Case dismissed! Discovery and Tardigrade game "not similar"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by PicardSpeedo, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And if it is? That doesn't seem likely to change people's minds.

Also, as demonstrated in this thread, and conceded my many defenders, it was a coincidence, not CBS stealing. Him coming up with the idea first means little if CBS didn't steal it from him. The timelines as presented are not lining up. So, what evidence do we think will occur to demonstrate otherwise?

Also, if presumption of innocence is so important then why side with Abdin?

2. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't speak for others but I've already conceded he most likely will not be able to get what he's asking for. There seems to be a lag in news given the deadlines the judge gave to both Abdin and CBS. It doesn't bode well for Abdin. If he doesn't prevail it would not surprise me.

Let me ask you the same question. If he does prevail how would you react?

3. fireproof78

Glad that the truth came out and bore out under scrutiny.

BeatleJWOL and serabine like this.
  4. Refuge

Good for you, I mean that :)

5. fireproof78

Thank you. :beer:

this is why the presumption of innocence is so dangerous. It means the possibility of being wrong but its a possibility of being wrong and I accept that. But, the presumption of innocence is too important to give up for me.

BeatleJWOL and Refuge like this.
  6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

If Abdin had a legitimate claim proven in court I'd be happy for him. Who wouldn't be? No one is opposed to him because they believe he has a legitimate claim and that takes something away from Discovery as a result. They oppose him because they've seen no evidence that his claims are legitimate. The claims made against James Cameron over The Terminator don't diminish my enjoyment of that film at all, and I want everyone to be compensated for their intellectual property as they deserve to be. If Abdin wins it wouldn't take Discovery off the air like his over-the-top demands require. It would still be a viable show, they would just owe him some money, which I would be fine with if he earned it.

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

FYI~ Plaintiff and defendants have had a fair hearing. Both parties were given the opportunity to present evidence and arguments as to why the case should or should not be allowed to go forward.

We now await the judge's decision on the Motion. In the unlikely event that the case is allowed to proceed, there will then be additional opportunities for fair hearings for both parties.

Finally, you really should not be defensive about people in this thread knowing more than you about the law, civil procedure, and this particular case. Some of that is simply because people have taken the time to read the Axamonitor web page on this case. Some people have worked or work in the legal field. But regardless, the Axamonitor pages are available to all. There are several links in this thread.

8. Refuge

Personally if I were Abdin I would want a chunk of change BUT I would be coveting the 'byline' Created by Gene... I mean 'Created by Anas Abdin' - Sweet!

9. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of us feel the way @Locutus of Bored suggests. We’re totally willing to entertain the idea that he might have a case but he and his attorney needs to do the work. But like LoB suggests, we haven’t seen anything worthwhile that suggests that he has a legitimate claim. But if he can produce the evidence, he’ll more than likely get a settlement or less likely his day in court.

If he wins that, more frikkin power to the guy!

10. Campe

That’s not even remotely a possibility. He might get an after-the-fact story credit on the Tardigrade episodes, a creative consultant or elements based on an idea by Anas Abdin. But created by? He didn’t create the characters or the situation they’re in. So that’s romantic, wishful thinking.

BeatleJWOL and seigezunt like this.
  11. Refuge

Some are, this is true.

12. Refuge

I must use emoticons more, it was a bit of a joke.

13. Campe

They can be helpful. ;) Plus, I’ve had a long day of work, school, in-laws and a 16-day old. I’m admittedly a little short on my comedy meter. ;)

14. Refuge

No worries, my wit is a little Australian ;)

15. fireproof78

Precisely so. But, the evidence has not leaned that way.

But, if he wins, awesome!

Campe likes this.
  16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Nothing...
    I just check daily to see if the Judge has ruled yet and then post my finding here.
    I'm usually bored when I do it.
    ;)

17. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sidenote: While I agree with your larger point, this one is actually a bad example, since there are plenty of allegations running around, since the writers of "Deep Impact" had a meeting with Disney where they talked about their movie, which then, afterwards, immediately rushed Armageddon into production. "Giant asteroid hitting New York" is of course not specific enough for a copyright case, but it's one the more famous examples used for screenwriters to never, ever talk about specifics in your script when you're not actively presenting it officially with a paper trail. Especially not if Disney is around. Lots of "similar development" movies actually have that type of story - suspiciously many even directly involving Disney.

18. Campe

^ Hmmm... I did not know that.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do not vouch for it, but here's an article about Deep Impact vs Armageddon, for anyone curious about delving deeper:

https://www.moviefone.com/2018/05/08/summer-movies-armageddon-deep-impact/

According to that, Deep Impact was the ultimate result of almost two decades of attempting to develop an update of When Worlds Collide under the influence of The Hammer of God, and so itself hardly represented a novel idea. It recounts the events that @Rahul described too, but there are potentially multiple layers there making it not nearly that simple.

serabine and Rahul like this.
  20. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I swear I need to start laminating Old Fan Cred cards for when people start invoking years of watching a TV show as proof of anything.

*whips it out*

[​IMG]

I've been a fan since 1973 and have been enjoying DSC more than the first two seasons of any Trek that's been made since TAS.

And that has little to do with my estimation of this case. Indeed, I think you will find people in this forum who are definitely not DSC fans who agree that Abdin's case is shaky at best.

BeatleJWOL, XCV330, cultcross and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.