Captain Solok

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sadara, Mar 9, 2013.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Sisko is as competitive as Solok is and takes the rivalry more seriously because he's been often (if not always) at the losing end of it. Sisko has far more incentive to beat Solok, IMO.

2. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty big stretch. Solok clearly didn't like non-Vulcans, but there was nothing to suggest that he wanted them all dead.

3. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I agree that it's taking the idea of Solok's prejudices too far. Hell, Solok was decorated for his actions in defense of the Federation, that alone suggests he gives a shit about humans.

4. C.E. Evans

There's not really anything to suggest he didn't like non-Vulcans, for that matter. He boasted that Vulcans were superior because they aren't governed by their emotions, but that does not equate to a dislike of non-Vulcans, but rather snobbery.

And Vulcans can be very snobbish at times.
    Exactly. Solok wanting to play baseball--of all things--with Sisko...

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see any difference between the two. If you like someone, you will - by definition - not consider yourself superior to them.

6. C.E. Evans

That's what a rivalry is. I've seen (and experienced) competitive relationships where put-downs and ribbing were common. They'd talk bad about one another, but wouldn't let anyone else do it.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

^ So are you suggesting that there is some other way Sisko should have responded to Solok? To play along with the game, as it were (like the Dozens)?

8. C.E. Evans

Not sure what you mean by that, but there really was no way that Sisko was going to pass up Solok's baseball challenge.

9. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And that's why Solok picked it. The deck is really stacked in Solok's favor. Vulcans being stronger, smarter, and all that, there is little that Sisko would be capable of defeating Solok at. That's why "manufactured triumph" was the way to go at the end. It allowed Sisko and the Niners to not be as bothered by the loss and Solok didn't get the reaction he wanted.

It seems like Solok isn't even really looking for a challenge. It's too easy to provoke Sisko given their history so I'd imagine Solok does it for his own amusement.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

I never once got the impression that Solok and Sisko were actually supposed to be friends. They certainly didn't act like they were.

Which he is not supposed to have. ;)

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Vulcans can't amuse themselves? Then why do they have games and music?

12. Sadara

Vulcans have emotions; they're just supposed to refrain from showing and acting on them.. That seems to be the curiosity with Solok (at least mine anyway). He very obviously acts on his emotions. He derives some sort of amusement, pleasure, whatever from rubbing his superiority in Sisko's face. In fact, he goes out of way to do it as evidenced by the baseball game challenge. I mean, he had to convince the other Vulcans in joining him in that "illogical human bonding ritual."

13. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Solok and Sisko are certainly not friends, but I can't see either of them shirking their duty just to satisfy a personal vendetta. If Solok really hated all humans, he could've joined the Vulcan intelligence agency that was mentioned in that TNG, rather than join an interspecies agency with a large percentage of humans like Starfleet.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

But remember, Solok's ship has an all-Vulcan crew. Perhaps he asked for that. It could help him stay away from humans for as long as he could get away with.

15. C.E. Evans

They were friends in the figurative sense of having known each other since they were cadets. "An old acquaintance" could also be used instead.
    I don't see why not. Vulcans may not break out in side-splitting laughter, but I imagine there are many things that Vulcans find quietly amusing--such as Humans.
    :vulcan:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  16. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But I thought the entire idea of Vulcans was that they TRY to be logical and unemotional, but clearly have and are capable of emotions just like any other species, but continually suppress them, which is why they often come out in distorted and sometimes dangerous forms (like the Vulcan sniper), and that's why things like the kolinhar exist at all.

17. Sadara

I have to admit the end of Field of Fire baffled me. I don't doubt there are Vulcans who go off the deep end and commit crimes, but I'm not sure how murdering people for having photos depicting happiness in their quarters is somehow dictated by logic.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Chu'lak was nuts. Isn't that enough?

19. Sadara

Not really. I would have found it more interesting to hear more than just "logic demanded it."

20. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Other people being happy reminds Chulak of being happy with his friends, which makes him sad. Therefore it is logical to remove the sources of his unhappiness.