Capaldi's Regeneration

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Feb 2, 2017.

1. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I came to a realization after Hell Bent. Now this will only make sense if you've watched the 90s Canadian animated series ReBoot. The classic version of the Master is Megabyte, suave and intelligent. Whereas the modern version is Hexadecimal, chaotic and completely insane.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Basically, yes.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

When Virgin Books considered regenerating the Doctor from Sylvester McCoy to David Troughton circa 1994, the Doctor was going to step on a landmine and be blown to bits, triggering the regeneration. It never happened, obviously, but the idea of a less-than-intact Time Lord body regenerating has certainly been considered.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

There used to be an idea that a Time Lord couldn't regenerate if his body was too badly damaged. The Third Doctor was so irradiated & far gone when his time came that he needed some help from another Time Lord to regenerate.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which was briefly brought up again in Heaven Sent.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

For all we know though, Missy was exaggerating about how many snipers it would take to kill her, just so there would be more of them for her to kill later.
    But what she said gave UNIT the idea they could kill her and therefore send Clara in.

7. The Wormhole

Except, Missy never killed any of the snipers. She killed the non-uniformed armed personnel who accompanied Clara. The snipers were wearing uniforms.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

True, but Missy/Master is a known liar. She could've just not gotten around to killing any of the snipers.

It seems in character for her to get as many potential victims around her as possible.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And where would Roberts fit in? Is he classic or Nu, or is he the very obvious bridge between the two?

Surely the problem is that Ainley was too similar to Delgardo, both in looks and personality. Just as each of the Doctor’s personalities is different from the last shouldn’t the Master’s be as well?

Theoretically Missy should be the sanest Master given that she’s the only one who doesn’t have the drumming in her head.

Or does she? And is it the assumption that Delgado/Ainley/Roberts etc. had it as well? I’ve always assumed so, I just theorised that the drumming wasn’t that mentally debilitating until Yana/Saxon, that it was something that the earlier Masters could tune out. Or do people think it was only something that affected the Master since the Time War? I seem to recall that it was implied the drumming was what turned the Master evil to begin with but I might be remembering wrong, been a while since I watched The Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords.

I’d still like to see a good(ish) Master, one who’d work with the Doctor but who would perhaps harden over time (sort of the opposite to Capaldi’s Doctor) or else one who approached death with sadness, knowing that with the next regeneration he/she would likely revert to type.

10. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

That's somewhat hard to say. He most closely resembled how Davie's wrote the character with being more weird and having strange powers so I guess if you wanted you could classify him as a nuMaster.

11. The Wormhole

It is heavily implied in Sound of Drums that when the Master began hearing the drums as a child is when he began turning evil. After all, when recounting the story of the Untempered Schism the Doctor notes "some believe that's when it all began."

Starkers likes this.
  12. Lonemagpie

Then End Of Time has that happen when Rassilon sends it through to the child Master on the last day of the Time War, retroactively making that happen...

Starkers likes this.
  13. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

The Delgado (with Pratt/Beevers) Master was allegedly the last incarnation of his original set, so he'd probably learned to at least minimise the effects of the sound. Ainley was't a Time Lord body, so maybe he didn't get the sound, the same with Roberts.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The kiss that the Master gave the doctor was actually a genetic transfer.

Through the course of the Christmas special(or season 10) the doctor starts acting like the Master

The only way for the doctor to rid himself of the master is to regenerate and burn off all the Master's cells that live in the doctor

Vice Versa The Master is becoming more like the doctor(adventurous and maybe even good?)

The Doctor had kissed The master in "Death in Heaven" so the doctor already had an ace up his sleeve.

The Master discovers this and decides to regenerate also.

The first Chibnall episode would have the master and doctor recovering after the regenerations

The 13th doctor would chase the master

15. Lonemagpie

They pretty much did that enough in Logopolis/Castrovalva, though...

16. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Capaldi's Doctor has been around for at least 25 years at this point (including his 'honeymoon' with River). Shouldn't River/Nardole have noticed by now that Twelve was acting increasingly odd? Even for Missy, that's a long time to wait for one of her traps to go off.

My interpretation of the kiss was a) for fun, just to see what it was like and b) to freak the Doctor the hell out (look at the end of the episode again - he was nauseous when he put two and two together)!

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The 11th Doctor was surprised about his regeneration. He thought he had run out.

We knew he was going to, sure. But he didn't.

Actually, really, only the 4th knew he was going to. For all the other Docs it was, "Shit, I'm dying now?"

Hell, 5 wasn't even sure it would happen.

18. The Wormhole

Only in Time of the Doctor, that being the episode that Moffat decided there was indeed no more regenerations left. The Eleventh Doctor mentioned twice prior to being able to regenerate. Plus the Tessalecta in his form created a fake regeneration effect when it was shot.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, the fake regeneration was for the benefit of people watching, who probably didn't know about 10th's "hand regeneration", and maybe not even The War Doctor, so would have assumed the 11th Doctor would regenerate, so the effect was added because the bad guys expected it. I think the only real time where the 11th Doctor's lack of regeneration is really in question was when he healed River's hand with regeneration energy. That's pretty hard to justify.

20. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Was thinking of the upcoming regeneration and the previous (unrealized) reports that Missy would be a "companion" for #12. So how about this -

12 and Missy have an encounter which leads to the mutual simultaneous regeneration of each. Reborn, their memories of this past mistrust are blocked/forgotten. They go off in the TARDIS together on adventures; sometimes resolved through the Doctor's "beneficence", sometimes through the Master's maleficence (but ultimately with repercussions that turn up later). As the series arc progresses the lost memories, sparked by theses actions/consequences begin to emerge and soon distrust, friction and ultimately betrayal occurs within this "team". They face off again in the season finale - of course the Doctor prevails but the fate of the Master remains obscure; regenerates? maybe but whatever the outcome, the character is given a rest (which I think is needed).

This scenario harkens back to some of the intentions that writer had with Pertwee/Delgato and also, as I said, makes a Doctor/Master companionship a reality. Looking at previous replies, it seems like many have similar takes on this. Makes for a good season arc I think.