Bryan Singer sex abuse allegations

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by the G-man, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that the alleged sexual abuse of minors (or adults for that matter) by powerful people, one of whom may or may not be a well known film director..on a board dedicated to discussing movies and television... was a verboten topic.

Or is this okay with you because Singer's alleged victim is white?

;)

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

4. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You can't be that ignorant. Of course, you know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about being convicted in the media, or BBS's like this. Having a career and a life destroyed because we have only heard one side of a inflammatory story.

I'm suggesting that we instead of adding more fuel to a fire that maybe, for once, we don't hang the celebrity. That maybe we act like grown ups instead of rushing to judgement.

Exactly, on the information available. Which there really isn't. It's accusations. Rumor. So, if you want to create your opinion based on rumor and innuendo, go ahead. But you don't get to lecture from on high.

You are taking gossip and making it fact. What does that say about you?

No, because I'm not ignorant. I know what the First Amendment means and how it's actually applied.

If you ACTUALLY thought that I was LITERALLY meaning it in a legal way, then you've got some issues.

Again, to be clear, because it's clear you didn't understand, I'm talking about being convicted in the court of public opinion, and for a person who relies on the good will of the public to see his movies, to get hired, etc, etc, it could be damning.

A good comparison might be in the 1950s, to be accused of being a communist. Doesn't matter if you were or not, the whispers were enough.

But, you go on and you make your opinion based on what you read on the internets. I'm sure those facts are totally reliable.

6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sexual abuse is bad enough but why no focus on the drugs? Is it so acceptable for Hollywood and media types to obtain and use drugs that this aspect doesn't raise an eyebrow. Hollywood needs to crack down (pun intended) on this sort of thing hard. Random drug test and ban actors, directors and staff from working for 6 months+ like sportsmen.

Respect my authoratai!

7. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Isn't it up to anyone's own decisions how they treat their own bodies?

8. Pauln6

Sure as long as they aren't funding terrorism, slavery, and murder. This isn't unique to drugs industries but the argument holds true. While it's illegal these wealthy people that are glamourising the practice should suffer a punishment commensurate with their incomes.

9. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

You sure seem to have some issues with "these wealthy people".

You know what you could do? You could stop watching TV and films, stop reading books, stop listening to music. Short of a nuclear bombing from the orbit, that's the only way to make sure your money doesn't add to their "glamourising the practice".

10. the G-man

It seems to me that the bigger issue in the case with drugs is the allegation that some people may have been drugged and/or abused while under the influence of drugs. That's a separate and distinct form of sexual abuse from abuse of someone who's underaged. As such, it warrants some discussion from that angle.

11. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Only and if it turns out to be true.

12. Pauln6

Right so I punish myself because of their lawbreaking? Unless everybody is willing to punish themselves too the lawbreaker suffers no detriment whatsoever. Even when one sponsor pulls out another one is ready to jump right in.

In my defence I'm fairly intolerant of anybody rich or poor using illegal drugs. What I was inferring was that a fine that can be quite hefty for an ordinary person means little to a wealthy person. I'd have no issue with people using home grown weed occasionally personally, it's less harmful than tobacco and alcohol. But when obtained from a criminal source I really don't like the ripple effect it has on society.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  13. the G-man

So, your position is that it isn't a valid issue to discuss in general from a public policy standpoint, unless and until a particular celebrity is found guilty of it?

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The idea that entertainers might be as bereft of sexual morality as Republican officeholders is disturbing.

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    You have proof of this in Singer's case, rather than tarring with aspersion and innuendo which is all you've done?

Baiting now?

16. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

In general, no.
    In this case, in particular, yes.

I think it's unfair to paint Singer - as this thread is about him - with that broad abuse-brush now, since nothing is proven yet.

Maybe a separate thread?

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

This thread has the feeling of a rabble rouser trying to stir up the masses with "Ooooooh, a Hollywood celebrity is accused of something distasteful! Let's string him up!" before this case can even go to trial. I get the feeling the OP is envisioning Singer as another Jeffrey Jones.

18. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Who looks like an aged version of Conan O'Brien in his Wiki-photo

19. Pauln6

We've had a spate of historical investigations in the wake of the Jimmy Saville scandal over here. Very few of them lead to prosecutions and fewer still to conviction regardless of long standing concerns. So many people stepped forward with Saville that it's likely he would have been nailed if he'd been alive. Without forensic evidence convictions based on limited allegations are a tougher sell. I don't anticipate that the allegations will get all that far, especially if they were not taken further at the time. Some celebrities will pay their accusers off to avoid bad publicity though.

When I was 21, I effectively 'sexually assaulted' a rather willing 16-year old which was technically illegal in the UK as the age of consent was then 21... although that might only have applied to buggery, I'm not that sure now as they equalised the age of consent here shortly after. Since he was more experienced than I was would that be an example of a young man grooming an older guy or was I morally in the wrong? Two weeks later he was dating someone aged 28...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  20. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I think it was Jimmy Carr on QI who said, that around the time the BBC Broadcasting House was being demolished and the complex was a huge building site, it was the safest time it has ever been for children to play there.

Of course you weren't morally in the wrong.