"Carrier" on PBS

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by CorporalClegg, May 1, 2008.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    I don't know what's to lose.

Yeah it sucks to have your heartbroken, but the chick just wasn't worth it.

2. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

This show was a big huge nostalgia blast. I served on the USS Nimitz from 1995 to 1999.

3. CorporalClegg

Whadja do?

4. Mr Nighttime

Mr Nighttime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I had no idea what that life was like..my cousin served on the Enterprise...fire crew on the flight deck...I sure couldnt handle life like that.

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Reactor Department. Nuke electrician.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

7. Malcom

Malcom Vice Admiral Admiral

In most cities, teeenagers talk about the "gorey drivers license movie," in Norfolk it's the "carrier deck safety movie" people talk about.

Can anyone link to that clip of the guy getting sucked into the jet engine, and surviving?

YES that fellow should get a DNA test for that baby.

I would like to have seen an interview with the CMC's wife.

8. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Neat show, and they don't gloss over the mix of people on the ship, which is honest. I was worried it would be a string of perfect hero candidates, as a lot of military-sanctioned TV is apt to be.

What's the deal with the racist guy who'd rather get kicked out of the navy than work and bunk "with niggers"?

When he joined, did he think there was some kind of "white's only" club he could join? :wtf:

Any Canadians check out Jetstream on Discovery channel?

It follows a group of Canadian Air Force pilots as they attempt to become F-18 fighter pilots. It's more focused on the job and less on the personal lives than Carrier is, and it's in a totally different format, but it's another military "reality"-type show I thought people might be interested in.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  9. CorporalClegg

^
    Looks interesting, but I'm not Canadian.

10. Malcom

He's not a racist. His crewmates didn't think so. He's just an idiot who wanted 'out'. And it's easy to get 'out' because the USN was told to get rid of 30K sailors in three years.

I'm surprised the ship has no 'phantom crapper'. It must have one!

11. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

^ :guffaw:Did you serve? We had 2 on my ship during my first cruise. Both of them fell down a couple ladders. :D

This is the only video that I know of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3Iz7b95-8&feature=related It starts about 20 seconds into the video.

I didn't see all of "Carrier" and what I did see didn't show anything.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  12. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Land bases with long wide runways and and a place where you can get a drink after.:lol:

13. Malcom

I watched these scenes with a friend with no association with any of the services and she turned to me and noted, "NOW I understand why you say those rude things about the Air Force!"

14. Malcom

I've always been surprised none of the Treks made reference to a Phantom Crapper. You know Voyager had to have one. They're not nearly so common in the sub force.

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are they still airing on TV?

Just caught episode 4... and Kuala Lumpur isn't a country... and it really isn't hard core oppressive - case in point, The Amazing Race has been in Malaysia twice, if I remember correctly. It's still pretty fucking oppressive, but by the standards set by some countries, it's not as bad as they made it out to be.

Really interesting show though... I kind of wish there was more of a cohesive narrative though... just sticking with a few people rather than pick out random stories. The racist Navy hating guy was kind of amusing though. :p

16. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

17. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I noticed. I just found it weird that the whole thing is up on website but only a few episodes are... "available" through alternate sources.

18. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was on USS GEORGIA from 93-95 and we had a phantom crapper. One of the nukes. He crapped in a trash bag, it ended up in the Trash Room's compactor and 3000 lbs. of hydraulic pressure fucked up that entire room. No one ever figured out who. I thought it was the stuff of legend until it happened on my boat. :guffaw: