BSG (TOS) questions

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Dec 15, 2023.

1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

considering they were different networks...i doubt it was real...probably just speculation because of Glen Larson being a connecting factor

the G-man likes this.
  2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Buck Rogers knew exactly what it was, at least in the first season.

"Planet of the Slave Girls"
    "Vegas in Space"
    "Unchained Woman"
    "Planet of the Amazon Women"
    "Cosmic Whiz Kid"
    "Cruise Ship to the Stars"
    "Space Vampire"
    "Space Rockers"

You don't have titles like this without having your tongue in cheek a little bit.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fun fact: Johnny Harris wrote "Odyssey" specifically for "Space Rockers". He wrote it to match the actors' movements.

And it's a really cool :censored:ing song!

Besides, that episode has Jerry Orbach in it, so it gets a free pass for that reason as well. :mallory:

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same studio/production company, and there was a precident set by the Six Million Dollar Man when (for a time) Six Million Dollar Man aired on ABC at the same time as the Bionic Woman's later seasons were picked upran on NBC after the latter was canceled by ABC. :shrug:

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

&

You forgot the otherwise solid episode, "Return of the Fighting 69th"! :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Some of the early season one escapades, and more of season two than people would want to know, haven't aged badly at all.

I know some loathe "Space Rockers" and, while being oversimplified and copping bits off of some off-the-shelf disco song, isn't terrible and the song bits are nicely utilized...

"Cruise Ship to the Stars" is cringe. Indeed, click the button for a great example of this:

(Right away, look at the stunt doubles in the background and not be convinced that most of them aren't already high on some mint-flavored space smokes...)

Let's see: The perfect-human-who-also-has-voiceover-dubbing-cuz-nobody's-perfect absurdly absurd subplot is also one issue for the kiddies already, and they won't have a clue that silver oddly-shaped robot is trying to chat up gold oddly-shaped robot for what amounts to the e-version of was said to be happening inside Studio 54's rubber room. The music clues them into some apparent hijinx, and gold oddly-shaped robot keeps repeating "booty booty booty"... Now, adults sitting through this-- I wanna know what they were thinking of at the time, assuming nothing eaten, smoked, or drank was done a few minutes prior to its airing on that exciting Thursday night lineup... if it were Friday, it'd be far easier to guess. Since most would likely be at Studio 54 instead...

And now with that out of my system, here's a cool reference site:

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (a Titles & Air Dates Guide) (epguides.com)
    (great list with links to individual synopses... in color!)

Ironically, most of the Ardala episodes are some of the worst offenders, unless one prefers high camp over a more melded blend of action adventure with funny moments -- at which point the Ardala episodes will have aged the best.

BSG definitely has dated better as show and concept, despite its sanitized retcons and some camp of its own - among the problems, which Stam Fine definitely pointed out... The reboot was also fairly solid, though I prefer the original's use of other beings creating killer robots, which didn't look like us. Then again, BSG1980* introduced "human Cylons" and in such a decidedly asinine way, it's no wonder the reboot felt a need to put them to proper use. And for a long while, they did... it is a good concept/development...

Side note: Stam's video definitely is spot-on as I recall, especially with the bulk of multipart stories being better. I recently saw a Buck video retrospective, but I don't think it was Stam's. I hope he did one...

Ironically, Gil Gerard wasn't wrong in wanting the show to be a bit more serious and taking itself seriously and, dang, that season one finale is just awful (despite containing less camp than previous Ardala escapades). Season 2, save for the Mark Lenard episode, I've better memories of when watching the then-newly released blu-ray.

* Yep, the crap one thanks to, among other things, a write-in, since - even with Studio 54 back in the day - a love-in wouldn't have gotten much done, as was retooled as a show for kids and nerds and all that, so go fig. Amazed how much the theatrical release was able to show, which made the universe feel that much more complex... ahead of its time, it was... by the time "Firefly" was made, those concerns were rendered moot.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season 2 to me seemed to have a facade of being more serious but was just as silly really, dwarves, satyrs, etc. However, I could never get past taking sexy strong pilot leader Wilma Deering and turning her into a flight attendant (complete with uniform). I'll take fun disco Buck Rogers over that.

