Can DS9 Ever Be Surpassed or Remade (Think J.J. Abrams Reboot Universe)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by VulcanMindBlown, Jun 3, 2016.

1. VulcanMindBlown

VulcanMindBlown Commander Red Shirt

I was wondering whether there will ever be something in Trek greater than DS9 or have DS9 remade like the reboot universe started by J.J. Abrams. Could the reboot surpass the original DS9 series?

My opinion, probably not, even Enterprise or Voyager couldn't be outdone with a reboot. We got so used to how things were and they were (most of the time) their best ideas.

On a side not, Enterprise could have been better if they had a strong TOS fan like Manny Coto in charge, though I'd hope that some of the themes in S1 & S2 could be kept.

2. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Yeah, you *could* remake anything - if you hit a sweet spot with your writers and your cast.

But would it feature on a potential remake list? No. The fans know it, wider sci-fi fans might know it, noone else remembers it. And as for me? Well, I prefer they create rather than recreate.

Jedman67 likes this.
  3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Remaking it would be silly, as the niche crowd that would actually care about seeing more DS9 is the same group that would be pissed about the changes.

Could DS9 be surpassed? Sure. There are great writers out there with great creative visions, it's just a matter of whether the man with the money wants to hire them.

4. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather have a proper HD remaster of DS9, no need for a reboot.

Jinn, shapeshifter and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  5. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One might have said the exact same thing about BSG a few years ago.

6. JirinPanthosa

Yeah, but BSG is the main series of the franchise, and they made it a completely different series with nothing in common but the premise and some character names.

Sure, they could come up with a new series that is called Deep Space Nine and has characters named Ben Sisko and Miles O'Brien but a totally different and brilliant creative approach, but why bother when you'd get more nostalgic interest from the TOS and TNG wells and would have more freedom and equal interest just using your own ideas.

7. Jetboogieman

Jetboogieman Commander Red Shirt

Look... I'm a Niner through and through.

But we need to get over the idea that there'll be a remake, reboot, reunion or movie.

It ain't gonna happen, period.

DS9 will be remembered as that obscure middle Trek by outsiders and the best trek to grace the small screen to those who know good television :nyah:

But then as now, it'll never appeal to the general public, no one will ever convince paramount to put money into it.

stardream and Relayer1 like this.
  8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

If it was remade in the JJ-style then definitely not! For one thing the station is too dark for his trademark, plus focusing on more and more mundane action at the expense of the characters would kill what DS9 achieved, and I really don't want to see Kira acting like a stuck-up bitch because her boyfriend is distant and doesn't talk about how he feels.

If it was given a BSG-style remake then I'd find myself interested in what they opted to do with the show (though I think a BSG/SGU remake of Voyager would be needed at the same time, to at least make the ship seem like it's gone the distance and is actually suffering from all the trials it faces on the long journey home).

stardream likes this.
  9. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I get your point. My opinion is that DS9 (as it eventually played out) and VOY (as a premise) are the two series of the franchise that lend themselves best to television reboots in today's environment of serialized appointment television and/or streaming. But I get it that a more popular or obvious choice could be "TOS/TNG were/are popular, so let's just do that again." I'm open to any of it, but it's always fun to speculate. It's a human right, is it not? ;)

To me, BSG as a "franchise" actually fell into the "why bother" category under your criteria. It only benefits from nostalgia from its original niche fans who have continued to faithfully carry the banner decades on. And many of them hated the new version from what I can tell, so it didn't even benefit from nostalgia. Haha. I only vaguely remember the original series from my childhood, so all of the changes in the new version didn't bother me. I did go back and watch the original BSG "movie" and some of the first season. I was surprised at how truly good it was at the beginning.

10. JirinPanthosa

The original BSG didn't have as big a fan base as DS9 but enough people knew of it for the title to pique the interest of casual scifi fans and attract more viewers than if it were called Starship Galaxy. That might work for any of the niche franchises like Stargate or Babylon 5 if they wanted to reboot those because nobody has heard from them since the original content ended and because there aren't more popular incarnations to choose from.

11. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I tend to regard DS9 as the one Trek series that could have been greater than the others in the franchise. Unfortunately, the writing nearly tripped it up . . . especially during the last three seasons. I never thought it really reached its full potential. So yes, it can be surpassed. But not with J.J. Abrams, who strikes me as a very unoriginal filmmaker.

Jinn, Bry_Sinclair and Jedman67 like this.
  12. TwoJakes

TwoJakes Commander Red Shirt

We've already had four series that were better, so the answer to the question is "yes."

The Lensman likes this.
  13. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I don't regard "Enterprise" and "The Original Series" as better than DS9. Not by a long shot.

And I tend to regard "Next Generation" and "Voyager" as equal in quality.

14. TwoJakes

I'd put DS9 and Enterprise ina near tie for last place, with Enterprise coming out slightly ahead. Don't get me wrong, I like Ds9, just it's not a good as all the others.

15. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. I can see an eventual "inspired by" spinoff approach to DS9; make a second series to complement the 2017 show, set on a space station. Take some of the greater elements and weave them into a new story.

Jinn likes this.
  16. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Our best chance at seeing DS9 again would probably be as part of a TNG ERA reboot within the Abramsverse. Nu Enterprise and other ships w/could layover there before departing to or returning from through the Wormhole.[/dreaming]

17. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

JJ would feel it necessary to add more daddy issues, idiot plots driven by people who refuse to divulge information for no good reason, bad science bordering on magic, and, uh, lens flares.

Paradise City and Bry_Sinclair like this.
  19. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Add to that Sisko WOULD BE SHOUTING ALL THE TIME, Dax would prance around in her underwear, and Worf would have so much bling that his face would be almost entirely obscured.

Paradise City and stardream like this.
  20. TwoJakes

Blingons !!!!!!