Can Wolverine drown?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Thespeckledkiwi, Sep 19, 2008.

1. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, things have gone to hell. Give me the days of Clairemont's X-Men and Byrne's FF.

2. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Quiteapart from Wolverine how'd whoever that is survive standing on a tiny rock in the middle of what is apparently lava?

3. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I just read on Wikipedia that there was a story in the comics where someone hacked into Professor Xavier's Cerebro database. In it he stored contingency plans that could be used against mutants. One of the files was on Wolverine. It says that the only way he can be killed is by decapitation and separation of the head from the body quickly (as in separating them by great distance).

5. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

I do like Astonishing X-Men. They brought Wolverine's powers back down a bit and gave him his biting edge humor again.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marc Guggenheim's last asc on Wolverine also pretty much removed Logan's ability to return from almost complete destruction. It basically returned him to something resembling his Claremont-era power level.

Of course everyone else at Marvel seems to be ignoring this.

7. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they explained that in the mid 90's, adamantium is a mixture of different materials and it's the act of cooling that solidifies the molecular structure to near solid (the only mutant capable of cutting wolverine's bones is the silver samurai, because he can alter the atomic structure of his swords to a sharpness of less than an atom's width)

8. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

^ "less" than at atom's width? - it inherently couldn't have an edge narrower than 1 atom.

9. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used to like Wolverine because his powers were more down to earth. He had little powers and a lot of attitude. Very much like my another favourite, Batman. But yeah, it seems that it has become totally ridiculous.

10. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, but it isn't molded with heat, it's a 2-part resin.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished reading the Age of Apocalypse TPB's the other week. Great stuff, but this got me thinking. Wouldn't Wolverine's hand have grown back after Cyclops cut it off?

12. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    That is completely rediculous. No organic creature should be able to survive that kind of damage. Fuck, Jack Harkness couldn't survive that.

As to drowning, I think that you should be able to drown Wolverine. I think it would take a lot longer to drown him than to drown most other people but I'd like to think that Wolverine's healing abilities are a generally biological process and that depriving him of oxygen would prevent him from healing.

As to Professor Xavier's plan of decapitating Wolverine and then separating the head & body very quickly, if Wolverine is so rediculously powerful already, might that not really kill him but merely paralyze him by depriving his head of any mobility and his body of any control.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, I was thinking there are holes in a skull. Ways for the heat and flames to enter. So goodby brain. But I'm no expert.

14. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

The worst part about that sequance, is not that he actually came back from it, its that he actually heard what the guy was saying, while he was just a skeleton, WITH NO FUCKING EARS!

And he didn't come back in an hour, it took him about 5 seconds to fully regenerate, just long enough for smug bad guy to finish his scentance, and Wolvy to come back and add a one liner to the end of it.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds more and more awful. Maybe I missed it in the thread but what book is that from?

16. mostlyharmless

mostlyharmless Vice Admiral Admiral

It can get a bit confusing, but I suggest picking up Uncanny X-men from issue 500...it´s a clean jump in point, and the stories are quite accesible.