Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chuck Finley, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

No way can Hank walk away from this. There's just no way. That conversation between he and Marie was just a little too tragic--asking for lightning to strike. It's all over. I got him. We're going to live happily ever after.

No. :( No, I think not. RIP, Hank. Man, Marie's going to lose it. I suspect Walter Jr. will know the truth now because Marie won't have the presence of mind to keep quiet with Hank gone. Perhaps Gomez will be the one to survive the shoot out and tell the tale and oh man......Jesse's not going to end well. Another thing to blame himself for. Walt, you stupid, stupid man. I loved how Walt was staring past Hank the entire time he was being arrested and how Jesse then spit oh him. Yowza.

:cardie: :cardie: :cardie: Maybe this is how Jesse will stay alive. Walt will refuse to cook for the nazi brothers because he's in a rage about Hank and the fact that he now can never go back to Skyler and his kids, so Todd says Jesse can cook for them.

I really don't see how Hank can survive and the integrity of the story remain intact. Hank has to go. Dean Norris is right.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Question is, if they all survive this (and we currently have no reason to believe any of them will), and this all goes to trial, how much of Hank's "investigation" can be admissible as evidence? Much of what he has been doing has been under the table. The book he found in Walt's bathroom that kicked this whole thing off was taken by Hank without a warrant. I doubt the writers will do something so mundane as a courtroom drama for the final episode, but Hank HAD to know that none of this would go well in the long run.

3. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno, I think he has been in similar bad situations before, even times when he thought he and his family would be killed he kept it together. But I get the feeling the creators are way ahead of us on this one.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's looking more and more like Walt won't even see the inside of a prison cell. The way things are going, he'll either die in some kind of shootout or take his own life. Or be strangled to death by Marie. Lol

We already got the "big arrest" scene in this episode, so I can't imagine we'll get another one. It would just seem repetitive, coming so soon after the last.

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's like a bloody Shakespearian tragedy. You stare right into the face of the imminent horror, & then, just when you think it might not come.... it does.

6. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

So now we know where Walt "really lives". It should have been obvious to us. Without his family, Walt really has no use for all that money since he will soon be dead, and without the money Walt's family suffers. It did cross my mind that Jesse could have been talking about the money, but I dismissed it because no one knew where the money was except Walt -- ha.

Hank is a good cop. Using the info abut the van obtained from Huell he put together a plan to get Walt to reveal the location of the cash. Totally realistic that Walt would go off the rails and act without thinking when he thought he might lose the second most important of his possessions. I agree with whoever said that Huell knows Walt (the guy who took out Gut Fring) is capable of anything.

Hard for me to see Hank dying with 3 episodes left but it's for sure we're not going to once again see him only wounded. He has also been my favorite character in the show. Marie will be devastated if Hank dies and I wonder if this might finally get Skyler to turn on Walt and her own interests?

It also occurs to me that if Hank and Gomez die, no one at the DEA will know about the investigation. Yeah, does look like it's headed for Walt versus Jack's gang. But somehow. I think, Madrigal and Lydia will figure into it also.

Throughout most of the episode we see Walt still "caring" for Jesse and for Hank. He is one of the most emotionally complex characters I've ever seen.

Pretty creepy how Todd was crushing on Lydia (anyone think he looks a bit like Matt Damon?). I can see it a little. I wonder if this was (or will become) important? Seems weird they'd go to the trouble of showing it to us with just a few episodes left, and then not have any further meaning.

Great episode.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, Temis used to call him "Matt Damon".

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The book is not admissible because it was found by happenstance and not on public property or in the course of executing a warrant.

Jesse coming into the picture is totally separate. He's essentially a CI/witness for Hank and, by extension, the DEA. Everything that stems from Jesse is legitimate and admissible because he's cooperating with a legal investigation. I'm sure Hank could draw up the appropriate forms to make it stick--he's the boss, after all.

But this is all assuming he's not a corpse next episode.

9. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was of two minds on the last episode. On the one hand, the way they flushed Walt out was terrific; I was laughing from the moment he frantically ran out of the carwash. A few minutes' sequence as good as they get.

