CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Feb 4, 2010.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

joe johnson's said in an interview SFX magazine that this is not an uber-patriotic flag-waving movie. it's about Steve and how he's a good guy who wants to do what's right even if that's not always what the brass over him wants.

sounds like a winning idea to me.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been fine with the direction and tone of the film from what has been described about it. Plus Joss did some revisions I believe so you know he probably tweaked somethings and added in potentially more comic book references. Actually that begs the question, do we know exactly what he did yet?

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whedon evidently gets quietly hired to do dialogue polishes on a number of movies, and that's probably what he's done here.

According to the New York Times, Paramount's foreign marketing folks have come to the conclusion that the value of the "Captain America" brand is greater than the negative aspects in most nations (even, the article particularly notes, France). The movie will therefore be marketed with the title Captain America - The First Avenger in all countries except for Russia, Ukraine and South Korea.

Because of anti-American resentment in those three countries it will be called simply The First Avenger there. The movie isn't expected to be released in China, which limits the number of foreign films given wide release every year.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :techman:

5. Admiral_Young

I know Whedon is a script doctor but Marvel Studios specifically brought asked him to tweak the Captain America script after they hired him to direct and re-write the "Avengers". I do remember Joss stating that he tweaked some of the story but don't think he stated what.

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Any changes he made would have been minor; from what I recall, they'd already locked in the major setpieces, etc. when he was brought in.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would assume it might just be stuff that would need to be consistent with Avengers.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I really liked the newest trailer, the grenade scene was priceless with Tommy Lee Jones' deadpan response to Steve's "sacifice" being that "He's still too short." :guffaw:

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that scene where Cap is beat to a pulp by a 90 lb woman with no fighting skills whatsoever...that was pure Whedon.

10. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Something that occurred to me watching the commercial yesterday -- how did they not manage to release this on July 4th??? Seems like a no-brainer to me...

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly never thought of that, but it would have been perfect.

12. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Because Transformers 3: Fuck You, That's Why is sitting astride the Fourth of July, and going up against it would have been suicide.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Because they didn't want to be smashed flat by Transformers 3 - that simple.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Ask Larry Crowne, the Hanks/Roberts movie. Even as counter-programming it didn't work. Let alone a movie targeted at the same demo.

15. Klaus

I figured that was it, but there's no way this is going to be a real money competitor for the Bayfest anyhow. Not enough non-geek following, methinks... and I doubt it'll have great international legs because of the title, whether it's preachy or not lol.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Larry Crowne wasn't that well-reviewed either. Evidently there wasn't much of a hook to it other than the charm and renown of its stars (not a minor thing, there, just not enough to save it...)

17. Admiral_Young

"Captain America: First Avenger" is up against "Friends With Benefits" a screw ball sex comedy. I'd take that competition over the monster beast that is "Transformers: Dark of the Moon". The following weekend "Cowboys and Aliens" comes out I believe. TFDOM will probably still be in the top five by that time.

18. Klaus

Cowboys and Aliens looks like a lot of fun, but I have a bad vibe about that one's general success too...

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh...It oughta appeal to the Firefly Fans, and there's almost nothing to fulfill the niche of Western + SciFi, so it could go either way. Serenity did pretty well didn't it? How do the budgets compare?

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was more of a pet project of Tom Hanks who also directed it. The budget was only $30m which indicates he deferred or he and Julia both worked for scale.

Either way it'll likely not lose money. So the gamble by the studio wasn't as large.

If Captain America opened opposite TF3 it most likely would have. Safer bet, steer clear of Transformers.