British series approach?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Crazyewok, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A British Star Trek would be horrible, and i'm a brit. There is no way enough money would be put in to make it look and feel legit, it'd be like Doctor Who, mickey mouse special effects and all.

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Well, a shorter summer "miniseries" season seems to be working for CBS with Under the Dome. I've heard speculation that it's success may lead to the format being used for other shows in the future. Why not Trek?

3. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You haven't seen Who for a few years have you.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think there are pros and cons to moving Trek to premium cable, namely with it becoming a Showtime exclusive and less visible to mainstream audiences (and thus smaller as an overall franchise).

5. Garppo

Garppo Cadet Newbie

I thought Elementary was far superior to Sherlock. But that's besides the point, sort of. If the BBC were to make Trek then it would be in mind to sell to the Americans - so you'd have to expect lots of Jack the Ripper based episodes as well as ones set in country estates.

6. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

I'd rather have a show that appeals a lot to a niche audience than a show that appeals a little to a mass audience.

7. C.E. Evans

You may prefer that, but CBS may not. I think they'd rather have Trek be available to the biggest possible audience, rather than become something exclusive to a small audience.

8. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Well I don't work for CBS, so I tend not to speak from their point-of-view. ;)

Personally, considering the dreadful state of network television these days, I'd much rather have Trek on cable.

9. C.E. Evans

I do think there's a good chance that if Trek returns to TV, it'll be on a cable network, but not a premium one.

10. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

I see Game of Thrones used as a comparison quite a bit but didn't GOT peak at 5.4 million in their ratings while I believe STNG ratings were consistently TWICE that.

I mean wasn't the Star Trek finale the series' highest rated episode with something like a 17 rating?

If CBS was getting GOT ratings for a new Star Trek show it wouldn't get a second season. JMHO

11. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1980s/1990s numbers are not the same as today. You can't compare the two. All ratings are down. Plus cable numbers are different from broadcast, and premium is different from cable. The point of 5.4m for GOT is that the numbers are huge for a premium cable show. And Walking Dead is huge for basic cable(approaching low end broadcast numbers).