Gary Mitchell, Qonundrum and Starkers like this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

It just hit me:

Baltar says "My colony was to be spared!"

Was it ever established exactly which colony was his?

Also, was Baltar ever in the Colonial military? Since it was his expedition that discovered Carillon, I'm guessing he was...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Baltar was supposed to have been going back to his own Battlestar as the Battle began. Later appearing on what looks like Caprica talking to centurions about the reports of survivors. So he obviously got of Atlantia before it was death squadded. He didn't seem like he was in command of that ship, but he seemed to take to command of a Basestar pretty easily.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Apart from Adama and Baltar, most of the representatives in the initial council scenes (before everything went to hell) did not seem like military types. Baltar was probably a civilian at that time, although I don't doubt he had military experience.

Yeah, between the way Baltar carries himself (which definitely suggests a man who's used to being in charge) and the fact that his expedition discovered Carillon...he's definitely a veteran. Don't know if he ever rose to the command of an actual Battlestar, but it's definitely close.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  10. Ithekro

Battlestar Pegasus likely survived its battle and was again lost for a time. It was suggested that the ship would be seen again.
    During the first series, the Colonials lost four (maybe more at Cimtar) battlestars, and the Cylons lost four basestars (Carillon, Gamoray (two), and Galaxy's Edge).

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Five battlestars (Atlantia, Triton, Pacifica, Acropolis and Columbia) were lost at Cimtar.

We don't know exactly how many battlestars they had in the first place. I always assumed there was one battlestar per colony, but I don't think there's any concrete evidence.

12. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe the Pegasus was lost prior to the events of Saga of a Star World in TOS.

13. Ithekro

Galactica herself is something like 500 yahren old.

14. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I had the Marvel oversize tabloid edition with adopted the pilot and the first couple of episodes and in the illustrations and captions it is mentioned that there are twelve Battlestars, one for each colony. Where Galatica and Pegasus fit into those twelve Battlestars, I do not know.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

BSG and Buck Rogers had the same effects house…Buck’s pistol and modified shuttle wound up in BSG’s Eastern Alliance episodes.

Galactica squaring off with Draconia before the latter was attacked by Base Stars would be a good cliffhanger.

16. Shawnster

It was clear that civilians like Serena (but she was media) recognized Adama and knew his connection to Galactica.

I had the impression (perhaps because I read that same oversized comic plus the novel) that each colony was represented by a Battlestar and Caprica was Galactica's home. Adama's family was living on Caprica.

17. Shawnster

Oops, double tap

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  18. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the tennis outfits didn't seem authentic at all. They looked good but didn't feel like spaceship uniforms... B+ for idea and not being cliche, but this was around the time of ST TMP as well...

Yeah, the Mark Lenard headless episode ("Journey to Oasis") was dumb, as was "Shgoratchx", but "Time of the Hawk" was an excellent opener and I wish they did more with Hawk rather than become Buck's pet afterward as there was clearly much that could be explored, "Testimony of a Traitor" (VHS tape aside) was pretty compelling, "The Dorian Secret" had a pretty good twist... I recall "The Guardians" having a nice solid underpinning in horror as well... had the series continued, Hawk likely would have been explored properly.

"The Satyr" was surprisingly generic though kudos to Gil Gerard for evil acting, and I don't even remember "The Crystals" at all. I don't recall "The Hand of Goral" either, though the title reminded me of the surprisingly good Jack Palance episode from season 1... that one I want to look up again...

"The Goldem Man" was also somewhat naff and "Mark of the Saurian" was a cliche.

I'm no longer sure that Hawk's background would get explored as it was ditched a little too quickly and there was enough time in the slotted episode count to have returned to a follow-up at least... it was an amazingly strong setup, though...

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Next BSG question:

In TOS, how many Viper squadrons is the Galactica supposed to have? IIRC, we only ever hear of Blue Squadron (Apollo's), but there had to have been others. We never actually saw them, did we?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  20. Ithekro

Blue and Red Squadrons I believe.