balls. It's such a shame the big budget reboot movie never happened.

13. Christopher

The big-budget reboot was from Devlin and Emmerich, which means it probably would've been stupid as hell -- or just remarkably boring and a waste of potential, like the original Stargate movie.

I found a GateWorld article about the show, and it does say "Origins will respect 17 seasons of established Stargate canon." And it's basically a 100-minute movie in 10 parts. https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/09/stargate-origins-decoded/

14. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

They'll use the gate, but they need to torture a giant Tardigrade to dial other gates. Later they'll just decide it's not worth it and never mention it ever again.

Too soon?

15. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too late. That should have been dropped at the first production meeting.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/11/co...gins-returning-to-franchise-as-new-character/

"Star Trek: Enterprise alum Connor Trinneer is set to return to Stargate in the new digital series, Stargate Origins. Today MGM announced the the full cast for the series, including Trinneer. Origins is a prequel to Stargate SG-1 and the first entry in the franchise since Stargate Universe ended six years ago."

Markonian likes this.
  17. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

10 10 minute episodes? They may have as well just released it as a TV movie.

Not sure what that means. Is it another streaming service, or are we supposed to download and watch?

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just looking around on the site, and it also has the movies and the series, so it's not just Origins. For a one time $20 fee, that's not that bad, it's at least several hundred dollars of worth of content if you were to buy it somewhere.
    I'm still not quite sure what to make of this, we've been lucky with the other Star franchises' returns, and I'm hoping we will be with the third now.
    I can't see how they can do this and not include off world travel, it'll probably just end up being a secret mission or something that they don't talk about afterwards.

Markonian likes this.
  20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member