But once Hank went Johnny Law on Walt, I started to think things were wrapping up too neatly. How did Hank get so confident about putting Walt away all of a sudden? On the testimony of Jesse as a cooperating witness? Jesse wasn't arrested or advised of his rights as far as we've seen, there's been no prosecutor involvement, and there is no guarantee of Jesse's future cooperation. The other evidence is circumstantial or obtained illegally. Would putting the cuffs on Walt really be so satisfying if Hank eventually has to watch him walk out of court a free man? For a show that is usually so good about tying up motivations and situations, I'm afraid that didn't ring true. Even less so after the phone call to Marie, which felt like a real "other shoe to drop"-type set-up.

I was surprised when the gang opened fire with so little time left in the show. I was picturing more of a protracted standoff in the next episode. Hank and Gomie getting to cover without being shot full of holes was hard to believe, frankly, and if they live through the shootout I'm afraid it might be a hard to swallow, deus ex machina situation.

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Heh...the one thing I noticed throughout the entire firefight is that nobody seemed to get hit. They were flinging some serious lead at each other, particularly from the outlaw side, and the only things that seemed to take any damage were the doors and fenders on on Hank's SUV. Hell, the scatter pattern from that full-auto 12 gauge should have cut both DEA guys down in the first 5 seconds.

11. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe the millions of dollars that he was sure they would find there (with Walts fingerprints all over everything) would be evidence enough to put him away. With Jesse's testimony and the cash to back it up; seems to be a strong circumstantial case.

12. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

The shootout wasn't very well staged. Realistically, even with the short time remaining in the episode, Hank and Gomez should have been dead on the ground with time to spare, unless Todd and his pals are the worst marksmen in history. (Normally, I'm very forgiving of lapses in realism if it contributes to the dramatic impact of a scene, but here it didn't really.)

13. davejames

Well I'm no legal expert, but the fact Walt led them to the money he buried would seem to make it a pretty open and closed case. I don't think Hank would really need a court order in order to simply follow him there, and Walt wouldn't be able to argue the money was all just from gambling.

It also verifies that pretty much everything Jesse said in his confession was true.

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Or was it Meth Damon?

15. davejames

True, but to be fair Breaking Bad has always been a little bit theatrical like that, and played fast and loose with reality at times (like Walt blowing up Tuco's place without somehow dying in the process, or Gus surviving the nursing home explosion long enough to walk out with half a face).

So the fact this resembles more an action movie shootout than something in real life I can live with. As long as they don't have Hank miraculously surviving the entire thing.

16. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Hank was talking to Marie I was expecting their conversation to be cut short with a bullet. Did not expect the protracted standoff.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

My reaction to the ending...

:eek::scream::scream::eek::eek::scream::scream:

NOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOO

God I need next week to arrive NOW!

18. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the probable cause for even looking for the money in the first place? Some writing in a book that can't be effectively tied to the suspect? The word of an known drug dealer, addict and admitted killer? Some warrant-less surveillance?

When Hank started to go through the case files, I thought the idea was going to be that he would go over every inch of the investigation so thoroughly that he would find evidence and build a case so sound that the book and all the stuff Hank did "on his own" could be thrown out and he'd still nail Walt. But that's not the way things went.

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I somehow don't see either Hank or Jesse surviving this.

The only way I can see either one of them surviving is if Walter runs out in the middle of the crossfire and says he'll cook for them if they take Hank and/or Jesse hostage instead of killing them.

Let's also not forget that Hank was most likely recording the conversation with Walt when he started screaming about all the murders he perpetrated to protect Jesse.

20. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I think Hank taking a "by the book" approach was off the table the moment he realized Walt was Heisenberg. He'd been pushing limits for some time with regard to the case, as it had become very personal to him, and to find out it was his own brother-in-law that kept eluding him really sent him over the edge. He didn't want to just build a case, he wanted to humiliate Walt the way Walt had been humiliating him for so long. I think that's what was really behind the drawn-out way Hank arrested him. Hank is way too emotional about this case and the fact that his brother-in-law is the Big Bad for him to be content with being patient and by-the-book.